Shed Hunting 2019

landtracdeerhunter

Middle of the field, when the dogs get tied they stand in one spot for a while.  See a whole 10 foot spot trampled with dog prints in the middle of the field, usually that.  

Nice...I was expecting socks hanging from trees or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cool/unique rack. Any idea on how it died?

Best guess would be hit by a car. Yotes did a number on him and didn’t leave too much for investigation. I didn’t have a saw to cut off the horns so I left it for the next time. Stunk like death so it wasn’t going in the car.

Best guess would be hit by a car. Yotes did a number on him and didn’t leave too much for investigation. I didn’t have a saw to cut off the horns so I left it for the next time. Stunk like death so it wasn’t going in the car.

Yea definitely go back! I always carry a bone saw in the woods now, because when I was in Arizona hunting mt Lions I came across a beauty dead coues deer buck. 8pt, fresh kill. I couldn’t break those horns without a saw

Some bucks are still holding in 8H. I went out for the first time Saturday but backed out after seeing this guy; interestingly this buck worked a scrape, rubbed some trees and then sniffed some does - apparently no one told him it wasn’t November anymore. I’ll get after it again in a couple weeks. I don’t want to push any bucks off my properties right before they drop.

79836a47ba2b71bcc3ec59cb683c3bf3.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

I have never really gone looking for sheds before, but then again, I hunt enough in turkey season, and ive never found a shed. Where should one go looking for sheds?

Look for bedding area's.  Usually thick type of cover that is hard to reach.  This is the time of year due to low ground growth and it is much easier spotting them after the snow is gone but often they stick out in snow also.  Check main trials,  secondary trails and food locations. 

Look for bedding area's.  Usually thick type of cover that is hard to reach.  This is the time of year due to low ground growth and it is much easier spotting them after the snow is gone but often they stick out in snow also.  Check main trials,  secondary trails and food locations. 

What he said. You want to spend as much of your time looking where they spend most of their time...bed and food. It’s just nice being back in the woods!!!

• Like 2

I have never really gone looking for sheds before, but then again, I hunt enough in turkey season, and ive never found a shed. Where should one go looking for sheds?

Ditto what everyone else said. The only thing I’d add is I find at least 80% of my sheds along edges between bedding and food. Most common is just inside tree line next to a ag field. Drive around your area one evening and look where the deer are gathering to eat. Bedding will be within a few hundred yards of that and try to find the trails between.