DEC Looking For Input

Steve D

DEC Querying Hunters about Crossbow Use

Hunters in New York have been allowed to use crossbows to hunt big game since 2011. Currently, crossbows may be used by any person age 14 or older to hunt deer, bear, and most small game species. To better understand the level of crossbows use, and how that may change if laws associated with crossbow use are modified, we’re asking hunters to respond to a brief survey. A random selection of licensed hunters will be sent the questionnaire via e-mail in the coming weeks and are encouraged to respond.

Crossbow

This is a lie. If they were really looking for input they would let all stakeholders participate! Instead they will send out their surveys according to some libtard  formula (DEC probably paid Cornell to come up with it). I would be willing to bet that less than 10% of the people on this forum will receive a survey. So, if you have an opinion, DEC probably isn't going to get it.

Hopefully this is a good indication that full inclusion is nearing its enviable fruition. At least for those 55 and older. I do think it will help keep many older hunters, like myself in the woods. When we can no longer pull or hold the string on our vertical bows.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I am not against any tool used for hunting I will say for my area they did nothing for the deer harvest/take.I also bet that deer take numbers are down from 2011 to current.I do see them as a good thing for older and younger users also the ones that may be afraid of a gun/noise/recoil.

17 minutes ago, grampy said:

Hopefully this is a good indication that full inclusion is nearing its enviable fruition. At least for those 55 and older. I do think it will help keep many older hunters, like myself in the woods. When we can no longer pull or hold the string on our vertical bows.

If it's 55 and over, I'm for it. Just turned 55, lol

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

This is a lie. If they were really looking for input they would let all stakeholders participate! Instead they will send out their surveys according to some libtard  formula (DEC probably paid Cornell to come up with it). I would be willing to bet that less than 10% of the people on this forum will receive a survey. So, if you have an opinion, DEC probably isn't going to get it.

Not sure about that. I got an email the other day from DEC that they were coming out.  Hope to get one.

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Hey. I would support that. Lol.

Even though all of the new generations will complain that they are wusses and cannot draw a bow either so it's unfair...

Just kidding ..sort of.. not really.. ;)

12 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Even though all of the new generations will complain that they are wusses and cannot draw a bow either so it's unfair...

I have a friend that took a bullet through right side of his chest during his service as a Marine in Iraq. He can't hunt with a compound, recurve or any sort of conventional bow. He would if he could but he can't draw it back. So, he hunts with a crossbow.

He's not old. He's only 31. If you would like to call him a wuss, I would love to be there to watch. LOL

Edited by Bigfoot 327
  • Like 1

I hope they bring it into full season. I've bow hunted for years now, bought a crossbow this past summer, and used it this season. You can say whatever you want about using it. But personally I looked at it as a new way to harvest a deer. I'm currently 31 can absolutely draw a bow back and have taken many deer with a bow. A crossbow won't stop me from taking my compound out hunting again. You can't argue that the crossbow is more modern or etc. Look at the compounds with the cams and leftoffs etc. If that's your argument compounds are just as modern. Guess we'd need to go back to throwing rocks to make a harvest 

10 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I'm from PA and although I dont hunt deer anymore and never archery hunted : I believe it's all inclusive here in PA for the past few years. FYI - the younger hunters seem to be using crossbows more so than the old dudes like me.

Off topic a bit ...One thing I do notice here in chatting with deer hunters in PA is that if they have multiple deer tags they think they need to shoot that many deer. It's kinda sad the way some think that they need to brag about all the deer they shoot or really need the meat. In my opinion the deer population is more on private land nowadays than state land and young hunters whom never shot a deer will have less chance with others shooting multiply deer a year. To each his own I guess .  One more observation I have about New York hunting from my small game treks this year to tug hill & Adirondacks; The  yellow DEC signs posted on state land is great ; and the exceptional info on the DEC website if looking for a general area to hunt certain game. Pennsylvania is way behind in both areas ; I won't even bring up the no sunday hunting here for small or big game.  Every state has issues regarding seasons ,laws ,regs. etc.

I wish PA and New york would require a survey before you purchase a license.  After all we want our input heard. 

39 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

I have a friend that took a bullet through right side of his chest during his service as a Marine in Iraq. He can't hunt with a compound, recurve or any sort of conventional bow. He would if he could but he can't draw it back. So, he hunts with a crossbow.

He's not old. He's only 31. If you would like to call him a wuss, I would love to be there to watch. LOL

No disrespect intended.

I ABSOLUTELY support  those that are older or like your friend who is unable to pull a bow back,  using crossbows.

• Thanks 1

My shoulder is toast.. I had trouble turning the car radio on with my right hand yesterday due to the motion sending stabbing pain down my shoulder blade. Instead, I have to lean my entire body forward, so my hand can reach the knob. Extending the arm is not really an option. Drawing a bow is not possible. I'm not anywhere near "old". Come on survey. Ill give them my $.02 plus a few dollars. I hope my unusable lifetime bow tag will actually work for xbow.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steve D said:

DEC Querying Hunters about Crossbow Use

Hunters in New York have been allowed to use crossbows to hunt big game since 2011.

Crossbow

As I recall, It was April of 2014 when crossbows were legalized in NY state.   Where and what hunters could use them in 2011 ?   

As far as "full-inclusion" goes, there was a time when  I was strongly for it, but now not so much.   I am very thankful that they are legal for the two weeks that always includes the peak of the rut in the southern zone, and for three days a month earlier up in the northern zone (ML is open for the last 7 days of early crossbow up there, so I only count 3 days as the true early crossbow season).   

Rather than "full-inclusion",  I would prefer to see a two week "traditional" archery season, starting October 1, which would be limited to recurves and long-bows.  The rest of the season should be open to crossbows and compounds, and the archery course should be required for crossbows.  I also think that the current limits on crossbow poundage and width should be retained.  Those limits help keep crossbows and compounds at the same level of magnitude of performance.    

NYB must be a little stronger up in the northern zone than they are in the southern zone.  They have been able to limit the early crossbow season to just 10 days up there, compared to 14 days in the southern zone.   That don't seem fair too me.  Why should northern zone crossbow hunters be discriminated against like that ?  Adding another weekend to crossbow season up there would help bring more sorely needed "tourist" dollars into that economically depressed region.