DEC Looking For Input

Steve D

17 hours ago, smokecreeks guy said:

at 59 years old am still pulling my bow back but if they if they  go full season I mite think about getting a crossbow but right now ill stick with what I have its works :elf:

59 too, I would give my right arm to be able to draw my bow again .

I have a different view on the whole thing than most people. I ask the question of why? Why do we bow hunt? Why do we archery hunt at all? Why archery hunt when there are much more efficient implements available for our use?

I think the answer for a lot of people is to extend their season and/or hunt when deer are under less pressure. Some people are die hard bow hunters. That’s the only way they hunt or the way they prefer to hunt. Bow hunting takes a lot of skill. Not only with woodsmanship, but ability to draw, aim and consistently hit what you intend to hit. Even with modern compound bows there is a greater degree of skill that goes into bow hunting than rifle hunting minus long range rifle hunting. I am not currently a bow hunter. 

A good number of people have/will add a crossbow just to extend their season. While by no means do I think a crossbow is easy to use requiring minimal skill, it is easier to use than a vertical bow. I think full inclusion of crossbows without caveats will just lead to archery season being very similar to firearm season when it comes to hunter density and pressure. Just my $.02.

Edited by pitweiler
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pitweiler said:

Add in that a bow hunter education course isn’t required for crossbow.

That may be the big change from what I hear this year. It should of been required as death from blood loss is different from shock trauma from a bullet. Aiming points are different as well.

I took a buck this year that was shot in neck by what I believe is a crossbow bolt.. a fairly common shot for a gun . Not a good shot with an arrow.

If changed it will be the 1st step in getting crossbow in all of archery. Although I am just glad if it does teach those who have picked it up bloodtrailing and shot placement and well as deer reactions when hit. That is what bothers me about crossbow requiring a muzzleloader tag.. people think it's a gun but although fired similarly it still kills by hemorrhaging and aiming points and proper shot ranges are dictated same as in archery. 

3 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Happy to see the DEC is looking for input, unlike how the Safe Act was created.

They can ask for all the input they want but cant  make it legal all season though they can mandate that a bow course can be required. The rest is up to legislation same as even having a hunting season at all next year..

On 12/25/2018 at 10:17 AM, Stay at home Nomad said:

59 too, I would give my right arm to be able to draw my bow again .

that's making it difficult. maybe change it to a leg or finger. just sayin. 

...i'd rather see you draw a crossbow with everything intact, using a fancy crank drawing aid. those things are pretty awesome. in action.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 6:29 PM, Dinsdale said:

Anyone want to bet an over/ under how many pages this thread will be?

When I first read your reply quickly, I thought you were suggesting that a manufacturer produce an over / under crossbow.  Now that would be awesome to use. Maybe I should patent a design. I'm sure that would make the traditionalists go crazy too.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 5:52 PM, ODYSSEUS said:

20181224_175012.jpg

arrow isn't the best match for that bow. definitely not helping your shooting by any means.  get arrows with fletching not vanes and better matched to that bow at your draw length and you'll probably have a much better experience.

On 12/23/2018 at 6:21 PM, Steve D said:

DEC Querying Hunters about Crossbow Use

Hunters in New York have been allowed to use crossbows to hunt big game since 2011. Currently, crossbows may be used by any person age 14 or older to hunt deer, bear, and most small game species. To better understand the level of crossbows use, and how that may change if laws associated with crossbow use are modified, we’re asking hunters to respond to a brief survey. A random selection of licensed hunters will be sent the questionnaire via e-mail in the coming weeks and are encouraged to respond.

Crossbow

I just completed this survey.  I went all-in in favor of the crossbow and full-inclusion even though I am ok with most of the rules as they are now.   The crossbow hunters in the northern zone are currently getting screwed pretty bad, with just three days before the guns come in.   Us folks down in the southern zone already got it pretty good with 14 days including all of the rut.   If full-inclusion does go thru, I wont be hunting turkeys in the fall anymore with my shotgun.  It will be a little tougher to take them with my crossbow (as targets of opportunity while deer hunting).  Oh well, at least I got to easily enjoy the drumsticks of a young fall hen one time.  

Has anyone else on this site received the DEC survey yet ?

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 2:42 PM, pitweiler said:

I think it should just be incorporated into basic hunters education. 

No , learning how a deer dies from a cut vs trama from a bullet is a whole course in itself as well as learning where to aim and blood trail .and range limitations. It belongs in a bow course. The whole muzzleloader requirement sign this piece of paper and your good is ridiculous...