Moon Guide

Iluvracks1359

was watching a hunting show the other day, and the guy on it was using this little slide calendar thing called the moon guide. During that show there were also several commercials for the product. The idea is basically this little guide tells u the best days to hunt based on the moon phases. Has anyone used this product, or anything like it, and had success?  I think its like 30 bucks to buy it for each year. . .I was thinking of giving it a shot next year, as the buck I was after this year seemed to skirt me all year, and I never saw him during daylight.

thoughts?

Edited by Iluvracks1359

Honestly, I think if you pay more attention to feeding and bedding patterns early in the season. Then pay very close attention to where the doe are during the rut. Along with putting in as much time on stand as possible. It will make a bigger impact on killing a particular buck than what moon phase it happens to be.  JMO......

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

was watching a hunting show the other day, and the guy on it was using this little slide calendar thing called the moon guide. During that show there were also several commercials for the product. The idea is basically this little guide tells u the best days to hunt based on the moon phases. Has anyone used this product, or anything like it, and had success?  I think its like 30 bucks to buy it for each year. . .I was thinking of giving it a shot next year, as the buck I was after this year seemed to skirt me all year, and I never saw him during daylight.

thoughts?

Rutting activity is influenced by the moon. Generally speaking bucks will travel most when the moon is either directly overhead or directly underfoot.All if this is also influenced by weather and other factors. I have found that the moon position can predict when mid day buck movement is most likely.

Aside from just at sunset, the most productive times for me have been between 10:00 AM and noon, and again from 1:30PM  to 3:30 PM. I am hunting un-pressured deer over the course of out long NZ season.

I tried one season to follow the moon activity guides on huntstand and correlate to movement acitivity. I didn't see any correlation between them. What I have noticed over the years is bright moon at night (full or nearly and no cloud cover) during the rut is usually bad sign around me. I assume this means that there is a lot of night time activity and limited day time movement. I always seem to see more day time activity during new moon or with intense overnight cloud cover.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, tarheel95 said:

I tried one season to follow the moon activity guides on huntstand and correlate to movement acitivity. I didn't see any correlation between them. What I have noticed over the years is bright moon at night (full or nearly and no cloud cover) during the rut is usually bad sign around me. I assume this means that there is a lot of night time activity and limited day time movement. I always seem to see more day time activity during new moon or with intense overnight cloud cover.

I would agree. I have noticed this for many years now

11 minutes ago, tarheel95 said:

Agree .. 

13 minutes ago, tarheel95 said:

+ 1

Interesting, i definitely had more luck as far as seeing deer goes in early season. But i just never got a shot, but i saw nothing at all during the rut during the day time at my stands. I had deer on camera just sbout every night. Sometimes only 20 mins after dark. . . I might neee to find where they are coming from 20 mins earlier, and move my stand there

Moon might play some part but rut is always gonna be about the same time of year regardless.  Weather over moon every time. Pick the right stand for the right wind and hunt the weather fronts esp.  But during the chasing time hunt as much as possible no matter the moon.  

Yeah the moon is romantic but a guy is gonna try to score whenever she is ready!   Lol. 

There are internet sites with the same info, (search solunar tables) and they're free. They can be helpful as far as motivation, getting you excited to get out of bed in the cold and all, but I haven't found them to be particularly accurate with regard to deer behavior. You get yourself all cleaned up in a perfect stand location, and some jackass a mile and a half away sitting in the woods drinking a beer, smoking a cigarette, burping, and farting can change what the deer do near you. It is what it is.