Full crossbow inclusion

Cory

For or against full crossbow inclusion?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. For inclusion

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/25/19 at 05:00 AM

29 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

If they wanted a traditional season only they should have done that when they extended season and made it Oct 1-15.  

But I hope none of it changes , but will hunt with whatever they allow.  But def not interested in a traditional bow season only.  I like the seasons exactly the way they are.

I am surprised a primitive season hasn't been introduced which would include bow, Xbow or muzzleloader.  But there is a lot of people fighting to protect that bow season.  

A traditional (vertical recurve & longbow) deer season October 1 - 15 would be fine with me.    One particularly bad thing, about the way the rules are now, is that northern zone deer hunters only get (3) days to use their crossbows, prior to the guns coming in.   Extending that to 7 days would be a lot better, then the total of crossbow and ML + crossbow days up there would equal the crossbow head-start in the southern zone.    

Given the overwhelming and widening margin of support for full inclusion, as evidenced by this poll, it will probably happen within the next few years.  A slight compromise - such as evening the number of days up, between the northern and southern zones, and/or introducing that "traditional" season, while lumping the crossbow into the same category as the compound, might delay it by a few more years.                

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Closing off the rut to anything but traditional bow would def not appease most hunters. Don't see that ever happening, regs won't go back but would go forward at this point. And there isn't enough trad guys to support it.  If they wanted a traditional season only they should have done that when they extended season and made it Oct 1-15.  

I hope none of it changes , but will hunt with whatever they allow.  But def not interested in a traditional bow season only.  I like the seasons exactly the way they are.

I am surprised a primitive season hasn't been introduced which would include bow, Xbow or muzzleloader.  But there is a lot of people fighting to protect that bow season.  

Primitive muzzleloader would be a flint or matchlock..  what it really comes down to is more deer need to be taken and adding crossbow to archery would do that.  My pick at traditional archery was not possible and I know it but if preserving  archery is the real reason nyb doesnt want crossbow in than take prime hunting and make it traditional archery only as an appeasement. You will still kill more deer in regular archery season with the addition of crossbow. But buck take would be reduced as well as pressure for 2 weeks before gun season .. 

10 hours ago, G-Man said:

Primitive muzzleloader would be a flint or matchlock..  what it really comes down to is more deer need to be taken and adding crossbow to archery would do that.  My pick at traditional archery was not possible and I know it but if preserving  archery is the real reason nyb doesnt want crossbow in than take prime hunting and make it traditional archery only as an appeasement. You will still kill more deer in regular archery season with the addition of crossbow. But buck take would be reduced as well as pressure for 2 weeks before gun season .. 

yes primitive muzzleloader is flintlock but they wont go back to that, it would be muzzleloader, to also increase the deer take. There is no "have to be" designation that a muzzleloader couldnt be listed as a primitive weapon.  And if they want more deer taken def agree adding xbow will do that as well as muzzleloader.  And the members of NYB are also not going to be appeased with traditional archery only for the rut.  Most of them arent traditional guys either. They are gonna be madder than Biz if you try to take away their $1000 Matthews toys and tell them they have to use a stick and string during the best two weeks of the year.  I generally dont care too much for which season is which as i hunt them all, but i would even fight that.  Its a deal breaker.  I dont see them increasing muzzleloader either but there isnt enough interest in traditional to change anything to traditional only. They missed the window on that with the Oct 1-15 extension.  And now once thats open to bow hunters arent going to give it up without a fight and are sure not giving up the rut. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Ya ,there's an idea ,flintlock.  We have a discussion going about an implement that people are vastly in favor of because it allows them to not do their part in the off season and practice ,so lets introduce a special season for a weapon that can't hit water if you threw it out of a boat.

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Ya ,there's an idea ,flintlock.  We have a discussion going about an implement that people are vastly in favor of because it allows them to not do their part in the off season and practice ,so lets introduce a special season for a weapon that can't hit water if you threw it out of a boat.

I beg to differ 100 yards from a flintlock is a common thing same as any muzzleloader just a more finicky ignition system. They are not the smooth bore brown best your thinking of. Pennsylvania only allows flintlock and it's an effective and beloved season there. 

14 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Given the overwhelming and widening margin of support for full inclusion, as evidenced by this poll, 

i should save some of my replies so I don't have to keep typing them out, but then I realize it doesn't matter and your understanding of how polls work wouldn't change. There are 57 votes on this thread as of the time of this post. In NY there are nearly 600k tags bought every year. Your sample size is 4 orders of magnitude off, not to mention a subset of hunters who use the internet and are more likely to try new things and interested in new tech.

While I don't disagree that you can gather some insight from a poll like this and would even agree that crossbow support outweighs those against it. Would you please, for the love of baby jesus and the holy spirit at least stop pointing to these as evidence. PLEASE!?