Full crossbow inclusion

Cory

For or against full crossbow inclusion?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. For inclusion

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/25/19 at 05:00 AM

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

As of now there are no Bill's in the works for any crossbow modification or extension or full inclusion.. nor is it in the budget.. if you support it then you need to tell your representatives!!

so they can ignore us like usual.  No way this is passing anytime soon - plate is full of new legislation now that Dems have all offices.  Too busy passing 2nd and 3rd trimester abortion bills, free college for illegal immigrants and legalizing marijuana etc etc etc - not a person there cares about this legislation.  Esp with the safe act 2 also about to roll out.  Only way this is passing is if they outlaw guns for hunting and give us the use of crossbows.  Not happening this year.  

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

so they can ignore us like usual.  No way this is passing anytime soon - plate is full of new legislation now that Dems have all offices.  Too busy passing 2nd and 3rd trimester abortion bills, free college for illegal immigrants and legalizing marijuana etc etc etc - not a person there cares about this legislation.  Esp with the safe act 2 also about to roll out.  Only way this is passing is if they outlaw guns for hunting and give us the use of crossbows.  Not happening this year.  

Sad, but very true.  Cuomo would love to grant full inclusion of crossbows if it meant elimination of gun season. 

I can hear it now... "No one needs a gun to kill a deer"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The only way a crossbow bill will even be introduced is if it is hooked to other legislation.  With the Dems holding all the juggling balls they don't need to have trade off legis to get what they want passed to have enough votes.  So they don't have to give reps anything to get what they want.  No quid pro quo is happening to get it thru.  

Only way I would think it had a chance is if they were throwing a bone but don't see that happening with all the legis that's gonna be passed. And let's face it half the Republicans won't even stand up against it all because they know they have no teeth.  Gonna be a tough haul for a bit for upstate. 

We have the Governor and the Senate, just need the assembly . I know my state senator is on board , and I thanked her at a town hall meeting .

If every hunter who wanted it joined New York Crossbow Coalition, we’d have it in no time flat , I joined and I worked an event with them . It’s a numbers game, right now there are two opposing groups with roughly even numbers . They listen to numbers ( votes ) but sadly most wont come up with the  $20 to join I gave  them $100, but should have just paid for 4 others memberships .

7 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

..... It’s a numbers game, right now there are two opposing groups with roughly even numbers .....

Hoping this is correct, but last I heard the NYBHs had a membership advantage over NYCC by about 2:1. In a #s perspective, about 2K to 1K members for each pro & con organization. JMO, that doesn't appear to be an overwhelming voice against Xbow's full implementation into the bow season. The opposition is definitely the more vocal &/or effective lobbying factor making them the proverbial "squeaky wheel".

In the past 5yrs around this time frame is when the Xbow bills are introduced (reintroduced?) to the legislatures. Going to be interesting to see what the 2019 strategy will be!?! So far almost the same bill has been introduced 5X with the same dismal results. With the exception of one year when it made it thru most all the hurdles, but never got scheduled for a formal vote. Trying not to be overly critical, but the definition of insanity comes to mind. BTW - Yes Xbow bills have been tacked onto the NYS budget, but always get stripped off when it's time to approve the budget. These stripped-off bills are them sent to both the assembly & senate's dreaded sub-committees for further consideration, the Enviro sub-committee. This is when things get muddy/unclear...! Don't know how these sub-committees work or how often they convene, but it baffles me how some of the sub-committee members that have either sponsored, co-sponsored or claim to be in favor of the Xbow legislation can't get these bills out of the sub-committee????

Wait 'n' see, again!

• 2 months later...

Looks like no full inclusion again this year.

That's ok, nothing else in the NYS Budget makes any sense either. I can still draw my bow (just barely) this year. So I should be good for another season. But I can understand hunters dropping out, or worse yet, breaking the law (using crossbow out of season) Because no one in Albany has the common sense to pass full inclusion. At least for older or impaired hunters.

We all age.... 20 years ago I thought I'd still be pulling 70lbs at my current age. I'm struggling to pull 50lbs now. Looks like I'll have a hard decision to make, in the not so distant future.

I know this topic has been argued to death! And I do look at, and understand the arguments for both sides, being a bowhunter for 40+ years. But hunter numbers are dropping, big time. Crossbows could keep some of them in the woods, where they'd rather be.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, grampy said:

That's ok, nothing else in the NYS Budget makes any sense either. I can still draw my bow (just barely) this year. So I should be good for another season. But I can understand hunters dropping out, or worse yet, breaking the law (using crossbow out of season) Because no one in Albany has the common sense to pass full inclusion. At least for older or impaired hunters.

We all age.... 20 years ago I thought I'd still be pulling 70lbs at my current age. I'm struggling to pull 50lbs now. Looks like I'll have a hard decision to make, in the not so distant future.

I know this topic has been argued to death! And I do look at, and understand the arguments for both sides, being a bowhunter for 40+ years. But hunter numbers are dropping, big time. Crossbows could keep some of them in the woods, where they'd rather be.

we can swap for 30-40lbs and set it 35 - you will be shooting that bow until you are 90plus!  If there is a full inclusion bill, I hope they attach the atlatl rider. 

• Like 1

I will be 78 this coming Deer Season . Since my hospital stay last August / September I have had a difficult time drawing my 60# pull bow but I am working on it . I still do NOT support full inclusion of the crossbow and I own one .

3 hours ago, grampy said:

I think you are right that NY politics may have reached the tipping point of being so dis-functional that we might never see full-inclusion.   Out best hope may be the split up of the state into three separate entities: Upstate, NY city, and Long Island (apparently most of the folks down there would also prefer to be "unleashed" from "the" city.   

My best suggestion would be to embrace and enjoy what we have now.   The crossbow currently has the best two weeks of southern-zone archery season.   There are other fun things to do earlier, like turkey and small game hunting, fall fishing, etc..   It does suck that the crossbow only gets 3 days before the guns come in up in the Northern zone. I think I now understand why that is.  Apparently, the NYB had a lot more say over things up there thanks to the political influence of some NYC firefighter who was/is that lobbing group's president.   Hopefully, he is proud of himself for keeping all the tourist dollars out of that hard-pressed area, which another weekend of crossbow hunting might have added.     

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grampy said:

That's ok, nothing else in the NYS Budget makes any sense either.

In the past ~4/5yrs all Xbow bills had been stripped out of the budget.They then stood as lone bills and died a slow death every year. Been eerily quite on the NYCC front this year!! Last I heard was that NYCC had to rewrite a new Xbow bill, IRC around the January time frame.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

we can swap for 30-40lbs and set it 35 - you will be shooting that bow until you are 90plus!  If there is a full inclusion bill, I hope they attach the atlatl rider. 

Great idea Brian! 

That's now my plan!  

The 30-40 lb limbs for the Obsession, not the atlatl......

13 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Apparently, the NYB had a lot more say over things up there thanks to the political influence of some NYC firefighter who was/is that lobbing group's president.   Hopefully, he is proud of himself for keeping all the tourist dollars out of that hard-pressed area, which another weekend of crossbow hunting might have added.     

My understanding is he’s a house Capt. In Yonkers,not nyc. 

That would  give him the political influence equal to that of your mailman .

I did hear he pressures other guys on the job to join, but I’m somewhat skeptical,as most guys would simply tell him to F off. 

• Like 1