Hunting racoon ?

Hunter007

I did a lot of Coon hunting in my day, the methods used most are calling and with dogs. Not too many things more fun than hitting the timber at night with a good Coon dog. It is all about the skill and work of the dog unraveling the track, no matter what tricks the Coon pulls trying to fool the dog and making that Coon tree. Along with my Airedales I bred and trained English Coonhounds for Coon hunting and also did some competition hunting, some of the best times hunting I have ever had.

As for eating, like anything else it is how they are prepared and cooked, it can be very good.

Al

27953436TcHZlJGJWg_ph.jpg

126118683uvBihX_ph.jpg

126121827nhVLmw_ph.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

I've eaten coon meat a couple times, when I lived in SC. Not too bad. It was part of a wildgame dinner at the hunt club.

Hunting coon without dogs is doable, but not as fun. We would carry good flashlights into the hardwoods, shine up in the trees until you see their eyes glowing. We did a lot of walking, but usually got a couple.

Hunting with a good coon dog is a blast!

• Like 1

I almost lived for running coon with my hounds. Until the snow was too deep, or the temp got down too low, I ran my hounds 5-6 nights a week. I made a lot of money off of hides in the heyday, and also had a ton of fun running the competition hunts in UKC and PKC with quite a bit of success at times.

The big professional deer hunting trend put an end to all of it. All of a sudden, we were no longer wanted on a lot of properties because we would all of a sudden ruin the deer hunting. Even had a couple people think it was a good idea to touch off a couple rounds towards me and my dogs. They found out it was a very bad idea, but I got out before  something bad happened that I couldn't get out of. Miss it all the time.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a god damn raccoon.  I hate the damn things.  When we bought our house in Westchester, there were tons of them on the property.  One night we counted 32 sitting up on the rocks on the hill behind the house (like 100 feet away from my back door).  About six families.  Smelly, disgusting, flea-ridden rodents, who poop everywhere and raid your garbage.  Took me several years to eradicate the little bastards.  And of course, since it's Westchester, that did not involve the use of (normal) firearms.  But I will not be deterred!  Neighbors even called DEC on me once, claiming I was cruelly killing the varmints.  (The DEC guy rolled his eyes and told them I was doing nothing illegal.)  

Eat them?  I think I'd rather starve.  And I'm no prude, I'll eat squirrel any day.

We did have to take turkey hunting into consideration for the pkc hunts in the spring, by not hunting off the final four because it would run into the time that the turkey hunters were coming in to set up. At the same time, the local turkey hunters would tell the clubs where they were seeing coon returning to den up for the day. But, that was back when sportsmen worked together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Is there are breed called Blue Tips or something close that only hunt racoons??

Blueticks, Bill....And they are trailing/ treeing hounds and will run virtually anything including deer, but are most popular as coon, fox, coyote or bear hounds...

13 hours ago, Storm914 said:

What's the best way to hunt racoon And have you ever eating one ?

The best way to "hunt them" is with a good dog After skinning literally hundreds of them I honestly would not eat one. At one time I did have a market for the carcasses for $5.00 a piece which helped pay for gas. If you know what you are doing and when to hunt they can be called in the day time.

In order to get them at night you need a good dog similar to one like this that was a triple champion. Unfortunately he is no longer with us:

• Like 1