Ruger American /Savage Axis/Savage Axis 2 ?

Looking to buy one in a 7mm-08 off season for next deer season       Daughter and I will share for the most part   I believe the Axis 2 has a different trigger than the Axis.  XP comes with a scope but just bought a Leupold V3 25x8 x36mm    We won't have any shots over 250 yards so the 308 and such not necessary    Watched my buddy drop 3 doe in about 8 minutes from 125-175 yards with Encore 7mm-08 but that gun is too much coin .

In past threads I know some of you like the Savage and swaying that way right now.  Is the Ruger really worth the extra $100 ?

I have the Savage Axis in 7mm-08 and love it. I swapped out the junk scope that came with it for a Leupold V2 3x9x40. Then ordered a new trigger spring from Amazon for $20 and brought the the trigger pull to about 3.5lbs. (I made a thread about doing this a few years ago) super easy. The rifle will shoot one and a half inch groups at 100 yards all day long, using Federal Premium 140 gr Nosler BT ammo. But just about anything I ran through it shot good. Recoil is very tame. Distance three deer traveled after the hit? Zero. All DRT. I have upgraded and given this rifle to my grandson. He shoots it very well. 

IMO, for the money, you can't beat an Axis.

• Like 2

I personally like the accutrigger, but I know not everyone does.  That alone would push me to the axis 2.  But are there any other differences.  I have savage 10 predator that came with the accustock.  Its definitely an upgrade from the standard stock.  No flex at all. 

Edited by moog5050

I bought the compact savage axis muddy girl camo 7m 08 a few years ago for the wife. Its not a bad rifle, but it does seem to be at the bottom end of the price scale.  We had some issues sighting it in and getting groupings.  I am going to upgrade her, maybe to a weatherby vanguard compact. That seems to feel more like a rifle to me than the axis.  There is a simple procedure to modify the axis trigger to be lighter if you go with it.

i have an american in .30-06. Fine shooting gun for the money. I have a vx-3 3.5-10 on it. Only complaint I have are the mags and I still haven't found an aftermarket one. I'm on my second from ruger and my hornady  rounds still sometimes fail to "spring up" in order for the bolt to grab them. Seems to only happen in the cold (which as an upstate ny deer hunter is a problem lol).

edit to say my dad has the same gun and hasn't had the problem, but he also shoots maybe one round a year.

Edited by Belo

I own a Ruger American in 7-08. When I was looking it was between the Ruger and the Savage Axis. I handled both in the store. I liked the trigger, safety and general feel of the Ruger in my hands better than the Axis so that's what I got. FWIW, the pic below is 3 shot group at 50 yards this past fall checking zero (sorry about the sideways pic). I don't think you can go wrong with either one for an affordable deer killer. I'd get to a store and handle both and then make your decision. 

20181104_093545.jpg

Edited by MPHunter
  • Like 1

Not sure which axis I have(actually my wife's) but it's chambered in .243 and shoots like a dream if you wanna throw a few rounds down range. I plan on using it this winter for yotes and fox.
I also had a timimey trigger installed and it breaks real smooth.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not sure which axis I have(actually my wife's) but it's chambered in .243 and shoots like a dream if you wanna throw a few rounds down range. I plan on using it this winter for yotes and fox.
I also had a timimey trigger installed and it breaks real smooth.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I’ve been trying to steer TF to a .243

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won’t the 7mm-08 give a little more reach out ? Again , no shots will ever exceed 225-250 max.  Probably 175 tops.  I’m new to rifles so excuse my ignorance 

The .243 is legit out to 400yds easy.

• Like 2

The .243 has no real advantage over the 7mm08 as a deer rifle, even at fairly long range....

In the hands of an excellent rifle shot ( aka Lawdwaz)  it is a very potent deer rifle, but NO WAY  does it equal the 7mm08 at any range, and it does  not recoil enough more than the .243  for that to be a factor...

If she wants to shoot a lot of woodchucks with it, the .243 might make sense...For a deer rifle , it is NO CONTEST for the 7mm08...

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The .243 has no real advantage over the 7mm08 as a deer rifle, even at fairly long range....

In the hands of an excellent rifle shot ( aka Lawdwaz)  it is a very potent deer rifle, but NO WAY  does it equal the 7mm08 at any range, and it does  not recoil enough more than the .243  for that to be a factor...

If she wants to shoot a lot of woodchucks with it, the .243 might make sense...For a deer rifle , it is NO CONTEST for the 7mm08...

I pass over all the previous posts and go right to Pygmy’s. 

Everybody should heed this man’s written word.  Truth.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Just out of curiosity why not look at a Remington 700 adl?

Pretty sure they are all long action??

(I should google it before I hit the go button but here goes anyway)

Yup, I was wrong. That’s twice this year. 

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I pass over all the previous posts and go right to Pygmy’s. 

Everybody should heed this man’s written word.  Truth.....

Thank you for your kind words, Larry...

I prefer to get to the meat of the subject rather than dancing around the edges....