Ruger American /Savage Axis/Savage Axis 2 ?

The .243 has no real advantage over the 7mm08 as a deer rifle, even at fairly long range....
In the hands of an excellent rifle shot ( aka Lawdwaz)  it is a very potent deer rifle, but NO WAY  does it equal the 7mm08 at any range, and it does  not recoil enough more than the .243  for that to be a factor...
If she wants to shoot a lot of woodchucks with it, the .243 might make sense...For a deer rifle , it is NO CONTEST for the 7mm08...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/73938/redirect

Fine, TF can get this then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Wife has savage axis I in 243. Scope was junk . Figure an upgrade in the cost.  Wife gets inch and half groups with federal blue box . Fed fusion she gets an inch. I can get it down to .75 at 100. Trigger is ok . Guessing trigger is somewhere close to 5 lbs. Lots of travel. I would look for axis 2. I like the accutrigger. I have it on my 204 ruger. Have no info on the ruger American. 

243 will kill deer. I have a few kills under my belt with that caliber. Stick to the  95  grain bullets for deer. I would recommend  for deer a premium bullet for penatration. I would personally  avoid balistic tips on deer size game.

7/08 In my opinion balisticly  is the better choice for deer.

As with all hunting calibers it's about shot placement.

• Like 2

The .243 has no real advantage over the 7mm08 as a deer rifle, even at fairly long range....
In the hands of an excellent rifle shot ( aka Lawdwaz)  it is a very potent deer rifle, but NO WAY  does it equal the 7mm08 at any range, and it does  not recoil enough more than the .243  for that to be a factor...
If she wants to shoot a lot of woodchucks with it, the .243 might make sense...For a deer rifle , it is NO CONTEST for the 7mm08...

Couldn’t agree more! Negligible recoils difference and a bunch more energy and as much as I hate to say it might have a bit more “forgiveness” on a less than perfect shot. I have no I’ll feelings towards a 243 but in all the rifles I own I don’t own a 243 because it does nothing all the others will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I agree. When I bought my .243 I was debating between that and a 7-08. I wasn’t reloading then so I went with the .243 because finding 7-08 ammo where I lived was really difficult. Now I find myself mulling over different ways to rebore/rechamber, rebarrel or just leave it alone. 

As for for the two rifles mentioned, Ruger  hands down. Both are more than accurate enough. In my opinion the Ruger has a better fit, finish and feel than the Axis. One thing that annoys me about the Axis, and to me just seems like a major cheap short cut, (don’t mean to offend anyone, just my opinion) is the use of a humongous Savage long action for all cartridges. I suppose if you handload the ability seat bullets out farther than normal could be an advantage, but at that point I’d just buy a long action .270 if you’re contemplating a 7-08 and you handload. The Ruger also seems to have better after market support. 

I have a Savage 111 in .30-06 and I swear that action is long enough to stuff a .50BMG in it (sarcasm). That being said it is a very accurate rifle. If you go the Savage route I would just jump up to a 110 series rifle instead. Just my $.02.

Edited by pitweiler

16 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I prefer the 7X57 myself.:taunt:

11 minutes ago, pitweiler said:

I have a Savage 111 in .30-06 and I swear that action is long enough to stuff a .50BMG in it (sarcasm). That being said it is a very accurate rifle. If you go the Savage route I would just jump up to a 110 series rifle instead. Just my $.02.

And the M700 "long action is 3.75" long. It is basically a magnum length with a standard length magazine.

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

Wife has savage axis I in 243. Scope was junk . Figure an upgrade in the cost.  Wife gets inch and half groups with federal blue box . Fed fusion she gets an inch. I can get it down to .75 at 100. Trigger is ok . Guessing trigger is somewhere close to 5 lbs. Lots of travel. I would look for axis 2. I like the accutrigger. I have it on my 204 ruger. Have no info on the ruger American. 

243 will kill deer. I have a few kills under my belt with that caliber. Stick to the  95  grain bullets for deer. I would recommend  for deer a premium bullet for penatration. I would personally  avoid balistic tips on deer size game.

7/08 In my opinion balisticly  is the better choice for deer.

As with all hunting calibers it's about shot placement.

As a side note savage axis combo scope was cheap junk that cross hairs  shifted inside.  When I changed it out I found the rings were stripped  on 2 screws . I put on new base and rings. Better safe than sorry. I always put on steel  rings.

• Like 1

I bought the compact savage axis muddy girl camo 7m 08 a few years ago for the wife. Its not a bad rifle, but it does seem to be at the bottom end of the price scale.  We had some issues sighting it in and getting groupings.  I am going to upgrade her, maybe to a weatherby vanguard compact. That seems to feel more like a rifle to me than the axis.  There is a simple procedure to modify the axis trigger to be lighter if you go with it.
Just an FYI. Savage does have a specific "break in" procedure. Not knocking you for not following it, just know that I researched a ton on savage before I bought. The guys/gals complaining of bad accuracy out of the box did not follow break in procedure where as there were no complaints from those that did. I will fault savage though as they don't really make it a point to mention there recommended procedure.

TF. You know my vote is savage, but I'm biased. Held them all and both my savages felt better than the competitors. As far as the round, I'm anti 243. 6.5 is top of the list, then 308, then 7-08.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

And the M700 "long action is 3.75" long. It is basically a magnum length with a standard length magazine.

I wish someone would make a true standard length action. I think the Winchester M70 can still be had in a standard / intermediate length. All the ones I’ve seen have been $$$ 

On 12/29/2018 at 12:49 PM, pitweiler said:

I wish someone would make a true standard length action. I think the Winchester M70 can still be had in a standard / intermediate length. All the ones I’ve seen have been $$$ 

M98 Mauser and the commercial clones.(M70 is a M98 knockoff)

.3.235" Intermediate length top.

3.450" Standard length bottom. (M98K standard length magazines start out at 3.325" but can easily be opened up to 3.4+" with home workshop tools.)

OqKbsir.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 7:38 PM, Pygmy said:

.243 is maxed out with a 95 gr bullet that has a BC of .379 in a Nosler Ballistic tip. (100 gr maximum readily available from other manufacturers)

7mm 08 is available with 140 gr bullet with a BC of .485 in a Nosler Ballistic Tip. (120 and 150 gr readily available from Nosler and other manufacturers)

There is no comparison in versatility for med/big game use.