Tahoe, Honda Pilot, or Toyota 4 runner???

halfnelson

I'm in the market for a used SUV with about 60K miles, that is super dependable and should get well over 200k miles on it.  I'm going to look at a Yukon today with 61k on it.

What vehicle would you choose?  I currently have a 2011 pathfinder with 115K on it. 

I don't need it for hauling anything---maybe a 26 pointer like the guys on youtube, if I get lucky one day.lol

The 4runner by far. Not even in the same league...they are well made and capable.

I have multiple friends from high school who STILL OWN their 4runners from the 90s, and have went on to buy new ones for them, wives, etc. The consistent performance commands a price tag however. A few model years have quirks but are readily found on the internet so you know what to look for when buying used.

• Like 1

I will chime in for the Tahoe/Yukon.  My wife's 2008 escalade never had a major issue and we traded it in at well over 150k.  We bought a new 2018 Tahoe.  Love it.   They really did a nice job upgrading the interior from a 2007 Tahoe I owned.   I suspect the Tahoe will have the most roomy interior.  That said, when I asked my buddy who is a mechanic, he said all the brands have good and bad - Toyota and Honda included.  To some extent its luck of the draw on the specific vehicle, so buy what you like, fits you best and is the best deal.

• Like 2

I have Honda red running in my veins, have had stellar performance and reliability with everything they manufacture. My son has a Pilot and he loves it, I purchased a Ridgeline pickup which is partly based on the pilot and I love it.

Started out with Honda back in 1969 with a CB 750 motorcycle, Have since had a 2003 Valkyrie, a CB 450 and a 450 Rebel along with a couple of their generators.

For me it is pretty tough to beat a Honda at anything.

2018-08-06_203907.thumb.png.8f48f0b2b25a65a385d13c3614cf32d1.png

1971HondaCB750K1Four~~element198.jpg

P1000177.JPG

19700919_Honda_CB450_Export_4_H-134.jpg

honda-cmx-450-rebel-2.jpg

2200-companion-1.jpg

• Like 2

The Chevy gmc platform.is so good and super refined for the model year you are going to be getting into. Parts are cheap for the chevy/gmc If anything should go wrong.  My BIL drove some kind Toyota truck ,you can't even check the trans fluid level on it via the dip stick. The Chevy engine either the post 87 small block or the LS is one of the best engine ever produced . None of that BS interference valve train or timing belts to brake or replace.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Piseco said:

You can’t go wrong with Toyota. Just drive them and put on new tires every couple of years. 

I'll second that. Was a staunch GM/Ford guy for years, just couldn't afford the repair bills any longer.

Just traded in my 2007 Tundra on a new one this past August. 138k miles, a few dents and just a little bit of rust and they still gave me $10,500 for it. Brakes, batteries, and tires is all I ever spent on it. No repairs of any kind in 12 years. Try doing that with a Ford/Dodge/GM.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

A Toyota will consistently make it to 200K.  I'm not so sure about the others.  I don't know anyone who got a "bad" 4runner, but I have seen plenty of GM products with issues.  

I was one of those GM owners with MANY mechanical issues starting at 30 K that the factory considered maintenance issues. NEVER AGAIN. 

I have been a Toyota guy since ‘02

Just now, Piseco said:

I was one of those GM owners with MANY mechanical issues starting at 30 K that the factory considered maintenance issues. NEVER AGAIN. 

I have been a Toyota guy since ‘02

I own both.  I like my Silverado, but the electrical/computer issues are driving me nuts.  My Tacoma is a gem in comparison

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps justifiably based on experience, but I suspect many that recommend against the American brands relate the issues of decades ago to todays vehicles.  I really don't think Toyota is any more reliable today than a chevy or ford.  10-20 years ago, yep I would say Toyota had a bettor record.  but my experience with late model American vehicles has been great.  That includes GM and Ford.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Perhaps justifiably based on experience, but I suspect many that recommend against the American brands relate the issues of decades ago to todays vehicles.  I really don't think Toyota is any more reliable today than a chevy or ford.  10-20 years ago, yep I would say Toyota had a bettor record.  but my experience with late model American vehicles has been great.  That includes GM and Ford.

I don’t doubt that but the way GM treated me then is the reason they lost my business and will never get it again. 

Just now, moog5050 said:

Toyota is damn sure more reliable.  I don't know how to measure reliability without looking backwards.  Anything new should be reliable.  I know a local business owner who got stranded 3X in the first month with his new Silverado.  We all do have our own preferences, but other than the bad frames (that Toyota stood behind) I don't know anyone who got a lemon from Toyota.  I cannot say that about Ford or Chevy.

• Like 2

I'm a Chevy go through and true, but if it's longevity you want you can't beat the Honda or Toyota's...our 2011 pilot has 85K on it nothing but breaks and oil change to date. I think I did tranny fluid at 50K but I'd have to confirm. We will be in the market in the spring,the Tahoe has been mentioned but it's behind the pilot,4runner and now the VW Atlas .again we look at longevity, if it was to be owned and sold before 100K then I'd go Tahoe.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stubborn1VT said:

Toyota is damn sure more reliable.  I don't know how to measure reliability without looking backwards.  Anything new should be reliable.  I know a local business owner who got stranded 3X in the first month with his new Silverado.  We all do have our own preferences, but other than the bad frames (that Toyota stood behind) I don't know anyone who got a lemon from Toyota.  I cannot say that about Ford or Chevy.

To each his own.  I had the escalade with 0 significant problems at 150k plus and my current ford has 82k with zero issues.  My buddy owns an independent garage and when I asked him, he said he had just as many Toyotas with major problems in the past 10 years as any other brand.  I tend to trust his judgment as he has no reason to lie to me and works on different vehicle makes daily. By the way, he just bought a new Tahoe for whatever that is worth.  And I am not a brand loyal guy.  I have owned GMC, chevy, BMW, ford, mazda, Toyota and others (no dodges though).  But you should buy what you trust. 

• Like 1

i'm impartial. i know of all three owned by people who are straight up running them into the ground and they just don't die. i had a Honda Ridgeline that to me was an awesome SUV/truck. everyone said i could run it up to way past 200k but i decided to sell it at around 130ish k miles.  nothing wrong with it though. anything i did to it was normal wear and tear.  i used it like a truck more than most guys use their actual truck.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

To each his own.  I had the escalade with 0 significant problems at 150k plus and my current ford has 82k with zero issues.  My buddy owns an independent garage and when I asked him, he said he had just as many Toyotas with major problems in the past 10 years as any other brand.  I tend to trust his judgment as he has no reason to lie to me and works on different vehicle makes daily. By the way, he just bought a new Tahoe for whatever that is worth.  And I am not a brand loyal guy.  I have owned GMC, chevy, BMW, ford, mazda, Toyota and others (no dodges though).  But you should buy what you trust. 

No offense, but I'm guessing that what you do with a truck/SUV and what I do with a truck/SUV are very different.  I grew up a Chevy guy, but I would never compare a GM product with a Toyota as far as longevity.  I know a handful of people with Toyotas that lasted over 200K.  My neighbor back home had two Tacomas that went 300K.  The only other brand that comes close is Subaru, but that's a different application.  Maybe your mechanic is right, but the two mechanics I deal with tell a different story.  Sorry to go on.  I hope everyone has good luck, no matter what they chose to drive.  I'm closing in on 200K with my Toyota and it's been oil and tires.  I do need new windshield wipers though.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

No offense, but I'm guessing that what you do with a truck/SUV and what I do with a truck/SUV are very different.  I grew up a Chevy guy, but I would never compare a GM product with a Toyota as far as longevity.  I know a handful of people with Toyotas that lasted over 200K.  My neighbor back home had two Tacomas that went 300K.  The only other brand that comes close is Subaru, but that's a different application.  Maybe your mechanic is right, but the two mechanics I deal with tell a different story.  Sorry to go on.  I hope everyone has good luck, no matter what they chose to drive.  I'm closing in on 200K with my Toyota and it's been oil and tires.  I do need new windshield wipers though.

Never thought of an SUV as a work truck but maybe we do.