Work Sharp Ken Onion.

I have used all  kinds of stones ,diamond  hones ,lanski/gatco, ceramics. My uncle has raved about his work sharp and how great it is . He use to have me sharpen all his knives .  His buck hunter knife  use to  come to me  looking like a serrated steak knife. I like to think I'm better than average at sharpening knives and tools. This year my wife gave me a work sharp ken onion addition  for Christmas.  I have watched the videos and infomercials. I was  Intrigued. 

Box comes with 5 belts , sharpener , and manual. 

Read the manual brushed up on a couple videos..

Now to find a test subject.... I'm not going to start out with my fine Case knives or even a buck or my wife's kitchen knives .. My gramps always taught  me to check out gut piles when ever you see one . Over the years I bet I have picked up a dozen or so knives on stateland . Had one down in the basement I found stabbed into the ground next to a large gut pile. Cheap carbon steele  fake stag handle.  Rusted and stained.  Perfect !.

Quick  clean up  remove grit  from storage  non chlorinated brake  clean to remove  oil .  Inspect blade  starting with a slight folded edge and rounded tip.  Not terrible. 

Starting with  coarse belt . 10 swipes  both sides ... cleaned up well . Still didn't knock the shoulders off the old profile. Perhaps I should have started extra course. 8 more swipes each side  now we are getting somewhere.  Moved onto  medium belt . 10 swipes each side . Getting there except I have a little burr. 5 swipes each side alternating sides. Nice.. shaving hair.  Switch  to fine belt . 10 swipes alternating . Wow... this thang is a razor. It's a hunting knife know need to go any further. 

I'm impressed. 20 minutes and a razor. Would have taken longer with stones. I will work on tip profile at some point. 

I expect with a higher quality steele it would have taken more  work . But then again it might not of had been damaged as bad or left stabbed into the ground. This is the after pic.20181226_121334.thumb.jpg.8a281a61fbf44fea10675deb48c6ac32.jpg

20181226_121320.jpg

• Like 3

i have one. it works good. only problem is some hilt profiles don't let you start your edge right.  also it's a convex edge profile. can't touch it up with anything else really. if you move to a stone or flat surface sharpening system you'll just be taking more material off to change the profile rather than work the actual edge. makes a nice sharp edge that can take wear and tear from those who abuse their kitchen knives.

• Like 1

Couldn't just leave the knife alone. Took it out to garage and hit it with some buffing compound.  Buffing wheel cleaned it up a little better. Had to resharpen when I was done . 

Turns out it's an  older edge mark  knife.  German steele. As I recall local stores sold them for 25 bucks or so. Nothing  valuable.  Some  older models actually had stag handles. I don't know how to tell. Guess I will look for a sheath for it .. might make it a tool box knife keep in the tractor.

2 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Couldn't just leave the knife alone. Took it out to garage and hit it with some buffing compound.  Buffing wheel cleaned it up a little better. Had to resharpen when I was done . 

Turns out it's an  older edge mark  knife.  German steele. As I recall local stores sold them for 25 bucks or so. Nothing  valuable.  Some  older models actually had stag handles. I don't know how to tell. Guess I will look for a sheath for it .. might make it a tool box knife keep in the tractor.

Don't underestimate those German carbon steel knives.  I have a couple Solengen made hunting knives and they will hold an edge better than a knife costing much more.  Plus, carbon steel will hold an edge better than just about any stainless blade.