DEC says Increased number of deer taken and reported in 2018

Bigfoot 327

Better reporting compliance? Probably not. Increased success rate? Entirely possible as I think most of the Southern Zone had snow cover for the gun opener.

Yeah had to be one I guess. They had a report out in November of all license sales being down except the Senior tags so something is out of wack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Buck n doe stopped taking deer early but they started again , springville same , West Seneca place stopped for week and half after gun opener. West Seneca place said most ever taken during bow 

Talked to the owner Jay when I picked mine up. I was complaining about this years Bow season and he said they were on par from last year and up during shotgun season. 

50 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Buck n doe stopped taking deer early but they started again , springville same , West Seneca place stopped for week and half after gun opener. West Seneca place said most ever taken during bow 

Great uncle does it in caledonia.said they couldn't keep up this year.had to have guys stop bringing them and start calling ahead so they could give em a couple days in advance to plan it

28 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

No surprise here.  It is a lot easier to kill deer with snow cover than it is in the rain.  Brown on white is easy to see and easy to track.   This aint rocket science.   

Too much snow is a hindrance and there was too much in some locales. Others places (just miles away of course) it was perfecto. 

D308D7B0-FAFB-419B-AA1C-8038A806FC53.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wolc123 said:

No surprise here.  It is a lot easier to kill deer with snow cover than it is in the rain.  Brown on white is easy to see and easy to track.   This aint rocket science.   

Here, deer become more nocturnal with snow cover. Have to see the deer first during legal hours, before you can shoot them.

11 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Yeah had to be one I guess. They had a report out in November of all license sales being down except the Senior tags so something is out of wack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can add; many areas still had  DMP's left over when I picked up my muzzle loader license, Friday before opener.

Is there any agency that keeps track of highway deer kills? I understand that there is a correlation of some sort between the highway kills and the deer population. But I have yet to find anyone that is keeping track of deer kills on the highway.

I have seen a level of carnage on the highways in our area like no other year in my memory. I am talking about a super-significant difference in road kill over the past year. Taken along with the level of deer sign and sightings, I would have to conclude that the population is very, very high. Couple all that with the fact that the constant snow throughout most of the season made the deer stand out like neon signs, and I find it very easy to believe that the deer take would be very high for the year.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Is there any agency that keeps track of highway deer kills? I understand that there is a correlation of some sort between the highway kills and the deer population. But I have yet to find anyone that is keeping track of deer kills on the highway.

I have seen a level of carnage on the highways in our area like no other year in my memory. I am talking about a super-significant difference in road kill over the past year. Taken along with the level of deer sign and sightings, I would have to conclude that the population is very, very high. Couple all that with the fact that the constant snow throughout most of the season made the deer stand out like neon signs, and I find it very easy to believe that the deer take would be very high for the year.

I can see what you are talking about but I read highway kill is more of a rut monitor. 

5 minutes ago, First-light said:

I can see what you are talking about but I read highway kill is more of a rut monitor. 

It seems to me that the whole year has been a slaughter on the roads. Even before the rut. In fact all through the summer. But that is just an observation, and nothing very scientific. However, there was something that I read years back where it was claimed that road kill was factored into deer population estimates by the DEC.

• Like 1

NYS Deer Population: Tons (Official, 2018)

Good amount of car/deer MVCs in late September through very early November. After the first week of November they started decrease. It made me think that perhaps the rut is longer or starts earlier than we think. Once mid October hit it was a lot of bucks chasing does. 

Edited by pitweiler