Raccoons are mean & nasty

I live trapped a nuisance Raccoon.     This thing was as nasty as a pit bull.     Growling & Barking at me.   Showing it's teeth.   Snapping... aggressive.     I can see why it was a little pissed off, :)  but I wouldn't mess with a Raccoon.    This thing would have shredded me to pieces if I was within reach.

They aren't so cute & cuddly as the facebook posts suggest.  :)

I use to hunt coon with dogs and they aren't only mean but they are as tough as nails also. I've seen many that have had a few 22 rounds out in them fall 20 ft from a tree and still give an old red bone a hell of a fight. Definitely not an animal I want to have pissed of at me.

• Like 7

I hate raccoons.  Our property in lower Westchester had about 6 families of them living on it when we bought the place.  We counted 32 one night about dusk, all on the hill behind my house.  As of now,  there is still one family hanging on - for the time being.  And yeah, I can certainly attest to the fact that the bastards are mean as hell.  I trapped about a dozen of them, and relocated them far away.  Even putting them in the back of a truck was a challenge, and they are filthy, smelly, nasty animals.  After that, I took to using different methods.  I'll take the Fifth on that...

14 minutes ago, jmark said:

I trapped about a dozen of them, and relocated them far away.  Even putting them in the back of a truck was a challenge, and they are filthy, smelly, nasty animals.  After that, I took to using different methods.  I'll take the Fifth on that...

Relocating them is illegal.    You must euthanize them as per DEC.

I have heard stories, if you relocate them,   you need to go at least 20 miles, or they come back.   But then you create a problem for someone else.

3 minutes ago, the blur said:

Relocating them is illegal.    You must euthanize them as per DEC.

I have heard stories, if you relocate them,   you need to go at least 20 miles, or they come back.   But then you create a problem for someone else.

Really?  Can you point me to that law?  Serious question.  My local LE specifically told me to relocate them.  

9 minutes ago, jmark said:

Really?  Can you point me to that law?  Serious question.  My local LE specifically told me to relocate them.  

Yeah it is illegal for the average joe. They do this to avoid disease vectoring. Kill them if they need to be caught.

3 hours ago, the blur said:

I live trapped a nuisance Raccoon.     This thing was as nasty as a pit bull.     Growling & Barking at me.   Showing it's teeth.   Snapping... aggressive.     I can see why it was a little pissed off, :)  but I wouldn't mess with a Raccoon.    This thing would have shredded me to pieces if I was within reach.

They aren't so cute & cuddly as the facebook posts suggest.  :)

They are in season, why didnt you just kill it?

17 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Thanks, that's interesting, I never knew that.  So ok... in my town, discharging a firearm is a violation of local ordinances (even a pellet gun).  So I wonder how you are supposed to "take" a raccoon (or as my son called them when he was little, a ratcoon)?  I suppose I could shoot it with a bow.  But broadheads are expensive...

Edited by jmark

15 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

My uncle had a pet raccoon once.  Stayed in the house at least a little. Answered to the name "Racky".  I don't think it was mean and nasty or it wouldn't have lasted long.   Dirty smelly I can see.

They can be as tame as any house cat, but...they have the ability to be awfully nasty.  My dad brought a pair of kits home one time.  They were inside a hollow in a maple tree that he cut.  We bottle fed them and they were awfully cute.  Had them for a month or two until one of his friends mentioned it to somebody.  That somebody told a game warden and we had to release them. My mom has pictures of them perched on my shoulders.  Looking back, it probably wasn't a wise idea to keep them.