Need some help please

nodeerhere

Ok guys and gals. I was hit with some hard news on Saturday morning. And have been very low since. My best friend was sent to the hospital Friday night. Diagnosed with a tumor on his brain. It's cancerous. And it's pretty big. So he is out of work and if he makes it they this he will have a long road to recovery! He's in his early 40's and has kids. So I would like to do a benefit or something for him. But I've never done this type of thing before! Any help on how this all works would be greatly appreciated. 

• Sad 1

Wow, that is terrible news. So sorry to hear. 

We had a benefit for a friend this year. I didn't plan it but it seemed to work very well. It was at a local bar and friends made donations that were raffled off at the benefit. Our donations as a hunting group was obviously hunting themed. We all chipped in and purchased a treestand, trail camera, calls, knife etc and it got raffled as a hunting package. They had all kinds of other things there as well and you purchased raffle tickets and put them in a basket in front of the item that you were interested in trying to win. I was at another benefit for a baseball team at a local bar that did pretty much the same thing with the raffle. I don't know if that helps you but those are the only two benefits I have ever been too and they were both raffles. 

Sorry to hear the news, thats terrible.  Does he have any ties to a local fire dept, bar, legion, golf membership, fish and game club, etc?  get a location and then as others said make it themed like that.  People will almost always be willing to donate baskets for raffles etc. These are always popular, beer baskets, alcohol baskets, car themed, golf themed, fishing etc etc .  Get a couple of big rolls of tickets and stubs and sell them to put into boxes in front of each basket.  Sell an arms length for $10 and they can put the tickets into the box for the baskets they would like to win.  

If you get a location usually family and friends will help out with food for the event and usually someone knows a band or is in a band that will donate some time for an afternoon.  Then have basket drawings after a while and someone selling 50/50 tickets.  

Some smaller golf courses will host an event for it and have everyone donate to cover and the rest goes to his fund ( esp off season in the clubhouse),

or get a gun raffle going, even if someone puts up the money for the gun it is usually easily covered in the raffle as well if no one can donate one. 

Place of employment also might be willing to help out depending on where he works.  For a gun raffle print out some pics of the gun and a letter and go to local places with ticket stubs to sell. 

A lot of legwork but of course worth it.  Ive been to a lot of them and helped with a few.   Best of luck.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

is he a veteran or belongs to a union? Go fund me is good and a benefit with a Chinese auction ,raffles and have people donate the food ,even restaurants and and other business would donate  the prizes.I seen it here w/ the catholic church and especially kids going though cancer been to a lot of events .if hes a veteran the vfw or even the knights of Columbus would donated the hall 

In my opinion as much as I dislike it go fund me may be your best bet . Benefits are nice , but unless your inviting heavy hitters it’s often hard to come out to far ahead .

I say this as my FD and Union puts on all kinds ,lots of work to clear two three grand maybe , on the golf outings and such .

Our retirement party’s are at the union hall ($300) , still it’s $30 a man to,cover food and beer, we hit each person up for 50/50 ( most donate winnngs back ) and raffles , it’s $20 for 50/50 and $20 for raffle . My retirement party id guess 120 plus attended, and we pretty much broke even . We did rent tents ,tables and chairs for outside as it was summer, that added a bit to cost .

I know a guy who,puts on a benefit for a police dept . $500 a plate plus extras, but he can fill it with a couple hundred heavy hitters .

If you do a benefit,know it’s a lot of work,try to get as much donated as you can and you have to really hit folks up who attend ,they should drop at least a hundred to make it worth while .

Ive worked on police /fire  bowling tournament ( for School of The Holy Childhood ) ,fishing tournament for Make a Wish,, and a Golf one ,lots of work .

Good luck.