Couple Of New Blades

I have been collecting mostly pocket style knives for some time now and prefer American made stuff both vintage and new. Ebay has been the source for most of my finds and I am regularly poking around over there looking for something that catches my fancy. Most of the American manufacturers are just a memory, the Chinese have put most out of business flooding the market selling their cheap imitations on those TV informercial shows. One can buy a table full of those cheapos for what a high quality American made sells for. Once the US brand is out of business the good names are bought up and the Chinese make imitation knives such as Camillus, Schrade, Gerber Kershaw brands ETC using the brand recognition.

Unlike NY companies Camillus and Schrade which had to fold, "Utica Cutlery" is still scratching out a living with a modest line of American made knives. I found a guy from Yorkville NY on Ebay that sells USA made Utica knives with a custom blade inscription for not a lot of money. I bought one for the heck of it and was pleasantly surprised, it is a decent little Trapper model and the blade inscription was nice. It is the second Utica knife I have purchased and am pleased with both. I thought I would put in a plug for both outfits. These inscribed knives would make a heck of a gift to any blade collector I think. "creativelaserspecialties"

Al

2018-12-21_093149.png

2018-12-21_091938.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 13

I did not know Utica was still USA made.  I will look for them.  I am on the search for a “Walleye Special” knife made by Schroeder, which I think was. Wade in nearby New Hartford.

I live within 2 miles of the original Camillus factory (now an apartment building) and have given them as gifts several times.  There is a little store across the street from the old factory that sells vintage Camillus’s knives, I try to stop in 3 or 4 times a year.  He always has a great selection and will sharpen your knives for you too.  

My Dad sold Camillus knives in our farm supply and I have quite a few that were given to me for working for a weekend or afternoon.   He also had one in his pocket all the time, and I have several of those too.  I really need to make a nice display for them or something.  They are just sitting in a box in a closet now.  

• Like 2

Camillus pocket knives are my favorites Otto, I was sick about them folding and closing shop, all those models with the Sid Bell animal inlays on the handles were very undervalued in my opinion, they are starting to bring big money now as folks realize what a high quality knife they were and are.

Al

I have been collecting mostly pocket style knives for some time now and prefer American made stuff both vintage and new. Ebay has been the source for most of my finds and I am regularly poking around over there looking for something that catches my fancy. Most of the American manufacturers are just a memory, the Chinese have put most out of business flooding the market selling their cheap imitations on those TV informercial shows. One can buy a table full of those cheapos for what a high quality American made sells for. Once the US brand is out of business the good names are bought up and the Chinese make imitation knives such as Camillus, Schrade, Gerber Kershaw brands ETC using the brand recognition.
Unlike NY companies Camillus and Schrade which had to fold, "Utica Cutlery" is still scratching out a living with a modest line of American made knives. I found a guy from Yorkville NY on Ebay that sells USA made Utica knives with a custom blade inscription for not a lot of money. I bought one for the heck of it and was pleasantly surprised, it is a decent little Trapper model and the blade inscription was nice. It is the second Utica knife I have purchased and am pleased with both. I thought I would put in a plug for both outfits. These inscribed knives would make a heck of a gift to any blade collector I think. "creativelaserspecialties"
Al
2018-12-21_093149.thumb.png.5411f9665c2b992c558dfd3f35c19684.png
2018-12-21_091938.thumb.png.2ec170e1a86e0b02f71bed4431b388fc.png
Great post.....I plan on grabbing each of my boys one. I already have a case trapper knife set away for my older boy(he's only 4)and was slowly getting around to grabbing one for my youngest to have when he eventually starts hunting.
So now it looks like I will be starting a small collection of trapper knives for them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

The cheap plastic handles make me question these knives to be an American product.

So Utica Cutlery is lying and falsely advertising, It is a $37.00 knife, you are not going to get premium wood, jigged bone or horn scales for that kind of money.

• Like 2

For ,many years I’ve been into “ tactical knives “ . But each hunting season I’m drawn to carry a more traditional knife as my daily carry  ,just feels right ,often my Case Trapper .

I recently bought two Case Mini Copperlocks , one as a gift to the guy who lets me store my boat in his factory , and the one other for myself 

Well I’ve been carrying it a lot , sometimes with another like this Spyderco Yojimbo , but often as a stand alone knife . I’m just going more and more into traditional knives .

703428C6-B759-482B-8854-F14C656DF5E1.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

For ,many years I’ve been into “ tactical knives “ . But each hunting season I’m drawn to carry a more traditional knife as my daily carry  ,just feels right ,often my Case Trapper .

I recently bought two Case Mini Copperlocks , one as a gift to the guy who lets me store my boat in his factory , and the one other for myself 

Well I’ve been carrying it a lot , sometimes with another like this Spyderco Yojimbo , but often as a stand alone knife . I’m just going more and more into traditional knives .

703428C6-B759-482B-8854-F14C656DF5E1.jpeg

I've had good luck with Case products. We bought each of the Field to Fork participants the Case Finn. It is a nice knife and perfect hunting size. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, landtracdeerhunter said:

The cheap plastic handles make me question these knives to be an American product.

When you see one of these knives up close it is very apparent that it is a quality product.

2019-01-01_165624.png

Edited by airedale

13 hours ago, airedale said:

When you see one of these knives up close it is very apparent that it is a quality product.

2019-01-01_165624.png

I bought a knife once that was suppose to be an American made product, took delivery only to find out the base was being manufactured in China, sent over to the states where a so called American blade was installed. Thus the reason for my first remark.

I just don't like to see a cheap plastic handle on a American product. Like the look of it.  Know the price would be more with better material and all.  I may just try one of these though;   jazz it up a bit. I'm a fan of brass bolsters and pins.  I do like the idea of a New York based knife company manufacturing product in such a hostile state, given the knife laws and all  here. 

The seller on Ebay has only two reviews since August 18 sign up. That worries me.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

If you do purchase one of these knives I am quite sure you will be pleased and even though the handle is a plain white color, the material looks to be of very good quality. By the way the fellow selling these knives is very good with communication and seems to try hard to work with what you are wanting inscribed on your knife, also Utica does make a few relatively higher end pieces if you are wanting something with more pop.

Got caught up gabbing about these Utica Cutlery knives and forgot to mention the other knife find, been looking several years for something made by custom knife maker "Jack Hawk" and finally hit pay dirt. A guy on ebay had one out of an estate sale, it had actually been used which is kind of unusual for a high end knife. The blade had several small blemishes right on the cutting edge, but nothing serious. If I had to guess it looks like blood damage, the knife was put away after a field dressing job and not cleaned up thoroughly. I have been working on those blemishes getting them polished out by hand, it has been tedious job but I have got it looking pretty good.

Jack Hawk's Dad was Joe Hawk AKA "Joe Dakota" an early member of the knifemakers guild, also an western stand in actor and trick shot artist. The whole clan was into making knives, a couple of other brothers and a nephew.

Al

2018-12-27_134509.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Just picked these case trapper knives at the " Made in America" in Elma. The knives were originally 42 and 43...marked down to 31 and 32 with an additional 20% off bringing the down to the mid 20 range. Bought the mini for my 3 yr old when he passes his hunter safety class one day and the other one for my buddy who is turning 40 next week. 3cd53c338a33b517ddcc0d584adde084.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Needed it like a hole in the head, found another knife made by Jack Hawk, a little cape-skinning job used but in decent condition with a few scratches on the blade from an ill fitting sheath. All Jack's knives I have seen so far have they same hallmarks, file work on the top of the blade with scalloping on the upper sides. For 5 years I could not locate one of his knives for sale and now in the last 6 months I find two, oh well at least I got it for a decent price.:yes:

Al

2019-03-01_072526.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

i was checking out a knife we had in our silent auction at the banquet this past weekend. it was an LT Wright Bushbaby HC very simple but not a bad knife.  One guy i know makes awesome knives but i'd be reluctant to use it so much they're so nice. that's RT Custom Knives.

On 12/27/2018 at 6:04 PM, Otto said:

Quick photos of some of them.
65e36bdedf412dfef4fdddeb71136649.jpgd5837303bcee06bddbd80c310cf358da.jpgca10e9f0479b0040409e150dfadd443c.jpg1aeef5509a88fb6dd9734c7c92ab41c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not long ago i had Buckmasters send me a Buck fixed blade knife. it broke in half being worked very little. Buck said that's odd and that it was guaranteed. just send it back. with postage it would've been cheaper to just order the knife from Buck to replace it. They don't make stuff like they used to. Today's world is full of gold and garbage to fit any budget. There's way more of the latter too.

• 4 months later...

As Robert Palmer would have said, "Might as well face it I'm addicted to knives" :imsohappy: the newest addition is a Davy Crockett made by Dickson, a double edged Damascus that was harder than hell to sharpen. A good mate for my 32 cal Crockett Squirrel rifle.

Al

dickson.jpg

crocket.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2