Windows 10 Is A PITA!

DirtTime

So I hooked up the new PC tonight. Going on 6 hours trying to get a solid configuration. Configuring W10 is comparable to, asking a choice to stick your hand in a blender or cut it off with a chainsaw. I'm getting things under control somewhat, but then when asked to restart, all that crap I don't want or need that I deleted is back. This will be fun!

Hated 10 when it came out, seemed ridiculously complicated - mainly because it tried to be ridiculously simple.  But ... 7 was horrendous, esp toward the end, with so many service packs and patches.  Slow as hell.  10 is really not bad once you get used to it.  

Personally I won't buy an Apple product.  Don't get me started.... :\

I picked up a new computer at the end of the summer, the old computer was Windows 7 and the new model came with Windows 10. There was a little bit of a learning curve but it did not take me long to get used to 10. It was the same deal when I went from Windows XP to Windows 7 and Windows Millennium to XP, once I figured out how the new OS worked there was no problem, most folks just do not like change when they get used to doing things a certain way. In a few days you will start getting the hang of 10 Rob and once you do you will be satisfied with it.

Al 

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, airedale said:

I picked up a new computer at the end of the summer, the old computer was Windows 7 and the new model came with Windows 10. There was a little bit of a learning curve but it did not take me long to get used to 10. It was the same deal when I went from Windows XP to Windows 7 and Windows Millennium to XP, once I figured out how the new OS worked there was no problem, most folks just do not like change when they get used to doing things a certain way. In a few days you will start getting the hang of 10 Rob and once you do you will be satisfied with it.

Al 

I thought Windows XP was the best version but change is inevitable !

• Like 1

Like most, I resisted the free Win10 upgrade. Just TOO social media embedded in the home page & start-ups. Well... had to get a new PC which came with Win10. First thing I did was install an app to retain the Win7 homepage & file mgr. Been flawless since, for what I use a PC for!!

Win3, that's going back in time! Anyone remember the stack of 3.5" disc needed to install Win1 or Win3. Even worse was the PILE of installation discs for MS Office from same time frame! Hell I even remember the 5.25" floppy needed to start an IBM clone PC back in their infancy. Then to run a program, needed a 2nd floppy disc. AND.. a lot of DOS commands. Then to save something, needed a 3rd floppy disc. Believe I've used every version of windows, except Win8 which I also avoided. Holy crap I'm old!!!

Edited by nyslowhand

Windows 10 is fine.  My only issue with Windows 10 is that they make it too user friendly and by that I mean they force a lot of control on you.  For example, I still always use the on Windows 7 style control panel and I always uncheck "Let Windows manage your printers", etc.

OK, let me explain a bit more.

My PC's take a huge amount of usage due to my GCI software, and other GFX software. My old PC just wasn't on par for the IRay render engine ( or a couple others ). So my wife bought me a new PC. The SSD should speed up render times with the specs I have now, but I need to set up the software to read and load content from directories on the External HD ( EHD ).

It came with Windows 10, and most OS's come with a bunch of crap someone like me doesn't need. MS seems to really go over board on what THEY think people need or want.

Tweaking this and that, I have gotten things as close to a UI that fits me as I think I can.

Now, onto installing the EHD, EDVD/CD-R, and then porting my GFX software over the the EHD.

• Like 1

Did you ever get the impression that most computer operating systems change just so they can sell more software that has been left incompatible by the changes? I think they are running out of useful things to add or revise, and are now starting on the changes that aren't necessarily any better, but simply "different". I don't want to play their game anymore.

I think that when I have to replace my computer with a new one, the first thing I will do is to change the operating system back to Windows 7 that I am using now. I have been told that some of my old office products may not work with windows 10 because they have lost the ability to read macros written using macro-language instead of visual Basic. Why should I have to reconstruct dozens of spreadsheets just because the inept software writers of the day can not maintain compatibility. These spreadsheets have basically run our household for over 3 decades, and Windows 7 still recognizes those old spreadsheets that use the old macro-language macros. I don't need to have some techno-nerd wrecking perfectly good flawless spread sheets just because he can.

13 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Win3, that's going back in time! Anyone remember the stack of 3.5" disc needed to install Win1 or Win3. Even worse was the PILE of installation discs for MS Office from same time frame! Hell I even remember the 5.25" floppy needed to start an IBM clone PC back in their infancy. Then to run a program, needed a 2nd floppy disc. AND.. a lot of DOS commands. Then to save something, needed a 3rd floppy disc. Believe I've used every version of windows, except Win8 which I also avoided. Holy crap I'm old!!!

I remember them too!

I was just happy as a pig in mud when I got my first hard drive, a whopping 40M. I could never fill a drive that large! Now it wouldn't even hold todays programs.

23 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I kept getting notices to change from 8.1 to windows 10 . I had heard a lot of folks complain so I never made the change . No regrets ! 

Windows 8 is goddamned awful.  The rule of thumb with Microsoft is every other OS.  Xp, 7, now 10.  Also don't upgrade until there's at least one service pack out.

Personally I've found 10 to be decent, I don't care for some of the GUl choices they've made.

Anyone having trouble with 10, Google windows 10 settings or something in that vein.  There's a list of stuff you can turn off.

• Like 2

I have my UI set up now for the most part, I can get to things I need with one click. I also did a test with CMD to ping sites to see if they are live. Have my GFX software installed and the main software on the SSD is reading from the EHD perfectly, a little tricky setting up the paths, but I got it done. Now I just need to tweak the GFX card to accept the HD TV I use as a monitor for true HD images.