Windows 10 Is A PITA!

DirtTime

2 hours ago, Belo said:

Dude 8 is the worst, you’re missing out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude -  I am quite happy with 8.1 . My wife and friends have windows 10 and have problems . I am a firm believer in the statement that "If it works , don't fix it " !

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 7:44 PM, nyslowhand said:

Like most, I resisted the free Win10 upgrade. Just TOO social media embedded in the home page & start-ups. Well... had to get a new PC which came with Win10. First thing I did was install an app to retain the Win7 homepage & file mgr. Been flawless since, for what I use a PC for!!

Win3, that's going back in time! Anyone remember the stack of 3.5" disc needed to install Win1 or Win3. Even worse was the PILE of installation discs for MS Office from same time frame! Hell I even remember the 5.25" floppy needed to start an IBM clone PC back in their infancy. Then to run a program, needed a 2nd floppy disc. AND.. a lot of DOS commands. Then to save something, needed a 3rd floppy disc. Believe I've used every version of windows, except Win8 which I also avoided. Holy crap I'm old!!!

Windows 95 was like 20 3.5" floppies for the install. Man that was a pain in the nuts to reload a PC back then. I dont miss those days at all. I worked for a computer manufacturer back then, it was horrible.

On 12/29/2018 at 7:55 AM, Doc said:

Did you ever get the impression that most computer operating systems change just so they can sell more software that has been left incompatible by the changes? I think they are running out of useful things to add or revise, and are now starting on the changes that aren't necessarily any better, but simply "different". I don't want to play their game anymore.

I think that when I have to replace my computer with a new one, the first thing I will do is to change the operating system back to Windows 7 that I am using now. I have been told that some of my old office products may not work with windows 10 because they have lost the ability to read macros written using macro-language instead of visual Basic. Why should I have to reconstruct dozens of spreadsheets just because the inept software writers of the day can not maintain compatibility. These spreadsheets have basically run our household for over 3 decades, and Windows 7 still recognizes those old spreadsheets that use the old macro-language macros. I don't need to have some techno-nerd wrecking perfectly good flawless spread sheets just because he can.

Actually, the updates to most OSs are due to security needs. Eventually its just easier for them to rebuild than it is to continually patch things. Plus, how else would they make money? Thats what businesses are there for.

• Like 2

Dude -  I am quite happy with 8.1 . My wife and friends have windows 10 and have problems . I am a firm believer in the statement that "If it works , don't fix it " !

To make a hunting analogy,

This is the equivalent of still hunting with your compound from 94 because it still works.

But it’s your world, I didn’t mean anything by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even worst so.  It's like staying with a black and white TV and then complaining that the new 3D high definition movie doesn't look as good on it.  As website designers and programmer continue to design their products with the assumption that you are using the latest operating systems, eventually your operating system won't support anything that on the internet anymore.  Unfortunately with technology you have to move with the pace that the rest of the world is moving if you're going to use the stuff the rest of the world is using.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Windows 10 is like the "New and Improved" crap . Something works great and the company changes it and calls it new and improved but it no longer works great and instead it sucks . 

How can you say that if you don't have it and never have? You're judging your whole argument on this based on what your wife and friends have said. As others have said, yes there are changes and yes that can be frustrating. Thing like removing windows movie maker annoyed me, but there are improvements as well. For the average user it has built in virus protection and the average smart user wont need to pay for something above and beyond. The boot speeds are much better and the layout of 10 is more inline with 7 which was well received. 8 was considered a turd by all. And heck, for the first time ever it was a free update!

I guess I dont really care, but I struggle with your stance when you haven't even tried it.

• Like 1