Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

Haven't been out on the lake in a couple weeks. Looks like they saved me a few.  Usually Aug walleye is a mystery for me. But limit by 9am. Had first two in about 40 min then had to work for the last one.  Biggest was a nice 22.5".  Real good for Oneida . My second best all year. 

We were gonna do some more planting but Corey had to work.  So I hit the lake.  Good morning out.  

IMG_20210807_094931052.jpg

• Like 9

Walleyes are pretty thick right now out in front of Godfrey point in 45'. A lot of them are suspended early in the morning and drop down as the light increases. I've been trolling 5" crankbaits on planer boards and leadcore and been doing really well.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Walleyes are pretty thick right now out in front of Godfrey point in 45'. A lot of them are suspended early in the morning and drop down as the light increases. I've been trolling 5" crankbaits on planer boards and leadcore and been doing really well.

Nice! That spot off from Godfrey is def good.  I used to get a few in the weedbeds too in 14' in the bay to the west of it. 

Today I was fishing between 107 and 109 bit closer to Lewis pt.  27-31 fow. Using worm harnesses at 1.2 mph. They were right on the bottom. Most of this season the best bite has been suspended it seems like.  

I got a 23" earlier in the year and someone I took out fishing got a 24" , which is the biggest so far this season.  

• Like 1

Nice! That spot off from Godfrey is def good.  I used to get a few in the weedbeds too in 14' in the bay to the west of it. 
Today I was fishing between 107 and 109 bit closer to Lewis pt.  27-31 fow. Using worm harnesses at 1.2 mph. They were right on the bottom. Most of this season the best bite has been suspended it seems like.  
I got a 23" earlier in the year and someone I took out fishing got a 24" , which is the biggest so far this season.  
Yea most of my fish are coming 15' off the bottom. Trolling at 2.25mph with snap weights and planers with a couple of leadcore rods out the back.

• Like 1

Just now, chrisw said:

Yea most of my fish are coming 15' off the bottom. Trolling at 2.25mph with snap weights and planers with a couple of leadcore rods out the back.

Last year it seemed like everything was hugging the bottom. Course last year you couldn't miss. 

Ive been running two lines low and one high and that high one has produced all year the best.  So I was switching that up and running one just above bottom, one 5ft and one 10ft off. Today that on the bottom rod was busy all morn. Just never know. 

Today I was alone and didnt run any planers. I need the rod per person limit upped to 4. Lol 

• Like 1

Last year it seemed like everything was hugging the bottom. Course last year you couldn't miss. 
Ive been running two lines low and one high and that high one has produced all year the best.  So I was switching that up and running one just above bottom, one 5ft and one 10ft off. Today that on the bottom rod was busy all morn. Just never know. 
Today I was alone and didnt run any planers. I need the rod per person limit upped to 4. Lol 
I agree! 4 rod limit and 5 fish limit haha

• Like 1

Another good morn , limit by 8:15.  Nothing huge but quality 16-18" eyes and a few perch.  Hit one spot had perch hitting all three rods and prob could've pounded them there for a bit but got the last eye right after that and called it a day before it gets hot.  

Weird to get walleye in Aug but they are def hitting. Lake never greened up this year and not a lot of weeds so thats prob it.  Whatever it is I am all for it. 27-31 FOW.  All on the same color spinner and yesterday was the same but all on a different color spinner.  Home, fish cleaned and breakfast done by 10:00 is all good. And Charlie agrees. 

IMG_20210808_073033529.jpg

IMG_20210808_081720221.jpg

IMG_20210808_091832039.jpg

IMG_20210808_101733030.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

Put in another food plot area in a trail this morn.  

And pic of area we did three weeks ago is growing like crazy.   

That prob it for work there for a couple of weeks and then we will start trimming shooting lanes for all the stands and put on new straps.  Unless I decide to go tomorrow too. Lol. 

Last pic is the 9ft stand we have tucked in by the area we put in food plot. Can you find it?? Lol.  It is buried in there.  

Also took down one treestand we are going to replace it next time out.   Season is coming,! 

IMG_20210814_080050572_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210814_080055882.jpg

IMG_20210814_082027610_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

Out today prepping some stands.  Got three totally done and one about 1/2 done.  Cut trails into the stands that grew in, trimmed shooting lanes, replaced top straps.  Our stands sure are tucked in.  

The one by the swamp I trimmed it all up but think I want to move it. Only about 20 yards but to a spot can see both ways on the trail.  Crab apple trees are loaded. 

Got 3 out of 9 stands completely done for season so good morning and start. 

First three pics are 2 views from "Roadkill stand" and then the stand tucked in.

Then next two are views from the "Pine tree" stand . 

Last two pics are  of the "Swamp stand" and then a view from it.

IMG_20210815_071449787.jpg

IMG_20210815_071452247.jpg

IMG_20210815_072552975_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210815_075551417_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210815_075554716_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210815_084314798_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210815_085953695_HDR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little hunting work today.  Replaced a stand and pulled cam cards. No more pics of "Big Sixy". Just a bunch of pics of a three point (like 40 pics of him) and some does. Which is usual til season gets going. 

Food plots faired ok from heavy rain.  One spot was a little washed but it will have to do.  And they Def like them.  Lots pics on them, esp the one plot which is just Ireland green.

Lots of clover where we frost seeded this year.  

Also have a brush hog on the way for delivery on wed!  Been needing one and bit the bullet and ordered it. Gonna put it to use this next weekend hopefully.  

Need to still trim some stands and put up a groundblind. Hope to have it done with a three day upcoming weekend.  

IMG_20210828_081958022.jpg

IMG_20210828_081936476.jpg

IMG_20210828_122730709.jpg

IMG_20210828_122317477.jpg

IMG_20210828_122635139.jpg

IMG_20210828_124918397.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 9

48 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Nice! My gf just said that this week was like Christmas for me..lol ..

I have been ordering supplies for my upcoming elk trip and UPS,FedEx and usps probably hated me this week.. 

Wow an elk trip is like every hunters dream trip.  I would be obsessed with getting ready. Lol

Please post a bunch of pics of the trip so we can live it thru you!  

11 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Wow an elk trip is like every hunters dream trip.  I would be obsessed with getting ready. Lol

Please post a bunch of pics of the trip so we can live it thru you!  

Will do. I have high hopes. But , if I can hear 1 bull bugle it will be a success in my book...

• Like 2

a few pics of our little food plot.  I have 100s of pics of these fawns chasing each other.  Its hilarious.  Wish i had it on video.  There is a mom and twin fawns and then this yearling that comes in and they just start chasing each other - pretty cool 

last fawn pic looks like a future buck - think we will give him at least another year. lol 

last two pics of a 3pt that never leaves the area i have 40-50 pics of him. 

littlefield '21 4.JPG

littlefield '21 7.JPG

littlefield '21 8.JPG

littlefield '21 9.JPG

littlefield '21 10.JPG

littlefield '21 12.JPG

littlefield '21 14.JPG

littlefield '21 15.JPG

stota 3pt '21 4.JPG

Stota 3pt '21.JPG

• Like 3