Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

1 minute ago, Steuben Jerry said:

That’ll work!

Guy that let's us hunt there is a great fella and he works so much . He will cut it with his tractor like once a year. We are gonna be able to help him out now.  And help out our hunting.  Been wanting to get one for a couple years now. So I just bit the bullet and bought one. 

We widened some trail areas this spring with the chainsaw and it grows back in quick . 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I know it goes without saying, but watch for rocks. I always think I know where they are, but more heave out of the ground every year around here. That swisher looks nice being dent-free.

Our spot is weird. You can't find a rock there. Lol. I mean like not one . Not even a little stone.  It used to be farmland and it all grew in but it's on the edge of swamp and mucklands.  When we tilled with the tow behind atv plow we never even kicked up a pebble.  But def will still be on the lookout thanks. Most of the area we are doing are well established trails for years. But in glad it has break away blades in case. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, knehrke said:

You and I are on the same page. I cut my trails on Wednesday, taking advantage of the cool weather. I tow a Kunz Acrease MR55K behind my Yamaha, and it's a beast. Very similar to the Swisher. And onto straps and lanes this weekend.

awesome!  it just feels good to be out there and in cooler weather.  Skeeters are crazy bad though.  If you dont hear from me for a couple of weeks the DEET was too much.  lol Good luck with the weekend prep.

On 8/7/2021 at 3:10 PM, chrisw said:

I agree! 4 rod limit and 5 fish limit haha

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Chris I hear its looking likely for the 5 fish limit for next year. Im kinda torn about it.  I def like keeping 5 eyes but want to be sure the fishing stays good.  A lot of talk about slot limits of 15-21" and can only keep one over 21".  I would be ok with that.  Rarely get one over 21' anyway.

• Like 1

Chris I hear its looking likely for the 5 fish limit for next year. Im kinda torn about it.  I def like keeping 5 eyes but want to be sure the fishing stays good.  A lot of talk about slot limits of 15-21" and can only keep one over 21".  I would be ok with that.  Rarely get one over 21' anyway.
I'd even go as far as a limit of 15-17", only one over 17. I really don't care either way honestly. I can live with 3 fish. I also don't want it to become tough to even catch a walleye either. That lake gets pounded as it is.

4 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I'd even go as far as a limit of 15-17", only one over 17. I really don't care either way honestly. I can live with 3 fish. I also don't want it to become tough to even catch a walleye either. That lake gets pounded as it is.

i need to up my perch game out there.  Hoping to get out a few more times before hunting season.  I havent been out in a month due to the weather and other projects.  Prob not until next weekend hopefully. Might even fish a bit early morns in Oct for a bit and just hunt evenings esp on the warm days. If they lowered it to 14 and 3/4" i would always get my limit!  seems like a billion of those out there. 

Spent 5-1/2 hours cutting shooting lanes, trimming stands, replacing straps.  Got 4 of them done. Everything grew in so bad this year with all the humid days. But we are getting there.  

Just have to put up ground blind and finish trimming one stand, hopefully tomorrow.  Had to quit today I cut so much brush my hands were cramping. 

But got scrapetree, point, wayback and Littlefield done. Our little kill plots look ok but lots of grass grew back in. The night of 6 inches of rain didn't help much. But can still see some of our mixes growing in there. 

Hoping to finish a couple of things tomorrow. One other stand to trim CSS but that is gonna be for Corey. It is covered in poison ivy. And he seems to be able to get thru it pretty good. I would pay for it for sure. Lol. 

Getting juiced for season.  Lost my other spot to hunt but really looking forward to focus on hunting here this year.  

IMG_20210904_074637927.jpg

IMG_20210904_100250385_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210904_110555873_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210904_115418842_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

Finished hunting prep today.  Groundblind is up and I seeded the cut area with some throw and grow mix to see if we can sweeten up the spot a little by season.  Put up a camera out there too 

Corey cleaned out the poison ivy at CSS and did a little cleanup cutting with the cutter.  

Should be good to go now for season.  Hopefully Corey and I can even fish a day next weekend.  Haven't been out in a month. But feels good to get it all done. 

IMG_20210906_144757971.jpg

IMG_20210906_144800947_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210906_145058794.jpg

IMG_20210906_145910226_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210906_145956671.jpg

IMG_20210906_150517399.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Looks good. Get them radishes going by your blinds and big Sixy will be paying you a visit 

By the blind it's hayed by a farmer so didn't plant anything there. But he just cut it so I threw a bag of throw and grow ryegrass, rape and clover out there for the heck of it.  Next year might seed that corner s little bit more.   But we def have some radish in by two of our stands.  Hoping big Sixy makes an appearance for one of us. Excited for the season. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 9:33 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

Shhhh.... Don't tell Corey.  Secret food plot going in. Lol

This will be too funny if they come up.  Put a few sunflowers in near one of our stands.  Should be funny when he gets into it this fall. Planted about 50.  Hopefully they take. 

IMG_20210527_075729694.jpg

this was a bust !  not one single plant took. But they were also on a swamp edge and with all the rain, not surprised.  Will try some next year in a different spot. 

bucks from 2020 that i am hoping made it to this year!  couple of duplicates in there but hoping at least some of them made it thru to this season.  i already know "Big Sixy" made it but havent gotten any pics of the others yet. Next card pull will be the weekend before season.  Bucks seem to mostly show up here only during season anyway. 

RSS big buck 2020.JPG

stota 2020 2.JPG

stota 2020 6.JPG

stota 2020 10.JPG

stota 2020 18.JPG

stota 2020 24.JPG

stota 2020 buckage 3.JPG

stota 2020 scrapetree 3.JPG

stota buck 2020 .JPG

stota 2020 26.JPG

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2