Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

Took a better look at these and this I thought was the same 5 we had earlier is actually a 7.  

Going out for a short sit in a close spot Tonite. Low 9ft stand in these 20 mph winds again. Have to work tomorrow so just a short sit then back at it wed night thru Sunday. But this spot has 2 new scrapes.

IMG_20211031_120933005.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

Hunt #19. 4:00-dark. Swamp stand. 

Some new scrapes right by this stand and some buck pics including the Check Buck. But no action Tonite. Water was up to the top of boots to get into the stand.  I've now been in every stand on our hunting spot except Opener. Which I usually save for opening day of gun. A fun 4 days off of chasing that 8 point.  Had my eyes on him twice but out of range.  

Next week is looking great. 4 day weekend again. Cooler weather, xbow opens, and the bucks are on the move. Back out Wed after work. 

IMG_20211031_160933213.jpg

IMG_20211031_160941454.jpg

IMG_20211031_160948841.jpg

• Like 1

Checkbuck looks like a good heavy one.   Hopefully he shows up in range for you today.    

It is cool that you also have a special stand for opening day of gun.  I have one of those.  Mine is a small, uncomfortable hang-on, that I always stay off of until that day.   I hunted it the last three, and punched a tag on each of those.   I have always been a “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” type of guy so I will see if I can extend that streak a few more years anyhow.

I am going to hunt those woods for the first time this Saturday when crossbow opens up.  I will check it out then to see if it is still structurally sound and if there are any branches that need trimming near it.  

I am definitely not hunting from it until opening day of gun, and I will most likely use my grandpas old Ithaca 37 16 gauge.  My supply of 12 gauge Hornady SST’s is getting low so I will save those for hunts from stands where longer shots are expected.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Checkbuck looks like a good heavy one.   Hopefully he shows up in range for you today.    

It is cool that you also have a special stand for opening day of gun.  I have one of those.  Mine is a small, uncomfortable hang-on, that I always stay off of until that day.   I hunted it the last three, and punched a tag on each of those.   I have always been a “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” type of guy so I will see if I can extend that streak a few more years anyhow.

I am going to hunt those woods for the first time this Saturday when crossbow opens up.  I will check it out then to see if it is still structurally sound and if there are any branches that need trimming near it.  

I am definitely not hunting from it until opening day of gun, and I will most likely use my grandpas old Ithaca 37 16 gauge.  My supply of 12 gauge Hornady SST’s is getting low so I will save those for hunts from stands where longer shots are expected.

wont be back out hunting til Wed but then i have Wed after work thru Sunday to hunt, and the xbow opener on Sat. Hoping to run into this buck, he is all over the place. 

That stand is funny.  When we first got permission to hunt the property I quick put up a couple of stands for the two other guys to use in nice laneways.  I had already tagged with bow so i just thru up a 9ft stand quick in the middle of the property 2 days before gun season to use.  And wouldnt you know it - I tagged on a buck opening day.  lol (one of my buddies did shoot at and miss a slammer so I didnt feel too bad). But since then have had shots there and one of my buddies tag out of that stand as well.  Its in the thick swamp and there is no way to get a bowshot in there.  

I also am on the waitlist for some hornady 12's from Buds online.  But i did get a couple more packs in the spring from them. 

Hunt #20.  4-dark. Pine tree stand

A quick hunt close after work. Seen a nice buck in a field on the way glaring down a doe.  But no action in the stand.  Corey was in the ground blind and also didn't see anything. 

Got a 4 day weekend and wind looks good tomorrow to hit the stand where the check buck has been roaming.   Plan to get in there at first light and if no action by 10 gonna try a little grunt and rattle.

IMG_20211103_160554339_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211103_160548365_HDR.jpg

Hunt #21 dark -10:45.  Scrapetree stand.

No shot sent but good hunt.  Saw 4 doe. Passed one at 34 yards. Same one I passed a week ago.  My restraint is impressive! Lol.  She looked back twice so was hoping a buck in tow.  She's in pic here. 

Corey was in wayback and saw nothing.  

Tells me 4 does just out feeding in trail that chasing isn't really hard yet but scrapes are ripped back in too. Back out this afternoon on the other side of this spot as wind did a 180. 

IMG_20211104_090022840_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211104_073841579_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Hunt #22.  2:15-dark.  Point stand.

About 5pm heard a noise in brush then definite deer walking. It's coming to my right in the thick brush. I see a face and horns.  Nice buck. 7 point below.  He was walking parrellel to the trail. It is so thick. I pick out one little hole and of course he doesn't go that way.  Had him at 25 yards and can't get a shot. He walks off and I try a couple grunts but it didn't even phase him.  Heartbreaker Tonite.  

IMG_20211104_120727872.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

It was pretty warm overnight so quartered and cooled everything over night in fridge.  Didn't get done til after midnight. But up and at em today.  Packaged everything and stocked the freezer.  Steaks, stew, roasts, couple of cubed steaks and 35 grown man sized venison bacon burgers! 
Got all my hunting gear reset and ready. Will have Fri Eve thru Tues to play for a buck now.  
IMG_20211020_075602021.thumb.jpg.a1cecdf8fccb1221bfaae5325f7ee111.jpg
IMG_20211020_131434343.thumb.jpg.bb38ac945d354450621809f30d639bb0.jpg
IMG_20211020_150418143.thumb.jpg.9bbf342916f1b5664cf91eed237b3a64.jpg

I missed this earlier but it’s so beautiful that it needs a repost!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Hunt #23 dark -10:30.  Swamp stand.
Didn't see anything.  Heard a deer blow about 10:00. But it wasn't in my wind . At least I think.  Never saw it though. 
Corey was a scrapetree and he heard a deer walking behind him. 

IMG_20211105_094611133.thumb.jpg.4ee15c372404d9e438f9f02951df54a1.jpg
Just curious rob.....no all day sits yet?
Just had a shooter stroll past a cell cam at 12:27.....burns me up not being out at that time of the day this time of year.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Just curious rob.....no all day sits yet?
Just had a shooter stroll past a cell cam at 12:27.....burns me up not being out at that time of the day this time of year.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Last two days the wind in the morn has been E, SE, then at 10-11 it changes to W, NW.  So ive been getting out grab breakfast and pick a different stand for the pm. Am considering it tomorrow as the wind looks consistent. 

But also hardly any daylight buck pics yet. Most at night. I have a run of 6 days off from Nov 11-16 so prob most likely a day or two there. 

• Like 1

Hunt #24. 2:15-dark.  Littlefield.

Didn't see anything. Got busted on way out in the dark by the groundblind. Everytime I've hunted that stand I get busted at the groundblind. Should just hunt there!

Spot they always scrape I put a dripper up at is all tore up! Sucks that had a weed in front of cam and it killed the battery. 

Corey was in scrapetree and missed a 3 pt about 4pm. Clean miss low. Happens to us all. 

Onto xbow tomorrow.  

IMG_20211105_144344231.jpg

IMG_20211105_144339835_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211105_142445990.jpg

IMG_20211105_142437796.jpg

• Like 2

Hunt #25.  Dark - 10:40.  Scrapetree

Saw one big doe just before I left crossing trail at 150+. Corey shot at doe and missed and one of them ran my way. He saw 4 does at wayback.  Tough season for him so far. Hoping he gets another chance. 

I also saw two pheasants on way out in field by barn where we.park. 

IMG_20211106_074121127_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211106_074134005.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Hunt #26 2-dark.  Point stand.  Didn't see anything Tonite. Corey was in the groundblind and also didn't see anything.  

Might give it a break tomorrow esp in the area I've been hunting hard.  Maybe hunt the groundblind in the pm.  Then no one will be in the there for 4 days.  It's been hunted pretty hard last few days. 

IMG_20211106_143639188.jpg

IMG_20211106_143652558.jpg