Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

11 minutes ago, Otto said:

Sounds like my day Rob.  But I know you will be out there again tomorrow! 

Yeah us grinders will be back at it. 

Got Corey on the stand weve seen a lot of action at. Thought for sure he would've gotten a shot this morn. He's gonna be back there in the morn and I'm gonna hunt a close stand.  Hope he gets a shot to put one in the freezer.  I plan on getting to point stand in early pm for a long sit and retry today's plan before the neighbors decided to shoot the place up. 

Good luck. Have at 'em tomorrow!!

My buddy was hunting nearby and he shot a small buck 15 minutes after legal time.  So it was not a completely terrible day!  With that early shot I thought there would be a lot of action.   An old friend of mine used to say “Early ripe, early rotten”. Held true today! 

• Like 1

Hunt #36 pine tree stand. Dark -9:30.  

Didn't see anything. Was planning to go home let dog out and come back at noon. But got a call from Corey he shot a doe!  So went back and helped with that. Glad he filled the freezer!   Talked to landowner for a while after. Gonna bag this afternoon now as it's gotten late.  Back out Tues or wed. 

64628.jpeg

• Like 5

Hunt #36 pine tree stand. Dark -9:30.  
Didn't see anything. Was planning to go home let dog out and come back at noon. But got a call from Corey he shot a doe!  So went back and helped with that. Glad he filled the freezer!   Talked to landowner for a while after. Gonna bag this afternoon now as it's gotten late.  Back out Tues or wed. 
64628.thumb.jpeg.aa68493c8b8dd0ca27d2c8f0117b1659.jpeg
What's with the huge bulge up near the deer's back?

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Hunt #37 pretty much all day point stand. 

Got headed in the morn with some fresh snow. Was going to a stand on the SE end of property but caught some large tracks coming out of where I was headed. Not really fresh but within the early mornings it snowed. Knew it was a buck. They lead me right over to the stand I have been hunting and seeing bucks in bow. So sat there. Saw one doe at about 80 in the brush. Didn't shoot was hoping for a buck but nothing following. 

Pulled the cam cards and the buck was thru at 2 am . Big heavy 8 pt.  Left about 10:30 back about 12:30. Sat til dark and saw nothing. 

Also saw a beautiful pheasant in the am.

IMG_20211123_111232684.jpg

IMG_20211123_132635251.jpg

IMG_20211123_154301162.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Hunt #38 scrape tree stand. 10am -dark.  

Never saw a single deer.  I know there is a couple of bucks close.  Couple of big 8s and a 7 I have been around all season.  Seen him 4-5 times in bow. Pulled a couple of cams on way in.  Pick of me and Corey carting out his doe from Sunday.  And a new 6 pt. 

IMG_20211124_181619300.jpg

IMG_20211124_181526872.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 6

Hunt #39. Light -10:30.  Scrapetree.

Nothing seen. Pulled cam card there and no deer since Sunday .  Took out the old 94 Winchester 30/30 for some luck but it didn't work out.  Not sure about tomorrow. Weather is looking rough. 35+ mph wind gusts and lake effect. Will see what it looks like in the morn.  

IMG_20211125_065854914.jpg

Hunt #40. Point. Light -10:15. 

Had 2 doe come in behind me about 8.  They snuck in to about 40 yards.  I turned to look as I heard steps and stand creaked a little. The larger one just turned and flicked her tail a couple of times and they wandered off.  Holding out for a buck. Plus 3 does have taken off the property this year and that's a lot for this spot.  Back out about 1. Then no hunting til Friday .  I have fri-mon off. 

IMG_20211128_072642098.jpg

IMG_20211128_072629374.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That’s 4pt is wacky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He is wacky. Corey shot under him with the bow, I've seen him at 50 with the bow and 80 with the xbow.  We have a ton of pics of him.  He's got a big body but some odd horns for sure.  At this point I'd prob take him if he shows up again.  I have a feeling he's the one I saw walking out Tonite.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Hunt #41 1:15- dark. Point stand

Saw nothing in the stand. Kicked one up on the way out in brush past wayback. All I saw was tail and speed. Great quiet sit in light snow but nothing wandered thru. 

Have you considered making 3-4 mock scrapes down along the edge of that farm road 40-50 yards apart . . . Maybe some doe in heat attractant around a mock beding spot off the road 15-20 yards in the brush . Let the area steep for a day or two in sent  , then Pack a lunch and sit . There has to be deer close by maybe you can get them there via their noses . You get one buck to slow down there he may stay close for a couple days .weather is changing Thursday maybe you will seal the deal fri-sun 

Edited by Whitetailhobo
More to say
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Whitetailhobo said:

Have you considered making 3-4 mock scrapes down along the edge of that farm road 40-50 yards apart . . . Maybe some doe in heat attractant around a mock beding spot off the road 15-20 yards in the brush . Let the area steep for a day or two in sent  , then Pack a lunch and sit . There has to be deer close by maybe you can get them there via their noses . You get one buck to slow down there he may stay close for a couple days .weather is changing Thursday maybe you will seal the deal fri-sun 

there are 4-5 real scrapes on this already and we have a dripper on one and have put down scent several times on others.  Most of my cams are on scrapes that they use every year.  Good idea! and we are on it already!  

• Like 1

Hunt #44. 1:30-dark. Littlefield stand. 

Saw nothing. Haven't hunted back here much as it's been so flooded plus been having action at other stands. A ton of tracks and sign. Esp into the little cornfield by the road and would guess that's 99% at night. But too close to property line and road to gun hunt it.  Pulled cams on that side also. Will have to look thru them they've been there a while.  

IMG_20211204_145932523.jpg

IMG_20211204_143259456.jpg

Pulled cams on south side of hunting spot today. Lots of deer pics there but all at night for the most part.  But a couple of fairly recent ones of bucks that made it thru opening weekend. Might go to the stand there in the morn. At least getting some pics there, even though they are at night, except for one pic. 

IMG_20211204_184845498.jpg

IMG_20211204_184909795.jpg

IMG_20211204_184924823.jpg

• Like 1