Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

Hunt #50.  2-dark. On the ground by groundblind area.

Holy crap I saw some deer!  Yeah nothing while actually hunting. Get back to the truck it's still legal shooting and look up and here is a deer 100 yards away by little pond eating.  I grabbed the muzzleloader in the truck (as I was hunting with the xbow but had the muzzle with me from this morn) put in a cap and try to get in play.   Then landowner is in the close barn and he works on snowmobiles and fires one up and is revving the heck out of it.  There they go....2 deer.  But at least I saw something and know they still exist there 

IMG_20211217_142302732_HDR.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 5

a wrapup for the 2021 season...

good year of fishing. Caught a good bunch of walleye for the freezer.  Not as good as last season but never saw a year like it last year. Got to fish with a bunch of folks on this site as well which was awesome. 

Was able to put a deer in the freezer.  Passed on a few does, had some nice bucks in sight but could never get a good shot at one during bow season. Gun about the same as usual. Saw a couple of does early then nothing for most of the season. 

Buddy Corey also has meat in the freezer as he also tagged! 

Only having my spot in 7F this year and no longer hunting spot in 6S, i was wondering how it would go.  It turned out to be a very good season.  During bow saw deer almost every time out.  Gun not so much but that was expected.  

Very happy to have a brush hog now for the trails and had a learning experience in food plotting. Sooooo much rain ruined one and the other was eaten to the ground by deer season.  The frost seeding of clover took very well in some spots that didnt get flooded out too much.  

Saw more does than ever on our spot.  Lots of buck pics in season and some good ones but just didnt get the oppurtunity.  

Had a few days off cancelled due to issues at work but for the most part it was a good season.  Might get out once more - most likely on Jan 1.  

Next years to do list is already a strong one.  We jot these down through the season as the ideas come to us.  Cant wait to get started. Hopefully a couple of the nice bucks we have on cam are around to chase next season too. 

2022 Hunting prep plans

Food Plots

-          CSS – do whole corner on the trail that goes by the stand – secret spot mix (2)

-          Littlefield – Mix of bowstand and shot plot

-          Wayback – do same area and also trail from there towards point a ways.  Would like to go farther up trail towards xmas tree if not so wet. – bowstand and shot plot and radish and maybe one more mix….

-          Frost seed clover by point and towards wayback

-          get off my lawn area  (winter peas and a mix or radish) and fertilize.  Do we spray this area?  Want to make it big!

-          Frost seed clover from point to apple trail

-          Frost seed clover by Pine

Trimming/Cutting

-          Brush cutter keep trails cut!!!

-          Open up wayback area by Coreys apple trees

-          Cut wider from wayback to Xmas on rt

-          Widen trail on beach side where we left off

-          Cut back corner at Pine tree

-          Cut in front of wayback to apple tree so it can be mowed

-          Cut larger tree from scrapetree back towards apple trail

-          Cut all stumps to the ground near new cut at scrapetree

-          Cut two small lanes to right of Point to back deer trail

-          Cut a foot path around mudhole to CSS

Stands/Blinds

-          Blind back in at get off my lawn if it worked out – maybe bigger one, def a bigger board for bottom

-          Replace straps

-          Re-cover shooting rails

-          Move swamp stand to see up both trails better, across trail

-          Put groundblind in early spring for Turkey and to get deer used to

-          Pull stand in Madison

Trailcams

-          Up in late July

-          Corey has 2 cell cams to use!  Where to put them…..

Waterfowl hunting

-          Look for old blind and boat

-          Where to setup for

-          Not til Dec 4th and only if Corey and I both have one deer each

-          Setup retrieval system- old boat, rod and reel…

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Lots to do this season.  We build this list all hunting season.  Corey and I text each other ideas when we have them in the stand and we add it to "The List" for next season.  Lots to do but looking forward to it.  Accomplished almost the entire list for last season.  

Ideas for hunting improvements  - 2021

Trimming/cutting

-          Widen trail at Scrapetree – area right in front of stand  - done

-          Widen trail at Wayback –area right in front of stand

-          Cut open view from Scrapetree to see down trail both ways -done

-          Widen Pine tree area on left of trail to Swamp

-          Trim to left of Opener – dead branches - done

-          Trim view from Point towards Scrapetree –be careful not to cut licking branch- done

-          Cut Corner of CSS so can see down towards ditch - done

-          Cut corner of Littlefield to see all of it from stand -done

-          Get a brush hog/cutter for 4 wheeler-done

Adding food/food plots

-          Till and plant Littlefield with Fall mix – plant in late July- Done

-          Frost seed clover at Scrapetree and CSS -done

-          Apple Trees?  - Corey planting two at Wayback area. -Done

-           Plant 1 or 2 apple trees by Pine cleared spot

-          Till Wayback area by Xmas tree and plant food plots- late July -Done

-          Get a ATV tow behind plow. -done

Stands/Blinds

-          New spot on Stota side by field – small groundblind in -done

-          Replace bottom rung on Scrapetree - Done

-          Blind by pond area ? 

New Dirt

-          Corey - get a stand up down the road farther!!!!

-          Rob – ask about Madison neighbor access?  Find out if early Sept season first.  If it passes don’t ask, if it doesn’t ask.

-          Rob – ask D about Cindy and Durhamville lease?? –Done – no go!

-          Rob – hope you get to hunt 6S again! – Done – no go.

Trailcams

-          Late July - Corner of field area behind pond, corner of field stota side, CSS, Littlefield, Scrapetree, Point (by licking branch), Roadkill, Swamp, Wayback x2  - Done

2022 Hunting prep plans

Food Plots

-          CSS – do whole corner on the trail that goes by the stand – “Secret Spot” mix (2)

-          Littlefield – Mix of “Bowstand” and “Shot Plot”

-          Wayback – do same area (hopefully less rain) Mix of “Bowstand” and “Shot Plot”

-          Get off my lawn area - winter peas and radish on each end.  Do we spray this area?  Want to make it big!

-          Frost seed clover from point to apple trail, from point to wayback, trail to Littlefield in dry spots, Pine tree and Swamp stand areas

-          Fertilizer in food plots when seeding

-          Check out Coreys apple trees by wayback, if Taking well maybe plant another one by cut out by Pine

Trimming/Cutting

-          Brush cutter keep trails cut!!!

-          Open up Wayback area by Coreys apple trees

-          Cut wider from Wayback to Xmas on rt

-          Widen trail on beach side where we left off

-          Cut back corner at Pine tree

-          Cut in front of Wayback to apple tree so it can be mowed

-          Cut larger tree from Scrapetree back towards apple trail

-          Cut all stumps to the ground near new cut at Scrapetree

-          Cut two small lanes to right of Point to back deer trail

-          Cut a foot path around mudhole to CSS

-          Cut an area in front of CSS for a turnaround when tilling

-          Cut a path at Roadkill so the deer aren’t using trail to blind. 

Stands/Blinds

-          9ft stand w/skirt or Blind back in at get off my lawn– maybe bigger one, def a bigger board for bottom

-          Replace straps

-          Re-cover shooting rails

-          Move swamp stand to see up both trails better, across trail

-          Put groundblind in early spring for Turkey and to get deer used to? Or bag it cause using a stand?

-          Pull stand in Madison

-          Fix stands that have grown into trees

-          Coreys tree stand skirt for littlefield or Lawn stand

Trailcams

-          Up in late July

-          Corey has 2 cell cams to use!  Where to put them…..both on for notifications?

Waterfowl hunting

-          Look for old blind and boat

-          Where to setup for

-          Not til Dec 4th and only if Corey and I both have one deer each

-          Setup retrieval system- old boat, rod and reel…

-          Corey get a duck gun!

Questions  

-          Ask about access on Stota side ? 

-          Corey Northern tier spot?

-          Get tiller if still avail in spring?

-          David ok with lawn area cut down?  Keep farmer from late cut here?

-          Duck hunting late gun season??  Dec 4+5 goose and duck.  Scout out spots to setup for ducks

-          Get in a day up North still hunting

Current seed stock

-          2 bags “secret spot” (CSS)

-          2 bags “shot plot”  (1 Littlefield, 1 Wayback)

-          2 bags “bowstand” (1 Littlefield, 1 Wayback)

-          2 bags radish  (Lawn)

-          1 10lb bag perennial clover (trails – beach side first – Scrapetree and Point areas, Wayback, if enough- trail from CSS to Littlefield and Pine/swamp area)

-          1 2.5 lb bag clover (trails)

-          1 large bag winter peas (Lawn)

-          5 bags of fertilizer – 2 bags “Lawn”, 1 Bag ea for Littlefield, Wayback, CSS plots

-          Corey is getting more clover also

-         Do we keep food plotting or just frost seed clover all around?  Did food plots come out better in 2022?

-          Is clover taking and can use less?

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

Wow, great list!  I need one to keep me organized and motivated.  I better start jotting down some project ideas. 

I like it when another hunter comes through and gives me suggestions on stand locations or clearings to create.  Always helpful to have a second set of eyes, but I wouldn't want you to add to your already long list! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Otto said:

Wow, great list!  I need one to keep me organized and motivated.  I better start jotting down some project ideas. 

I like it when another hunter comes through and gives me suggestions on stand locations or clearings to create.  Always helpful to have a second set of eyes, but I wouldn't want you to add to your already long list! 

its kinda funny in the fall.  We will be out hunting its all quiet, hoping for a deer to come thru, and Corey will text me from across the property - add to list - "trim to the right of this stand i cant shoot over this side at all so a deer should be coming thru there soon" and i tell him - "next year he is dead!" or something like that. 

Plus we are old and if we dont write it down right away we forget it. 

And def good to have another set of eyes and ideas.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did some brush cutting today. A nice apple tree next to one of our stands the brush has just grown in terrible so cleared that out a bit. Got well over 1/2 of it done. Have to get out there next weekend and try to get the drains for the ponds open. Water is higher than ever and nothing is going thru the drains. That's gonna be fun in the cold water.

Also did some more frost seeding of clover.

Before and after pics of brush cutting. The flooded pond pic and a nice buck rub.

Was good to be outside and working again in tolerable weather.56e66b6f50673772948592b59417d1b0.jpgef3ccc31cb34adcce9c5c833aae398b0.jpgbf6a4a5e9145aeb13f6e505626f432b5.jpg2f8411e2a6d74a233e8f6bacc5591a96.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Signs of spring at the ranch. Venison burgers on the grill and the fish cleaning station is now open for business. Next weekend thinking test run on the lake. fb0872271d75ccdf80dab3f94b66a5b7.jpg6b81cb5eca06cc86979b2922901d691e.jpg

Perch gotta be hitting hard right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Otto said:

Perch gotta be hitting hard right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

i havent heard much - but i guess chris W - nailed a few.  

i hate to go out til walleye opens cause its too hard to throw them back...

Edited by Robhuntandfish

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i havent heard much - but i guess chris W - nailed a few.  

i hate to go out til walleye opens cause its too hard to throw them back...

Aren’t you part Native American?  Use a spear and all will be OK

• Like 1

I didn't fish Oneida for the perch yesterday but a friend of mine did a few days ago and hammered them there too. He also said he caught no less than 20 walleyes in the process...

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Yeah that's what always happens early season the walleyes are on everything. And then let those go.....ugh. lol

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yeah that's what always happens early season the walleyes are on everything. And then let those go.....ugh. lol

I ran over to Rossie, where the walleye run out of Black lake to spawn. It was rainy so poor pics. There were 24"+ walleye everywhere.20220407_163110.thumb.jpg.5de5813a5017e2a70b3714919da8a65e.jpg

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 1

I ran over to Rossie, where the walleye run out of Black lake to spawn. It was rainy so poor pics. There were 24"+ walleye everywhere.20220407_163110.thumb.jpg.5de5813a5017e2a70b3714919da8a65e.jpg
I've caught zero walleye out of there but a whole lot of bass for sure. Awesome lake. Fun bass lake with all the pads.

• Like 1

Got out today on land and got one of the pond drains cleared out and flowing. There was nothing going thru it. Big win there. The other one the water was so deep I couldn't hardly get to it in chest waders. Gonna try that one again next weekend hoping the water goes down some by then.

• 2 weeks later...

Did some more brush cutting and clearing out by this apple tree. The water has gone wayyyyy down after we got the drain open, which was 3+ ft under water.

Good to be outside. Also have a licking branch setup here , let's see if they use it. c4971e725a42cd56160317700bad6d32.jpgec4fefddc7c01e50c0ad69ed11a3d783.jpg5051c46e93d1de2d3f95a2c773e1b393.jpg2b3fdd36b4c4a82ab634d09aa43d927d.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Did some more brush cutting today. Went out and check and water is dropping nicely now. Two huge beautiful swans out on the pond, couldn't get close enough to get a good pic. Didn't turkey hunt as this post Covid cough hasn't gone away yet. Maybe next weekend.

• Like 2

You should have your own show. I follow your posts every season and often we parallel each other plots frost seed equip.   Your list of to do.s make me tired just reading them but that's what land managers do. I'll let u know how that pull behind tiller does. Got burns to do before I put it to work. Frost seed done brush wars done. Logging and firewood done. 2 spots to trimmed and set but my new acreage just about set. This will be the 4th season and have taken 3 average bucks and 3 doe. 2 very nice bucks have evaded me but given me some nice pics to dream about. 

20201121_113433.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SWEDE said:

You should have your own show. I follow your posts every season and often we parallel each other plots frost seed equip.   Your list of to do.s make me tired just reading them but that's what land managers do. I'll let u know how that pull behind tiller does. Got burns to do before I put it to work. Frost seed done brush wars done. Logging and firewood done. 2 spots to trimmed and set but my new acreage just about set. This will be the 4th season and have taken 3 average bucks and 3 doe. 2 very nice bucks have evaded me but given me some nice pics to dream about. 

20201121_113433.jpg

pics like that def will fuel the fire!  Nice buck!

We are looking to til and plant end of july/first of August pending weather.  My hunting buddy had hip surgery so hoping he is all healed by then. Let me know how the tiller works for you.   Biggest pain for us is keeping it cleaned out from grass but they def dig it up.