Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

Gonna start keeping a journal to look back upon at the end of the year.  

Kept a fishing journal for many years and always enjoyed looking back on it. And i have been doing a hunting one for last few years in a notebook.   

Thinking I should put in here my list of outdoor related goals for the year and see if i hit them for 2019, plus this will help keep me motivated!

2019 goals

-  have a good spring/summer of fishing and boat some nice takes of perch and walleye off the lake.

- get a couple of friends out fishing this season that didn't fish with last year   

- up my trolling game and my mid/late summer fishing take

- catch at least one trout (fished for trout once all last season)  

- tag 2 deer for the freezer 

- tag at least one turkey

- bag at least one rabbit

- Loose 36 pounds by the opener of Bow season.  Scaled my ass at 286 this morn - too much!  need to be 250 by Oct 1!  always been and will be a big guy but dont need to be as big! 

- get into some kind of Sept hunting - geese, squirrels, early bear  - at least one day of it

-move treestand in Madison over

- move stands on lease (roadkill, xmas, littlefield) and set the south side and opener area up better.  

- widen trails on lease esp North side 

-better trailcam placements 

-replace straps on every treestand

And most of all appreciate the time spent outdoors !  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Prep starts already for next season. Was a real nice day out.  So moved a stand for gun hunting.  Have a stand (opener stand) 45 yards from here that has been a good gun stand but it is tough to sit in and faces the wrong way. And by moving this made shots by the pond from 200 to all less.  Really like it and will be sitting there for the gun opener. Tucked it right in to the brush nice.  

IMG_20190105_143115314.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Got out to lock in the 30/30 with the new scope I put in it.  Will get out to shoot before season of course but it's zoned in at 100.  I set it an inch higher at 100 after this group, so it should be good.  
IMG_20190309_130211846_HDR.thumb.jpg.763b987373423fd4dd99d5ac29cbe281.jpg
What type of glass? How do you like it?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

What type of glass? How do you like it?

It's a Bushnell banner with the circle X reticle. Addicted to these reticles cause they are so fast to get on the vitals.  Put the circle in the kill zone and touch it off.  It's a fixed 4 power.  Had a 2.5 on it but wwnt to a little more power and that reticle. 

This Winchester is my first deer rifle that my Dad helped me with half when I was 17.  It's also the first year of angle eject so can mount a scope.  And my eyes need one these days.  

• Like 1

It's a Bushnell banner with the circle X reticle. Addicted to these reticles cause they are so fast to get on the vitals.  Put the circle in the kill zone and touch it off.  It's a fixed 4 power.  Had a 2.5 on it but wwnt to a little more power and that reticle. 
This Winchester is my first deer rifle that my Dad helped me with half when I was 17.  It's also the first year of angle eject so can mount a scope.  And my eyes need one these days.  
I gotta look into a circle x reticle....sounds nice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spent 4 hrs on lease today out walking and figuring for this season.  Gonna move a couple of stands next weekend with my hunting buddy.  Was nice to be outside.  Can sure tell I haven't done this in a while I am whipped.  Looking to get all stands set in April so doesn't interfere with fishing and turkey time.  

Got a friend of mine looking at a new house with 48 acres too.  If he gets it might have a new spot this year as well.  Enjoy working on the setups and new ground is always fun.  

IMG_20190324_112102685.jpg

IMG_20190324_112037269.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking good for that new dirt to hunt.  And its 76 acres and not 48 !    So gonna have to scout and cam new hunting spot and planning on putting in 2 stands. Hoping this works out and he closes on the property.  He only wants to allow bow/crossbow hunting there which is fine by me for sure, thats usually when i do my best work.  And 3 out of 4 places i will hunt are for bow or muzzleloader only.  

Boat launch fee is paid for the year as of today.  New boat launch spot which is about 250 yards from the house and they give you access to another one 2 miles down the road that is closer to where i usually fish. And fishing buddy Corey now has weekends off and has already called shotgun every weekend on the ARC ! 

And of course I still have a list of to do's on regular hunting spots.  Work to do ..but good work! This weekend has to be last big push of get er done stuff around the house cause starting next week the Turks and the Eyes are going to be getting some quality time. 

• Like 2

I also have a Hunting Journal here on this site and a New Notebook for each Year as well.  I Printed  now in the Notebooks so it will be easier to read by a Family Member 50 years from now. 
Fantastic addition to Rob's journal ! Thanks for sharing !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

3rd turkey Hunt - Sunday 5/5 tried lease in Stota.  Didnt see anything but a hen that a coyote/hawk ate.  Took down a stand for deer season we wont need anymore.  

4th Turkey Hunt in Augusta - Thursday 9th - saw one at 100 yards in woods on the move - think it was scared by tractor in field over - big Tom.  Saw 6 deer.  Tried to get on the lake after but got out about 10 minutes and then gave it up too much wind.  Fishing and/or hunting this weekend for sure.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...