Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

10 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

mapped out stands on lease.  One to move this weekend and done til season.  

gotta put new straps on 3 stands in Augusta too and move my one stand in 7J over a couple of trees.   

Stota maps.jpg

Looks like a nice spot. How many acres is that? any  changes in elevation?

lastly, where do you want me to park?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Looks like a nice spot. How many acres is that? any elevation?

lastly, where do you want me to park?

120 acres, zero elevation- flat as a pancake.  And almost zero trees.  All brush and swamp for the most part. If trails werent cut it would almost be unhuntable it so thick at least until late season. 

Park in back of barns by my truck.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

120 acres, zero elevation- flat as a pancake.  And almost zero trees.  All brush and swamp for the most part. If trails werent cut it would almost be unhuntable it so thick at least until late season. 

Park in back of barns by my truck.  

No big rocks/boulders? I can't hunt there

37 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

No big rocks/boulders? I can't hunt there

no rocks - sorry .   We have to use stands on real small trees even if they are only 7-9 ft high so you can see for gun season at all.  Only really one or two spots on trail straightaways that can be gun hunted at all from the ground.  Have a groundblind setup this year though right by parking spot for quick evening hunts with the bow. 

this is a pic of my favorite gun spot (did move stand 40 yards in Jan to face better direction)  -  have to get up a little to see over the swamp or your FOV is about a 12ft circle.  - its brushy !  this pic was in Jan - imagine now with leaves etc. We went over there two weekends ago and couldnt see the stand at all from 25 yards. Cant hunt this stand with bow at all.    

opener 2.0.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

where i put new stand for this season - pics at 25 yards from there.  Last season bucks that went thru and got on cam.  Def gotta spend some time there and by the looks of the times - Midday (am/pm was off obv) .  Pic of stand was taken right where bucks went thru!  Also a nice scrapetree there last season.  Hoping these two boys made it thru.  Saw the big one on opening day of gun but couldnt get a shot.  

sat here once during xbow in the brush last year but def upgrade with the stand this season.  

big buck 2018 stota 2.jpg

a stota buck 2018.jpg

New 17-9 stand.jpg

xbow season 2.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 5

Lease is ready to go! Buddy Corey and I moved stand we wanted to and checked and replaced straps on last stand. Forgot to take pics but put up a tucked in 9 ft stand on the backside of property we have been eyeing.  Came out nice. 

Pulled cam cards on three cams we went by that have only been out a week. One is an old one and had no pics so gotta replace it. Another had 2000 pics cause of a branch. Lol

But one by ground blind that's been out for three days had a nice buck.  And looks hard horned..

We got a lot done , just need season to start.  

(Pic of a pic) 

IMG_20190824_134735449.jpg

I have one stand in 7J and it's ready to go.  Moved it 15 yards for better shots and closer to field.  Also made it a 9ft stand cause it just tucked in better.  It is buried there about perfect. 

Greenfield and a big cornfield 90 yards away. Bow only stand on an East wind only.  

View looking out in field and to cornfield,  then next to stand in woods, then pic from field where I walk in.  Hidden right in that corner. 

Good to go.  One more location in 6S for next weekend then ready, set, go!   

IMG_20190825_114630680_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190825_120111272.jpg

IMG_20190825_120335247.jpg

• Like 3

cam pull since i was going by it to do some work.  Only out 5 days.  Right by groundblind i put in this season.  Might pay off, get busted there a lot in the evenings coming out from hunting.  Gonna be a spot to try on the way home from work a few times before the time change.  Ground blind is 35 yards to the right of these pics looking straight on . 

8pt stota '19.JPG

stota '19 doe .JPG

stota yote '19.JPG

Stota blind.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

Pulled cam cards from 3 cams in 6S and not a single buck.   Not even a spike horn. Def some doe pics so am sure that will change but really  unusual to get no bucks at all.  Esp when cams have been out for a month there...... Also put a new strap on all 3 of my stands there and trimmed a few shooting lanes.  

Went shooting with Corey and his shotgun and .308 are on. I took my shot gun and it was way off, dunno if scope moved or what.  Gonna have to work on that before I take it for sure. 

Then went to two of his stands by his house and checked those out and trimmed some lanes.  

We are officially set for season.  All stands are done and secured and ready for Oct 1.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Pulled cam cards from 3 cams in 6S and not a single buck.   Not even a spike horn. Def some doe pics so am sure that will change but really  unusual to get no bucks at all.  Esp when cams have been out for a month there...... Also put a new strap on all 3 of my stands there and trimmed a few shooting lanes.  
Went shooting with Corey and his shotgun and .308 are on. I took my shot gun and it was way off, dunno if scope moved or what.  Gonna have to work on that before I take it for sure. 
Then went to two of his stands by his house and checked those out and trimmed some lanes.  
We are officially set for season.  All stands are done and secured and ready for Oct 1.  

Atta boy....makes for a long wait now that you got nothing left to do but wait!!! Your Hard work will be rewarded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got out to shoot the crossbow today.  Glad I did it was off for sure.  Was shooting low and left. Dead on now after some tweaking. 

Last time I used it was when I shot my best buck ever and then dragged it out in the dark and snow for a mile.  Certainly could have bumped it.  

But good to go now.  Shots at 30 and 40

IMG_20190922_102514351.jpg

IMG_20190922_103538205.jpg

IMG_20190922_104225648.jpg

• Like 3

from weekend cam pull at lease - a couple of blurry buck pics, a bunch of does and a bird that is on pretty much every cam again and is plotting my demise.  lol . 

Def no big uns like lots of guys have on cam this year but hopefully does bring them in but would take this high tined fella that is prob a 6.  This busy doe spot is where i start my season - new stand i put up this year cause i saw a lot of deer over here last year from 100 yards away and had cam picks of some big ones in 2018.  

blurry buck 3.JPG

blurry buck.JPG

Does swamp stand.JPG

scary bird 2.JPG

• Like 2

Hunt #3 swamp stand. Saw nothing all afternoon.  Out of legal light got out of stand and walked to trail.  Look towards the opener stand up trail and a huge body in the trail head down walking towards me.  I duck into the brush, deer comes to within 10 yards of me and ducks into the brush. Huge body couldn't believe it was a deer at first.  Not sure on head gear but it was heavy.  Monster buck. Wow. 

10 minutes sooner he would've walked right into a lane from my stand at 30 yards and into an arrow. Close. 

• Like 1

Hunt #5 on spot in 7J. Never got to hunt it last year as it was an active cow pasture. But have never sat here and not seen deer at least. Saw 3 doe all out of range, 2 turkeys and a beautiful gray fox.  Always see deer here but most often out of range. Did tag a nice doe here on the very first time I hunted it in '17.  But don't hunt here often as it the farthest drive for me and can only hunt it on an East wind and afternoon.  

IMG_20191005_151618982_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191005_175048201_BURST001.jpg