Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

Hunt #41- lease 7F.  Didn't see a thing. But saw two sets of within the hour tracks I would guess.  Went out to corner stand and sat for an hour and a half. Freezing cold.  Got too sweaty going in didn't help. So got down and collected 3 of my nearby cams, and opened up the path to my opening day stand for gun a little. It hasn't been bow hunted and saved for gun season.

Went back out to ground blind and sat til dark and saw nothing. 

But got feeling tomorrow is a winner. 

• Like 2

Hunt #42. At 7F lease light -9:45. Saw nothing

Hunt #43 6S  big buck stand - 12- dark saw nothing. 

What a tough bow season.  If don't tag on last day will be the first time in a long time without using an archery tag.  

What a difference a year makes. Best stand in 6S last year 3 sits and 3 deer. This year did 6 sits there and saw one doe out of range. 

Last hurrah tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Hunt #44- 6S. Mosh pit. Prob the most exciting day I've had this season.  Walk in and get about 3/4 of the way across field and on the far end a doe pops out.  I have nowhere to go so I just kneel down. She isn't looking my way at all and heads the other way on a trot. I look up and here comes a big buck.  He is coming from the road I just walked down to get here. He is grunting and chasing after her. 

All over the field on the way in was his tracks.  He was all over that field before daylight. Again this season timing.  If he was an hour later he walked by my stand 3 times. 

Get in stand hoping she leads him back thru. At 8 a lone small doe comes trotting thru and I totally expected a buck right behind her. She goes into thick stuff about 60 yards away and I never see her come out. So figured she bedding in there. Didn't see anything else after another 3.5 hours so I start to get down and see her stand up and stretch.  Figure WTH I'll make a play on her. She had moved a little so wasn't exactly sure where she was. I found out, she jumped up and bolted at 25 yards. Lol

On the way home big buck in field 80 yards from road at noon. First of any chasing I have seen was today.  

Got one last bow try this pm at lease for last 2 hours of light. 

• Like 1

Hunt #45 lease 7F 2-dark. Roadkill stand.  Thought this was a late inning save.  2 does come out in trail right before dark and cut across field .  They are headed for snow spot that is 35 yards.  Doe comes thru fence right there and I bleat at her 3 times to get her to stop.  Shoot and off she goes into the brush.  Waited for a while and then got down and found hair. 

Went back to truck warmed up and called my buddy Corey.  Him and I started looking. Only found some dark hair and not a drop of blood or piece of meat..  there is snow so should easily see blood. Gridded thru thick brush and woods and nothing. Called it after 2 hours of not a sign.  Will check again in the daylight as well of course. 

Thought it was gonna be a good ending to bow season Tonite.  But looks like a graze or a pinned shoulder.  Could not find bolt . Nothing but high grass and swamp there. 

First time in many many years not to fill a bow tag.  The xbow which has been so good to me, I have had nothing but bad luck with this season.  Dunno. I do know it's the Indian and not the arrow. 

Will look again tomorrow and look forward to a better gun season.

• Like 1

Hunt #46. Calling it all one day cause was in the woods all but an 1.5 hr. Opening day of gun didn't see or hear a deer all day . Same for my buddy Corey. 

Sleeping in tomorrow cause it's supposed to be 4 degrees overnight. So gonna do a 10:30- dark tomorrow. 

Sat in opener stand am and on beach side trail in pm. 7F lease.  Heard only 2 shots within a mile and not many other shots around. 

22 hours ago, Fletch said:

Have you shot a deer with the polymer tips yet! You shooting the lever evolution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have shot a doe with them.  Seemed to work fine. That was at 40 yards though. Lol. She went about 40 yards and piled up .

Yup use the hornadys.  Gun seems to like them. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Hunt #1048 - all but an hour in the woods of daylight.  Sat at opener in the am til 10:15. Saw nothing. Noticed one of the screws on my scope mount was not tight . Switched to 06-  11:30 - went back in and as usual right by where we park a tail and a big body off into woods.  Sat at a nearby stand for an hour.  Then went way to other end of lease in point stand. Lots of sign but no deer. Decided I would walk out early and slow as the snow is gone and it was nice and quiet. As usual deer by the parking area as I walk out. Doe. In laneway facing me.  Take a shot it had to be about 90 yards. Think I got sapling. She def wasn't hit looked around to see what happen and trotted into brush.  I of course check area and nothing. Will cai saplings tomorrow.  Tough tough season. Bit of a tough shot off hand at 90 but done it before. 

21 hours ago, Fletch said:

Have you shot a deer with the polymer tips yet! You shooting the lever evolution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot a doe Saturday with them. 150 yard shot first deer I got with the 30-30, destroyed both shoulders couldn't get much meat off them. I was very suprised since I usually use 06 or 308 and not a big problem 

• Like 2

Hunt #49. 6S big buck stand. Light -10:15.  Had a doe come in from cowfield behind me 2 minutes after I sat down.  She walked right under stand and jumped a little from my pack. Let her walk out 6 yards in field put cross hairs on her and ....click...wtf.... So cycle a shell and she takes off. Tried to stop her with a bleat. She slowed down at 100 but no shot in brush. 

Found shell below me and it was dented....stopped at range on way home and shot two all was fine. Bad shell misfire. Grrrrr.....this is like the sum of my season this year. 

Hunt #50 7F lease 12:30-dark pine tree stand. Nothing. 

IMG_20191121_104809651.jpg

Weird note this year... On lease haven't seen nor heard the neighbors out hunting once this season. Not even opening day. Strange. 

Have a feeling it's coming to the muzzleloader this year.  Sitting in my spot in 6S over a cold cornfield.  Hoping at this point it at least happens then. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish