Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How many outings this year? I feel like you fish everyday lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wish that was the case. This year the weather has been really good so I have gotten out a lot.  Hasn't hardly rained in a month.  So every weekend I go out usually 5am-9 or so and then still have the full day for the most part. I have taken 5 days off thru May and June and fished all of those mornings too. 

It helps that I live 200 yards from the lake and can be on the water in like 10 minutes. So usually fish, fish cleaned and back at home by 10 am for a cold one.

I actually cancelled 3 days off because of work or bad weather but still have had so many good weather days to fish.  I try to get out as much as possible May, June, July when the bite is the best. August comes and I am usually stumped out there and then hunting season and prep looms. Fishing gets really good again in late Sept and October.  Then I try to fish off the pier when the conditions are right before hunting early in the morn. Which I can walk to from the house. Hit it right and can get a real quick limit there.  Personal best is 16 minutes. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sbuff said:

What do you contribute the boom in walleye to ,my cousin fished it last week and said the same thing the lake has never been so good .

I and some others think the zebra mussels. They seem to have cleared the lake up and also provided more of a food source for small minnows and then along the food chain to the walleye.  In the fall it seems like you can walk across the minnows in the canal at times there are so many.  Cornell and the DEC say there are a million walleye in the lake and aren't even stocking any fry this year.  I think the combo of 3 fish limits of 15" , DEC stocking, zebra mussels all have made it such a good run. Last year was great too but this has been the best I've seen and I've lived here all my life. 

That being said if your a bass fisherman I don't think it's as good as it was even 3-4 years ago.  When we bass fish we have caught a lot less and lots of guys I know that bass fish say they catch as many walleye when they are bass fishing as bass. 

There are now gobies in the lake too and that might contribute but I have yet to see a goby in a walleye or see one spit one up. 

Whatever it is the lake is amazing right now. So many guys coming in with limits.  

Dec just sent out a survey asking what people think of changing the limit back to 5.  I actually hope they don't cause it is so good right now that whatever they have done sure worked so don't change a thing.  And it seems most locals agree.

And I can't figure what other lake in NY (other than Erie) can support that 5 walleye limit.  The whole state should be 3 IMHO. 

Boat limit by 8 am. Had to wait for fog to lift so we fished by shore for a few minutes and caught some pickerel.  Breeze came up and cleared fog so away we went.  Got to first spot and they were hitting everything.  We threw back a bunch as well. Buddy's son got the biggest one of the day. Corey threw out a sonar while we were slow trolling just messing around and got one second cast.  Can't get over the bite out there right now.  Next week is supposed to be 94-95 all week. That's prob gonna bust the bite but this lake has never been better! We often had 2-3 poles going at once. Whoever had a fish had to clear that net quick for the next one. 21-25 FOW. 

IMG_20200704_091046266.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Day off ended up being a half day off but I will take it.  Limit in 20 minutes. Could've been quicker. , PB is 16 minutes from shore. 

Got out a little late waited for fog to lift a bit and helped a guy out at launch who's motor wouldn't start, a fellow tracker owner and it was his kill switch.  

Got to spot to slow troll worm harnesses and dropped two line to the bottom started the troll motor and before I could set a direction had a double. Got one and lost one. Reset and got the other two and lost a couple. 

After all the 90+ weather I was hesitant to start in the spot I've been getting them. Was thinking they should be deeper. They were def in there graph was loaded. Had a couple of doubles on. Took me longer to setup than catch them.  Also my best one of the year and had another on at the same time that was a good one two but he came off.. All in 21 FOW and the same spot I have caught them all year. 

Sat going out with a buddy to help him out as he got a new boat and wants to give it a go. My goal is to catch the first fish in his new boat for him. Lol 

IMG_20200715_084844848.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish

How big is your freezer? How often do you eat walleye? Or does the season end in the fall and you space out the meals throughout the winter?

He tried to tell me once that he shares it and so his hail is really not that much....hard to imagine!!! Dude slams walleye!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

He tried to tell me once that he shares it and so his hail is really not that much....hard to imagine!!! Dude slams walleye!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the amount he catches and likely eats I'm surprised he hasn't turned into a walleye yet

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How big is your freezer? How often do you eat walleye? Or does the season end in the fall and you space out the meals throughout the winter?

i usually put away 12 bags for one meal per month through the year.  On weekends the guy i fish with we usually split the two days - he will take them Sat or Sun - I always tell him to pick his day before we fish and to choose wisely. - so if we get out about 20-25 times a year that fills his and my freezer for what we want.  On July 4th weekend he took a big bag for a fellow active duty guy that was telling him how his Dad is bad shape and he wish he could get him out walleye fishing again.   So he took him a big bag of fillets so at least they had some to eat even if he cant get out and fish.  I usually make a big fish fry for the GFs family, give some to my mom, my buddy wifes family will come out and he does a fish fry for them... etc. It all get used.  The walleye take in amount is nothing compared to even one deer really.   And usually once August hits I am about done and switch to deer prep.  Maybe get a few off shore in the fall when they start stacking there - when wind is right i just walk down the road and can sometimes get a quick limit right off shore(PB 16 minutes).  This year is also exceptional as Oneida is just on fire and loaded with walleyes. Best its ever been. And the guy i fish with used to only have every other weekend off but his new schedule has him off every weekend, and his son is now into fishing so we go even more.  This year the weather has also been amazing and we have had one weekend all season that was a rainout and only one day to get blown off the lake. Just a great year. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i usually put away 12 bags for one meal per month through the year.  On weekends the guy i fish with we usually split the two days - he will take them Sat or Sun - I always tell him to pick his day before we fish and to choose wisely. - so if we get out about 20-25 times a year that fills his and my freezer for what we want.  On July 4th weekend he took a big bag for a fellow active duty guy that was telling him how his Dad is bad shape and he wish he could get him out walleye fishing again.   So he took him a big bag of fillets so at least they had some to eat even if he cant get out and fish.  I usually make a big fish fry for the GFs family, give some to my mom, my buddy wifes family will come out and he does a fish fry for them... etc. It all get used.  The walleye take in amount is nothing compared to even one deer really.   And usually once August hits I am about done and switch to deer prep.  Maybe get a few off shore in the fall when they start stacking there - when wind is right i just walk down the road and can sometimes get a quick limit right off shore(PB 16 minutes).  This year is also exceptional as Oneida is just on fire and loaded with walleyes. Best its ever been. And the guy i fish with used to only have every other weekend off but his new schedule has him off every weekend, and his son is now into fishing so we go even more.  This year the weather has also been amazing and we have had one weekend all season that was a rainout and only one day to get blown off the lake. Just a great year. 

awesome. sounds like a good method you got.

GTG on Oneida with Tacks and Corey. Early strong bite in 21-25 FOW with good sized eyes faded out fast when the light breeze died and the lake got flat .  Marking a lot of fish still but just not on the bite. Got 4 on first pass with one short and lost a few. Then had to work to get 2 more keepers. Good day out fishing with some good guys. 

IMG_20200718_114056563.jpg

IMG_20200718_104643315.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

Buddy Corey got a new to him tracker. 17 ft with a 60 hp. Nice rig , bass boat style. Out for the first time with it today. My goal was to be the first to catch a fish in his new boat but he pulled out a perch and the first one on the deck! Lol.   

Got a couple keepers we both lost a couple of nice ones and got a bunch of shorts. Was getting hot quick so time to come in.  Bite is getting tougher but fish were still there and on the graph. Water temp is reading 77 degrees.  We should've had 2-3 more in the boat but it just didn't happen.  Had a real nice one cut my worm harness leader and come off. 

Good day out on his new rig. 

IMG_20200719_072220029.jpg

IMG_20200719_101435271.jpg

• Like 1

Buddy Corey got a new to him tracker. 17 ft with a 60 hp. Nice rig , bass boat style. Out for the first time with it today. My goal was to be the first to catch a fish in his new boat but he pulled out a perch and the first one on the deck! Lol.   
Got a couple keepers we both lost a couple of nice ones and got a bunch of shorts. Was getting hot quick so time to come in.  Bite is getting tougher but fish were still there and on the graph. Water temp is reading 77 degrees.  We should've had 2-3 more in the boat but it just didn't happen.  Had a real nice one cut my worm harness leader and come off. 
Good day out on his new rig. 
IMG_20200719_072220029.thumb.jpg.97099b815851eb67885ac47026075c95.jpg
IMG_20200719_101435271.thumb.jpg.1480d5d0815042cb7f2504040ba53c4a.jpg
Time to start covering ground !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Time to start covering ground !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

yup, gonna have to look for biters.  Its been a funny year we have just killed them in the same spot all year no matter the weather or conditions.  Def fish still there we both had a good one on but they are more tight lipped.  Might have to run our regular rods and maybe a planer on each side too.  But we also got out late and it was just getting hot quick.  Hoping some cooldowns happen soon and can start working on some tree stands! 

• Like 1

It was a grind but got a boat limit.  No real rhyme or reason to it. Started out 21ft -27ft.  Picked up a couple lost a couple. Very spotty hits.  Then moved and hit a double out in 34 ft . Went back and forth in that spot and finished the limit with a couple of doubles.  Lots of guys fishing the general area there but we got on a small school and just stayed on them with boats all around us   we just hit it right .All the fish in that spot were like 15-16 inch carbon copies.  Took a while but a good day. Lost a couple Corey got a big lake sucker too, haven't seen one of those out there. 

IMG_20200725_113433175.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Boat limit on Corey's boat today.  Got a couple out near buoy line in 29-34 fow but the bites were scattered. Slowly worked our way back to where we've been getting them all year.  Graph came alive and so did the bite.  Limited out in just a few minutes after.  24 fow.  Nothing huge but a steady limit.  

Hopefully next weekend is a deer prep and work weekend on the lease.  And other spots getting cams up and stands ready. Hoping it is cooler. Staying off the lake cause of a Trump flotilla rally on the lake that is prob gonna be a mess. So good time to get some prep done hopefully. 

IMG_20200726_095023652.jpg

• Like 2

Good day on the water with Otto and Fishdo and son. Got a few, bite was a little tough.  Spotty hits with no real pattern, but hit a quick couple before we left in 24.  Def fish on the graph.  Last fish in the boat put a hook in my finger.  It could've turned out like video but calmer heads prevailed and a little self surgery and first aid and assist by first responder Otto and all was good.  

IMG_20200801_112142741.jpg

• Like 1