Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

Bow pack is ready!!!

Too hot and humid for me so inside projects it is.  Almost washed and hung hunting clothes but gonna wait til Sept 1 for that and hang them in my little hunting shed.  

Deer cleaning gloves, wipes, hunting gloves, warm hat, 2 face covers, face paint if too warm, range finder, mini binos, 2 knives, zip ties, deer harness drag, flashlight, hat light, compass, orange tape, grunt call, hot hands, bow rope, sharpie, and a seat for treestand.  

Season is coming!! 

IMG_20200802_122345817.jpg

• Like 1

Pre - Hunting to do list

- change out 2nd and 3rd straps on all stands 

- shoot hunting rifles 

- bow shoot and in tune

- ground blind up by pond 7F

-trim shooting lanes in 6S and 7F 

- mark areas to cut in 7F 

- trailcams up in 6S and rest up in 7F 

- wash hunting clothes and hang in hunting shed

-trade out big buck stand for new stand 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Pre - Hunting to do list

- change out 2nd and 3rd straps on all stands 

- shoot hunting rifles 

- bow shoot and in tune

- ground blind up by pond 7F

-trim shooting lanes in 6S and 7F 

- mark areas to cut in 7F 

- trailcams up in 6S and rest up in 7F 

- wash hunting clothes and hang in hunting shed

-trade out big buck stand for new stand 

No fishing?

Did a little work on lease.  Got rest of cams up and did some looking around. Heard yotes barking close waited a minute and out one came into the trail about 80-90 yards.  Couldn't snap a pic quick enough.  It went into woods and two of them were yipping for a bit in the neighbors property. 

Pull cards on the three cams I put up a week earlier and have a lot of doe pics and one nice 7 point. 

Marked off some spots to cut.  Skeeters were really bad even when we sprayed down. So gonna wait til see cooler weather and try to knock it all out in a day. But it was good to be out there. 

Corey got a cool close up of a butterfly. Took a couple of pics of the mowed trail on one side. Owner is going out soon to cut again. He has a huge brush hog and tractor and makes short work of it. But he is also very busy and works a ton.  We need to just get a trail mower.  Corey was on the hunt for one and it sold in less than 2 hours. 

IMG_20200808_083530898.jpg

IMG_20200808_083526833_HDR.jpg

35245.jpeg

35246.jpeg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

The run might be over.  Lake is turning green and it's looking like my usual August.  Caught 5 eyes today but only one keeper.  Had a double then too but other came off. Also 6 baby perch and a sheepshead.  

Usually August I just can't find em esp when the lake starts getting green and today was the first of this I have really seen this year. 

Fishing will be tough now til Fall.  But that's ok cause I really need to get deer hunting prep done. Another week of 90s isn't helping though. 

Man it felt good to be in a treestand again. I just sat in each of them for like 10 minutes just cause. 

Got all my stands in 6S set.  Shooting lanes cut, new straps on my 3 stands there. Also put up 3 trail cams to soak til labor day weekend.  

Had to replace a bottom rung on one of my stand. Apparently there was dirt in the bottom and it held the water in and split the legs on the bottom. I saw it in muzzle last year so I was prepared. It worked out I have another stand like it that is in a spot that is only a 9ft so had the bottom ladder and just traded them out. 

My favorite stand there has soybeans in the field this year. I like corn better as it's easier to sneak into it.  But might be better early season this year.  

Probably work on 7F lease tomorrow. Felt great to be out doing this today.  

IMG_20200815_080831867.jpg

IMG_20200815_081750795.jpg

IMG_20200815_084423589.jpg

IMG_20200815_092134467_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200815_113904849_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Did some work on the 7F lease today. I put up a new ground blind and Corey did the work clearing shooting lanes for the treestands.  Due to a medical issue with my leg I have to take it a bit easy.  So he is taking on the brunt of the prep this year.  

But ground blind turned out well and excited to get out in a few weeks.  It's right next to a pond so hell I could hunt and fish at the same time.  Lol

Hard to tell from these pics but this blind is tall enough that I can stand up easily to shoot inside. 

Pulled cam cards and will post when I get to computer.  But checked them on hand held and have lots of doe pics, a bachelor group of three small bucks and a couple of nice 8 points.  Looking good! 

Gonna pull cams from my 6S spot tomorrow.  Getting excited for season. 

IMG_20200905_100459687.jpg

IMG_20200905_100419513.jpg

IMG_20200905_095030595_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200905_095019805_HDR.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

We did last three stands on the lease in 7F today.  Ready to go !  All 9 are done in 7F , 3 in 6S and one in 7J.  Pulled cards in 6S and not much going on there, but that is usual til season starts. One cam I couldn't get to cause neighbor was blocking the trail with his truck working on his fence.  C'mon season. 

Tomorrow Corey and I are going to range to be sure guns are sighted in.  Then prep is about done except for some bow practice. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I have one stand in 7J so went out and made sure it was good to go.  Trimmed a couple of branches and it's set for season.   Last stand prep for the year. Saw a small fawn on the wood edge walking in. 

IMG_20200913_091937218_HDR.jpg

Looks like a great setup,can imagine the deer walking that tree line.choot choot!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, doebuck1234 said:

Looks like a great setup,can imagine the deer walking that tree line.choot choot!!!

I don't get to hunt here much.  It's a bow only and afternoon place only.  The biggest drawback is that the land is leased out to a farmer and they put a temp fence out there often in the fall for the cows.  And it's 35-40 minutes away. 

But you nailed it.  The first afternoon I hunted it in 2017 I shot a nice big doe there and they walked right along that treeline. 

• Like 1