Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Hunt #3  10/9.   Lease 7F

4:30-dark.  Pine tree stand.  Nothing seen tonight .  Pulled cam card by pond and almost nothing on it at all.  

IMG_20201009_163509825.jpg

IMG_20201009_163503808.jpg

Spot looks like deer should be piling out of the brush. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zag said:

Spot looks like deer should be piling out of the brush. 

This property doesn't have a lot of deer but enough to make it worth while.  A lot of crazy thick swamp and unless they step into a trail there is no chance of seeing them.  But this has been our best bow stand. Buddy missed a nice one here last season.  And the stand is tucked deep in a big pine tree.  I've shot a 5 point here and my buddy has shot an 8.  There are hardly any trees except on the edges of the property lines but this big pine is one of the few in the middle big enough for a full treestand. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

This property doesn't have a lot of deer but enough to make it worth while.  A lot of crazy thick swamp and unless they step into a trail there is no chance of seeing them.  But this has been our best bow stand. Buddy missed a nice one here last season.  And the stand is tucked deep in a big pine tree.  I've shot a 5 point here and my buddy has shot an 8.  There are hardly any trees except on the edges of the property lines but this big pine is one of the few in the middle big enough for a full treestand. 

I love pine trees as stand locations. Always cover around and above you. I always feel kinda all nestled in them and when ever I’m looking for a new stand location pine/hemlocks first tree I look for. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That sounds and looks like a great spot with potential to draw deer to it with a little work. Can you brushhog a spot for a food plot there? Or maybe an area big enough to plant a dozen apple trees?  You have the cover to hold the deer, a little food source sure would sweeten it up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zag said:

I love pine trees as stand locations. Always cover around and above you. I always feel kinda all nestled in them and when ever I’m looking for a new stand location pine/hemlocks first tree I look for. 

When I do hunt from a stand, I prefer a big ol' pine or hemlock tree. That being said, my newest stand is in an oak!...lol There was no pine or hemlock close enough, to where it had to be.

Great looking spot Rob!!

• Like 3

Pine trees have played a big role in several of the more memorable bucks that I have killed over the years.  There are not many around the areas I hunt in WNY.  There is a small clump in the mostly oak hardwoods across the road, where I had permission to hunt for many years.  I had a hang-on stand in one of the larger ones, about 12 feet up.  I could see a long way in all directions from that stand on opening day afternoon back in 2012.   After a couple hours up that tree, all I saw were squirrels, and another hunter still-hunting across the back of the woods.   5 minutes before sunset (I always keep track of the time and unload my gun at the last legal minute), I dropped the book I had been reading.    Since my venison supply was already sufficient, thanks to two good-sized button bucks hanging in our garage (one mine and one given to me by a neighbor) , I decided to skip those last 5 minutes, and pack it in early.

I was not so concerned with safety back then, so I had no safety harness on and I did not unload my gun before climbing down.    Somehow, I managed to get safely down, despite those two safety violations.  The second one proved fortunate, because the instant I got to the ground, a flock of turkeys landed right in that clump of pines.   I froze right there, because I frequently see deer with turkeys in those woods.  Sure enough, the big rack, head and neck of a mature (3.5 year old) buck appeared from behind the trunk of a big pine, just 10 yards away.   

With two minutes to go, I raised my grandad's old Ithaca model 37 and dropped that bruiser right there, with a 16 ga Remington slugger, to the base of the neck.  Had that book not fell when it did, those turkeys would have spotted my blaze orange camo from a mile away, and that buck's story would have ended different than a short trip to deer heaven (my family's food supply).   I had also sent a small 1.5 year old 5-point there with my bow from up that pine a few years prior.    The land owner was not overly thrilled with me taking the big one with my gun and I lost permission to hunt that spot thereafter.    

4 years ago, I used my crossbow to kill what may be my largest-bodied buck (another 3.5 year old with a 43 in chest girth) from the top deck of a two-story blind.   It is in the middle of the only patch of pine trees in the woods over at my folk's place.  

I killed my first and largest Adirondack buck (from up on a ridge 300 yards away), as he stood at the base of a big pine tree along a creek bank.  My first two shots missed that one.  The first well-rested, standing shot must have struck a branch, and the second was rushed offhand while he was moving.   The sound of that one stopped his walk, just as I reached a nice pine tree up on the ridge to rest my gun on for the third, instantly-fatal shot.  Recovering that carcass would have taken a lot longer without that other pine, down on the creek bank. I was able to use it as a marker to find him, after a very long difficult hike to get to the spot.  

My last Adirondack buck was also standing under some big pines, on a trail overlooking a doe-infested valley, when the top of his heart was neatly sliced, and his neck broken from another 150 gr bullet from my 30/06.   I took that shot from 50 yards away, while seated in my tree-hammock chair, attached to the base of another pine tree.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, genesee_mohican said:

That sounds and looks like a great spot with potential to draw deer to it with a little work. Can you brushhog a spot for a food plot there? Or maybe an area big enough to plant a dozen apple trees?  You have the cover to hold the deer, a little food source sure would sweeten it up.

We sooooooooo wish we could.  It's designated wetlands and the owner signed an agreement.  He can basically just cut the existing ntrails only. And gets a big tax break.  If we could open it up more it would so much better

Hunt #4 6S Mosh pit stand.

Dark -10am. Didn't see a single deer.  Windy.  Pulled 2 cam cards, lots of does and one basket 8 point.  

No afternoon hunt too warm and it's supposed to storm.  Tomorrow looks great.  Cool down after a storm. Looking forward to it

IMG_20201010_072720589.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish

10/11 7F Scrapetree stand dark to 10am.  Didn't see a thing . Corey saw three going in on other side of property.  Pulled cam cards and getting a ton of pics now esp on that other side and a couple nice bucks.  

Best part of day was a deer in front of cam and Corey 4 minutes behind it.  Lol.   He had to go back around whole end of property to not spook the deer he saw by trail to way in.  

First scrape too.  

IMG_20201011_070641438.jpg

IMG_20201011_121940107.jpg

IMG_20201011_121535087.jpg

IMG_20201011_122629711.jpg

IMG_20201011_123049898.jpg

IMG_20201011_121725265.jpg

IMG_20201011_125224118.jpg

38157.jpeg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Hunt #6.  7F lease scrapetree stand. 4-dark.  10/11

Had a button buck and a tiny doe right under my stand for a while. Was hoping there was a larger deer with them. I am not a hunter that needs a big buck but this one was def too small.  He peaked his head out of the brush and had two little nubs on his head.  Thought for sure a larger deer would be with them but nothing.  Still entertaining.  He walked completely around me and was within 10 ft of my ladder.  

IMG_20201011_172940924.jpg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, chrisw said:

That my friends is 100% a grey fox! They're very cat like in appearance. Fishers have a wider/broader head and more full/muscular bodies with short ears.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

ive seen a few fishers over there.  Even had one about 15 yards away a couple of times as they are curious.  But i thought this was a grey fox too but wasnt sure.  thanks 

• Like 1