Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

Hunt #18. 2-5:40? 10/31. 6S big buck stand.  

Buck down!  6 point and good sized body and neck is huge. Buck came out from edge of cowfield about 40 yards to my right.  I see it walking thru the woods and knew it was a buck.  He was out of range and heading along to treeline the opposite way without a chance at a shot. Grabbed the grunt call and it stopped him in his tracks. 

He came back towards me then out into the beanfield and was sniffing the ground hard.  I almost passed on the shot as I thought it was a 4 point but he stood there broadside and I even had time to range him at 37.5 yards.  And he just stayed there broadside a little too long and decided I wasn't going to eat my buck tag this year. 

So sent it and he dropped right in his tracks. Spined him.  So I grabbed another arrow and wanted to finish him. So just as I sent that he tried to get back up and that's the slice in the leg in pic and arrow went into the dirt and beans. So I sent another and this is what you see sticking out by the shoulder. All this was in just a matter of like 2 minutes and knew he was done. 

Sat there for a little bit with all the Xmas looking lights in the field cause I had lighted knocks and now 2 red and one green are all out there. Lol. So got down and went to fetch the gator to get him out. Cause the coyotes started yipping just a few hundred yards away.

Not a monster buck but very happy to fill the buck tag and the freezer.  Bad pics but as most of you know night extraction is a blast. Try to get a couple better in the morn before butchering. 

IMG_20201031_191946215.jpg

IMG_20201031_191913750.jpg

IMG_20201031_143655229.jpg

IMG_20201031_162422273.jpg

IMG_20201031_162442321.jpg

• Like 11

Congratulations Rob. Well deserved after the year you had last year. Your Xmas lights comment had me laughing in the stand. You for sure would have taking a good ribbing at my club for putting out your Xmas lights too early!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Congratulations Rob. Well deserved after the year you had last year. Your Xmas lights comment had me laughing in the stand. You for sure would have taking a good ribbing at my club for putting out your Xmas lights too early!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was laughing too. It looked so silly. Wrong damn holiday but a great sight in the dark. Lol

1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

Congrats Rob! Made my day! Tough season last year, but you're making up for it this year! Nice buck and doe for the freezer already! 

Thanks. Yeah last season 61 hunts and never filled a tag.  Passed a couple small bucks def a good season this year. This year 18 hunts and 2 down and should've been 3. 

Hope yours is better too. You sure grinded it like me last year

On 10/31/2020 at 7:44 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Do you have the buck you killed on cam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

you know Biz , i think I do.  Pulled card near the stand i was in on the way in that afternoon and just went thru cards and I think this is him just after midnight that day. kinda cool.  Looks like he is chasing some does.  and a couple days earlier too. 

augusta 2020 buck bow buck.JPG

Augusta 2020 buck i shot ...JPG

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Main beams almost touching!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah he's a beast. If he's symetrical should be a 10. Haven't gotten him on camera before.  Have a stand 31 yards from this cam. 

@FISHDO is drooling over this one and has the lease to himself mostly now til gun. I might go out on fringes and see if I can fill a doe tag but the rest is his. Although I told him maybe I will start duck hunting everyday there now.  Lol. Several good bucks on cam and hope he downs one. He's off all week. 

Gun season I will be looking for one of them again. 

• Like 2

Tried a little shore fishing at 4am. 10 casts and I was out. Too cold, no hits and no fish chasing minnows.  Wind was in wrong direction but worth a shot. Could still get some I am sure if I was there and hour plus. But when it's cold like this I just try to hit them when they are stacked for a quick limit. 

Seems so weird to be off and not hunting this morn. Gonna go pull a cam in Augusta and take the bow this afternoon. Cam has been there since Sept and never hunted the stand near there. Still have a doe tag I could use so we will see. Plus it's gonna be beautiful out and I have a day off! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, land 1 said:

from what ive been finding the bait fish are not stacking up like normal and there hasn't been any real hot bites just pick one here and there, not like last yr with getting limits in ten minutes

This was the first trip over and there was hardly anyone fishing.  I have heard of a few quick limits on Oneida Diehard site,  but they def weren't packed in there today. Yesterday was prob the day after that hard west wind. Good luck, hope your getting some.