Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

Hunt #20 light -9:20.  7F wayback stand. 

Haven't hunted this stand yet. Didn't see anything. 

Buddy was 500 yards away this morn and didn't see anything he pulled card from cam over there and last night this big boy was right there in daylight at 4:40 pm right by our scrape dripper. Looks like a nice 9. Damn he should've been there last night. Close. Would've been a shot for sure right there . 

40351.jpeg

40350.jpeg

IMG_20201105_064401833.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 4

Got the buck back from processer. Took this one in, cut up the doe on my own.  Marsh mill in Bridgeport does a great job. 

So mixed up

12 #s of smoked sausage. Used Amish smoked sausage spices, added in a few shots of liquid smoke and 1/2 an Octoberfest. 

12#s of cracked pepper and jalapeno sausage. Used Amish cracked pepper sausage seasoning, a bunch of diced jalepenos and 1/2 a bottle of green Tabasco. 

Those will sit til tomorrow . Then fry a couple small pieces to taste and then case them. 

Also made 10 #s of bacon burgers. 

Freezer should be in good shape. 

IMG_20201105_141050281.jpg

IMG_20201105_133009807.jpg

• Like 5

Hunt #22- 11/8 dark -9:30.  7F. Wayback stand. Beautiful morn, walked in a light fog, very still.  Only had a partridge walk under the stand. No deer. Corey was 350 yards away in scrapetree and also saw nothing . Got home to check trap and I have a skunk though.  Lol. Had to reset trap Charlie almost got sprayed again a couple of days ago. 

Beautiful partridge right under stand by forked branch in pic 

IMG_20201108_070514891.jpg

IMG_20201108_080919132.jpg

• Like 1

Hunt #23 11/12.   7:45-11:45. Lewis county over the Dack line. 

Did not get a deer but had a great day of hunting.  Decided to go north with the rifle where my regular season buck tag is good. Haven't been up to this area maybe twice in last 30 years. But I used to hunt and fish up there as a teen with my Dad. He had a camp up there that we spent a lot of time at. So it was a hunt down memory lane

Even though I haven't been there in a long time I was able to find my way without Google maps. Lol.  And the area I was hunting is called "Confusion Flats" so that's saying something.

Not expecting to see a thing as this was and still is a low density deer area, but hoping to bump into a buck or possibly a bear.  

Took a trail up along a trout stream that runs along a series of ridgelines.   A lot of pines in this area but I remember this area and ridge had a lot of beech trees . 

Perfect wind and wet leaves so def a day to still hunt. Which I haven't still hunted the big woods in years. I am guessing I did about 3.5 miles round trip.  

Walked in about 1/2 mile form the truck and I hear grunting.  Look in the woods and there is a deer about 75 yards away.  Get the scope on it and def a buck. But it was a very thin racked spike/possible 3 pointer, good size body. He continues to walk and grunt like a pig.  I am leaned against a tree and he comes to within 50 yards and never sees me.  Then takes a saddle down into the gully towards the stream. 

Had the 30/30 crosshairs on him and sure was tempted.   If he was only just a little bit bigger.  But sure thought about it as taking any Dacks buck is a trophy! He walked slowly away scenting the ground but not like he was on mission.  

I stayed there a few minutes in case others were in tow or if a hot doe had been thru. But nothing.  Still hunted my way in for a while and then made my way back to the truck.  Saw this area where a log was really recently tore up and chipped all over.  Dunno if bear or a big woodpecker but something was after it big time. 

Forgot how much I like hunting like that. Just very rare to see a deer up there at all.  Good day though for sure. 

IMG_20201112_082109047_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201112_110750339_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20201112_111234807_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201112_091920946.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

Sounds like a good time!! I used to hunt up near Paul Smiths since I was 12 years old every opening weekend until I was into my college age at Potsdam. I shot one buck in all those times lol. A spike.

I was not a great hunter back then, not that I am now, but yea the herd was real thin for sure. It would be a great weekend to see 1 deer! I keep telling myself I need to get off my tree stand sitting azz and get back up there. If just for the memories.

• Like 1

So successful retrieval last night for my buddy @FISHDO.  

Got a call to help retrieve at like 4:30 as he stuck one with the xbow.  So off I go. 

Got there and got deer cart . Headed across field to meet up and it's starting to get dark. Two does bust out in field. 

We meet up and he's got a start to a good blood trail and a pass thru bolt.  

We head in with flashlights and after a back and forth blood trail, blood starts getting real spotty.  

Standing there I tell him I swear I smell a dead deer or it's something in this swamp.  He refinds the blood trail and then 2 minutes later the deer!!!! 

It is sooooooooo thick in there it's just a mess.  But we found it.  Now he guts it and we have to get out. 

Dark and what the hell is the way out.  Lol

Took us a while but thanks goodness for a compass and we make it back to trail.  He was the man dragging thru that thick crap in there in the dark!

So we think this is the button buck I passed a few weeks ago.  And my GF named him cheeseburger. So the evil bastard shot cheeseburger.  Lol kidding I almost shot him too and would have if I didn't already have a deer in freezer. 

Awesome he got a deer.  Button buck he thought was a doe. 35 yards shot from the RSS stand.  He's been working hard to get a deer for sure. It was great to see!  

And there will be cheeseburgers!  Congrats buddy!  

IMG_20201112_183430285.jpg

41288.jpeg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 7

Hunt #24 10/14. Light -9. 7F wayback stand.

Didn't see anything. Just a short hunt this morn. Prob same this afternoon.  Just getting out to be out til gun season mostly.   And honestly nnot hunting stands where bucks are running.  Just looking for a possible doe on the outskirts.  Looking to open up a fresh buck tag on Saturday.

IMG_20201114_065850282.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Hunt #25 10/14. 7F groundblind. 3-dark. 

Just a short sit in the close by groundblind to see if a big doe walks out. So many people shooting all over the area. Either people ramping up for sat or a lot of ducks bit the dust.  

Might be last bow/xbow sit for the season. Ready to break open that new buck tag on Saturday!  

IMG_20201114_160629498_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201114_160623717_HDR.jpg

• Like 2