Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

Hunt #26. 10/19 dark - 9 am. 7F Scrapetree. 

Didnt see anything. Last hunt for the xbow this year.  Went out just because.  Cut some brush in this stand to see down the trail better for gun. Pulled 4 cam cards and still some good action on them. A couple of daylight bucks and a lot of night pics.  And a couple nice ones. Best cam location by this stand the battery died though.  Had a doe on cam on one an hour before I went to get it.

Looking forward to Saturday gun season now. Have had lots of bucks on cam this year here just need one to step out in daylight. IMG_20201119_080844639.thumb.jpg.397f8b6dc6d44a82805137364f712cff.jpg

IMG_20201119_080852755.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Hunt #29- 11/22 dark - 10:45.  7F Scrapetree stand. 

Had a doe come right up trail by birchbtrees to within 60.  She got a pass today. Not tiny but not big either. She came up the way I came in and in my wind and eventually winded me and trotted off. 

Also saw a big fisher cross the trail. Fresh scrape by dripper .

No hunting now til Thanksgiving.

IMG_20201122_085645174.jpg

IMG_20201122_085652014.jpg

Hunt #30 11/26 Thanksgiving morn. 8:30-11:30 7F Scrapetree. 

Didn't see anything. New large rub in one spot.  Pulled cam near there and the 9 point was there night before gun opener.  Doe there 45 minutes before dark on opener and Corey was just a ways away but couldn't see there form point stand.  

Hard rain this morning passed and now nice out .  Something at end of trail 300 yards away when I walked in went running across pretty sure it was a yote.  

IMG_20201126_085409195.jpg

IMG_20201126_085416311.jpg

IMG_20201126_072636377.jpg

Hunt #34. 11/28. 1:45-dark. 7F Littlefield stand

Haven't hunted here all season. But I've officially been in every stand now this year.  Didn't hunt it cause of tagging an early doe then buck on Halloween. It's mostly for bow and xbow. Real tight spot, no shots over 35 yards. Great deer trail that crosses main trail and a huge scrape next to it 12 yards away.  Didn't see anything but was thinking one was gonna be in view any minute. 

IMG_20201128_134111190.jpg

IMG_20201128_134106437.jpg

Hunt #35 11/29.  Light -11:00.  7F . 

Brought a foldout chair and sat near Littlefield where I was last night just off the edge of the trail.  Had a huge fisher run across trail at 30 yards and heard one snap of a branch about 10:15.  No deer seen. 

I have w-sun off next week and will do some hunting but sure haven't seen much of anything in gun. After that will prob be done til muzzleloader. 

Next weekend Corey and I might do a couple of pushes and see if we can get some action. 

IMG_20201129_070606503.jpg

Round two coming up ! 
Talking with a guy who lives next to my spot, he hasn’t see a deer yet in gun. We both feel it’s mostly due to the fact that once crops are harvested, the ground is turned over or covered In manure, there’s no corn stubble , or spilled beans to pick through ,the food is just gone . Yet less then a mile away there’s 100’s of a acres of standing corn and so on .

Add in few hunters out ( I saw one pick up parked on my drive down and back ) and nobody pushes anything anymore , they used to be pushed around all day on OD and weekends .

Oh well that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to, it !

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Round two coming up ! 
Talking with a guy who lives next to my spot, he hasn’t see a deer yet in gun. We both feel it’s mostly due to the fact that once crops are harvested, the ground is turned over or covered In manure, there’s no corn stubble , or spilled beans to pick through ,the food is just gone . Yet less then a mile away there’s 100’s of a acres of standing corn and so on .

Add in few hunters out ( I saw one pick up parked on my drive down and back ) and nobody pushes anything anymore , they used to be pushed around all day on OD and weekends .

Oh well that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to, it !

Agree 1000%.  On our spot in 7F there is no food after leaf dyeout. And actoss one Rd a closed golf course and open fields around all the rest of area.  They eat at night and bed next to those during the day to recoup. We have nothing to pull them in. Once muzzle starts you can barely find a track here in a week's time.  Ghost town.  Rut is over so nothing really wandering too far from food.  Can't put in food plots cause its a wetlands area.  And have heard maybe 3 shots all season that might be on neighboring properties. 

Once muzzle opens I will have access again to AG fields where I bow hunt. I don't gun hunt there the owner does and I stay out of the way then. And late muzzle I will sit over these AG fields every afternoon I can. After opening weekend not much chance for any action. 

Hunt #37. 12/3. 7F scrapetree stand . Light -10:30.  

Deer tracks in snow on way in, nothing big. Pulled cam cards and two does st midnight went thru.  No bucks since Thanksgiving night on cam The wide boy went thru that night. 

Didn't see anything. Quick break to get warm and charge phone then back out.  

IMG_20201203_071702962_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201203_071708627.jpg

Hunt #39 12/4 7F light -11:30.  Point stand

Saw nothing. Pulled 4 cameras for the year.  Pretty much nothing on them, other than a stray doe at night here and there. Not a single buck pic since Thanksgiving. 

I'm prob about done with gun season. Maybe 1/2 day tomorrow and then not until next weekend if Corey wants to do a push for the last weekend one morn.  

But ..... Stay tuned for muzzleloader.  Got feeling a good one is gonna drop. 

IMG_20201204_074053782.jpg

IMG_20201204_074045182.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

But ..... Stay tuned for muzzleloader.  Got feeling a good one is gonna drop. 

I am going to give filling a dmp tag (or 4), 3 more tries in the southern zone this weekend. 

I am also looking forward to ML, when I will have a buck tag again.  It is great that it opens up in the northern zone a week earlier.  My boss just signed for 1-1/2 vacation days.  I am going to use the half, get out early next Friday, and head north.  The weekend after that, I will use the other day to stretch the southern zone weekend until the last Monday.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am going to give filling a dmp tag (or 4), 3 more tries in the southern zone this weekend. 

I am also looking forward to ML, when I will have a buck tag again.  It is great that it opens up in the northern zone a week earlier.  My boss just signed for 1-1/2 vacation days.  I am going to use the half, get out early next Friday, and head north.  The weekend after that, I will use the other day to stretch the southern zone weekend until the last Monday.

My bow spot opens back up for muzzleloader.  I don't gun hunt there.  And there are AG options of all kinds up there in the area.  Late season and food give me some hope .  Hopefully a couple of the big boys I had on cam in bow season made it thru gun season.  

IMG_20201026_181853508.thumb.jpg.2119b7e1a9ea754ec5bdd11b2b89138c.jpg

IMG_20201026_181824246.thumb.jpg.2d70494490aa9a3f3b76df4f302242de.jpg

IMG_20201026_181613830.thumb.jpg.a953e714363b700bde933646911a5890.jpg

• Like 1

Hunt #40 12/5. Light -10:30. CSS stand 7F.  

Didn't see anything.  Corey was in opener and also didn't see anything.  Pulled cam by stand and no pics. Something seems wrong with the cam will have to check it out.  

It for gun for me, maybe next weekend though for a last try pending work .  Corey is off all week. Really hope he has some action. 

Hunt #41 12/12 

A gracious offer from Lomax to come out and hunt in the buckform for the afternoon.  Went out and it took us less than 12 steps I believe to see the first deer.  Lol.  Sitting there for a little bit and saw more deer than all of gun season x3.  A few deer came out a ways away, a couple ran right by us quick . Then just before dark a small buck came out and then a bunch of does. 

Picked a good size one in the group and sent it. Deer go running , even towards us. Didn't see one hurt or go down and was thinking OMG I missed. Can't be ...we go out to look for blood and there she is piled up, fell in her tracks . Lol. Guess I got her.  

Amazing place to hunt and a good time whether we saw deer or not. Good to meet another fellow forum member. Hell we were BSing so much almost missed seeing some of the deer.  Lol.  Fun day. 

43790.jpeg

• Like 16

Hunt #41 12/12 
  A gracious offer from Lomax to come out and hunt in the buckform for the afternoon.  Went out and it took us less than 12 steps I believe to see the first deer.  Lol.  Sitting there for a little bit and saw more deer than all of gun season x3.  A few deer came out a ways away, a couple ran right by us quick . Then just before dark a small buck came out and then a bunch of does. 
Picked a good size one in the group and sent it. Deer go running , even towards us. Didn't see one hurt or go down and was thinking OMG I missed. Can't be ...we go out to look for blood and there she is piled up, fell in her tracks . Lol. Guess I got her.  
Amazing place to hunt and a good time whether we saw deer or not. Good to meet another fellow forum member. Hell we were BSing so much almost missed seeing some of the deer.  Lol.  Fun day. 
43790.thumb.jpeg.971961c95213f5c127a82b31339f472d.jpeg

Awesome when forum members get together and hunt. And that buck above is sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2