Geocaching

crappyice

Anyone ever do any geocaching? Nice post-season way of staying in the woods (before or while shed hunting).

They have some free apps for phones now that are limited to some hides and you can’t hide any yourself but it is a nice intro to the hobby. My one sone who is not so into the hunting just found his first one this morning up in the Boston area.

50f1a07c9829b83ef9df63778432ed25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I think I found something  like that but the one I found was a bullet shaped threaded capped thin with some writing inside had no idea what I had found and just wrote a short message on a piece of paper and placed it back in the tree.

6 hours ago, crappyice said:

Anyone ever do any geocaching? Nice post-season way of staying in the woods (before or while shed hunting).

They have some free apps for phones now that are limited to some hides and you can’t hide any yourself but it is a nice intro to the hobby. My one sone who is not so into the hunting just found his first one this morning up in the Boston area.

I dont get it 

There is something open for hunting all year long actually. 

you guys might as well be speaking Russian to me. 

Hahha....geocaches are hidden “treasures” whose coordinates are recorded via GPS. The coordinates are posted along with clues or pic or instructions and can then be found by others. Some are easy and others can be more complex.

6 hours ago, crappyice said:

I discovered my 1st one while hunting Letchworth  sp in an ammo box. The girls and I  find a bunch every year now, usually  in the spring when we start to go stir crazy in the house.

I use my phone and am able to set  caches.

8 hours ago, crappyice said:

Been caching for about 8 years. You can put out your own caches. That s ow they get out there.go-to geo caching.com you can find out how to place and register you own cach.  Have placed several of them. Cgeo is the ap for geocaching. There are a few caches that only ground speak members can view. Fee to be a member is $20 Bucks for lifetime I believe. Other te member caches all other caches are available for you to search for. Cgeo works great on phones or tablets with Android. Not so good without Android.

• Like 1

Been caching for about 8 years. You can put out your own caches. That s ow they get out there.go-to geo caching.com you can find out how to place and register you own cach.  Have placed several of them. Cgeo is the ap for geocaching. There are a few caches that only ground speak members can view. Fee to be a member is $20 Bucks for lifetime I believe. Other te member caches all other caches are available for you to search for. Cgeo works great on phones or tablets with Android. Not so good without Android.

I loaded this one since it was free. I’ll see if he takes to it before trying some of the others.

1255b3da314cbb4b009ddd31068f5cbe.jpg

52 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I loaded this one since it was free. I’ll see if he takes to it before trying some of the others.

1255b3da314cbb4b009ddd31068f5cbe.jpg

I have never used that on.all the geo caching apps at free to be a member and use. You only pay if yo want to become a premer member so you can get a few extra caches and options. Neither of which are a need.

If you have Android on your phone or tablet c geo is the way to go. Can download the caches you want to look for along with any descriptions and clues so you can assess the info even when you have no service. 

If you find a travel bug you can put its number into c geo ad see every place it has been. Ust remember to place it in another cache so it can continue it trip. After you put it back out you can fallow it and see where it goes. I have gotten a few that have been all over the world. 

Some of the caches are real hard to find he might have to search a few different times for them. You can read what other people have said about the fact and if they found it or not. Dnf means did not find. Tftc means thanks fr the cache. It can be addicting.

Most caching is done when there is no snow n the ground. This is so other dope do not fallow your tracks to the cache and take advantage of your work. If you ever make it out around buffalo send me a message.

Oh by the way most airports have geocach drop off points you can get trave bugs people have brough with them from out of state or country. Whenleavin on a flight people will grab a bug from these drop offs and take it to a new farther away place.

• Like 2

I have never used that on.all the geo caching apps at free to be a member and use. You only pay if yo want to become a premer member so you can get a few extra caches and options. Neither of which are a need.
If you have Android on your phone or tablet c geo is the way to go. Can download the caches you want to look for along with any descriptions and clues so you can assess the info even when you have no service. 
       If you find a travel bug you can put its number into c geo ad see every place it has been. Ust remember to place it in another cache so it can continue it trip. After you put it back out you can fallow it and see where it goes. I have gotten a few that have been all over the world. 
  Some of the caches are real hard to find he might have to search a few different times for them. You can read what other people have said about the fact and if they found it or not. Dnf means did not find. Tftc means thanks fr the cache. It can be addicting.
             Most caching is done when there is no snow n the ground. This is so other dope do not fallow your tracks to the cache and take advantage of your work. If you ever make it out around buffalo send me a message.
 Oh by the way most airports have geocach drop off points you can get trave bugs people have brough with them from out of state or country. Whenleavin on a flight people will grab a bug from these drop offs and take it to a new farther away place.

Found this free app for IPhone which seems to have more options
12a3c757709df4ff059895ae478c41cf.jpg

I’ve been geocaching for many years now and I agree, it’s a great way to get out and get in the field when it’s not hunting season. Especially when I’m traveling, it’s great for finding some interesting, out of the way places. 

Geocaching.com is the place to register for free and the geocaching app is available for any smart phone. 

Parks like Letchworth are loaded with caches, from easy to very difficult. 

We had to rescue a few folks , who were inside a storm tunnel that runs into the Genesee river gorge . Heavy rains caused it to flood and they got trapped, the miracle was that their cell phone worked in there .

Not sure why anyone would place one there .

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/cave-rescue-in-genesee-river-gorge/192799086

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Sad 1

We had to rescue a few folks , who were inside a storm tunnel that runs into the Genesee river gorge . Heavy rains caused it to flood and they got trapped, the miracle was that their cell phone worked in there .
Not sure why anyone would place one there .
https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/cave-rescue-in-genesee-river-gorge/192799086

Amazing. I bet it wasn’t hidden in the pipe but they checked there anyway