Moultrie issue

johnplav

I have a Moultrie m-990i which has been my favorite camera for the past 3 years.  Battery life has never been an issue until this season.  It takes 8 AAs and I used to get a full season (thousands of pictures, and video as well) out of one set of batteries.  Lately,  the batteries have been dying after only a few pictures.  I use energizer lithium, and after each failure, I test the batteries.  (Typically one or two of the 8 will be fully drained)  Any thoughts on this?  What is the expected life of a mid/high range cam like this one?  

I'm running 2 moultrie. One is at least 10 years old runs on c batteries.  That ran last year November until battery died in August.  I have newr camera 50i I think and batteries are ok just doesn't take greatest pics and I think it misses  pictures at times. Failure to activate.  Sounds like you have a ground issue drawing down those 2 batteries. 

Time for new camera

• Like 1

Rule of thumb - for every $50 you spend on a regular camera, you get one year of use. Anything beyond that is gravy.

You likely have some internal issues with constant power draw - probably soldering that has rusted out as Moultrie and most cams do not have coated internals to prevent corrosion. A couple options being to open cam and attempt to locate bad solder (if that is the case) and repair. You could also try an external power source.

My advice follows the law of diminishing returns - if you won't tinker with it to repair and can do so in a short amount of time, then it's probably done. Better off buying new. I also wouldn't consider the 990i high. Definitely mid-range. 0-100..low, 100-200, mid, 200+ high.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Rule of thumb - for every $50 you spend on a regular camera, you get one year of use. Anything beyond that is gravy.
You likely have some internal issues with constant power draw - probably soldering that has rusted out as Moultrie and most cams do not have coated internals to prevent corrosion. A couple options being to open cam and attempt to locate bad solder (if that is the case) and repair. You could also try an external power source.
My advice follows the law of diminishing returns - if you won't tinker with it to repair and can do so in a short amount of time, then it's probably done. Better off buying new.

Thanks... I’ll take a look, but I’ll plan on doing some research and shopping soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, phade said:

Lol I'd love to see how you came up with this rule of thumb....totally made up number I would assume.  There are a lot of cameras that are $$$$$ and no better than a cheapo in most cases.  I stay away from the real cheap stuff but i have plenty of $100 cameras that last a lot longer than two years.  As a matter of a fact I think I can say they all have.  

Edited by njg0621