ODYSSEUS

Winchester Longbeard XL With Mark And Terry Drury.

Recommended Posts

I use the longbeard loads with a carlson turkey choke designed specifically for those loads and get the best patterns at longer yards that i have ever seen and used.

  • Thanks 1

NRA Life Member

Buckmaster's Life Member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Engraver 99 likes those Carlson Turkey Chokes. Right now, I use the Primos- Tightwad. That is a 690. I might check into the Carlson Chokes depending on the price. I have 2 boxes of Winchester LONGBEARD. 3 1/2" #4S In 12 ga and 3" #6s  also in 12 ga. Patterning coming up in March.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daughters youth 870 20 currrently holding a jellyhead tube. I’m looking to upgrade it though. Sitting on a few boxes of this   A bunch actually 

image.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2019 at 2:25 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

Too tight for me. 

5789696F-F56A-47A6-ABCB-5E77CD87C09B.png

I use the same gun/load. My choke is one from Drury, or Primos.  Don't remember.  Love the tight pattern.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mowin said:

I use the same gun/load. My choke is one from Drury, or Primos.  Don't remember.  Love the tight pattern.  

I found the 2 ounce payload to pattern a little bit looser and to my liking    Portable drill and brushes to polish barrel in between shots. Gun likes a clean barrel for tightest pattern I found   

34DE7360-9B69-4E17-906E-8AA2F9814E98.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually have 3 Turkey Chokes for my Shotgun. A regular extra full that came with the gun. A Comp-N-Choke and the Primos Tightwad.  I have pounded those birds with the Primos. Come March- more patterning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 3:08 PM, Engraver99 said:

I use the longbeard loads with a carlson turkey choke designed specifically for those loads and get the best patterns at longer yards that i have ever seen and used.

Me too. I’ve killed two birds at 60 yards with this setup over the past three seasons. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't talk crap on the shells, because I never used them. But the reason I switched over to Hevi Shot a number of years ago was because I didn't like the occasional cripple with lead pellets. Hevi Shot is either a clean miss or a dead bird, in my experience. I really don't want to look back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I won't talk crap on the shells, because I never used them. But the reason I switched over to Hevi Shot a number of years ago was because I didn't like the occasional cripple with lead pellets. Hevi Shot is either a clean miss or a dead bird, in my experience. I really don't want to look back.

I used to order online  and shoot Nitro company tri plex before Safe act whacked that. They were great. Store bought heavi shot never patterned great for me. Always like to tinker with turkey loads.  Dead is dead but like seeing what loads do on paper 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I used to order online  and shoot Nitro company tri plex before Safe act whacked that. They were great. Store bought heavi shot never patterned great for me. Always like to tinker with turkey loads.  Dead is dead but like seeing what loads do on paper 

Yeah, at the end of the day, we all have to go with what is most comfortable for each individual.

We all know each gun/choke/shell is different, what works for me may not work for you. But I will say, Hevishot makes turkey chokes that are supposed to work especially well with their shells, so do Rob Roberts Final Strut chokes (I have his Pure Gold chokes in both my turkey guns, but they are now called Final Strut chokes).  I can honestly say I get a pattern at 50 yards that will fit inside my truck tire, shooting 3.5" shells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 5 different brands that, I am sending downrange in March. I wish ACTIV was still around. 2 1/4 Oz's of Nickel plated shot. Nickel is Harder then Copper. I bought a full case of ACTIV around 1998 when they went out of business.  I still have plenty.  They still work-- but, I don't want to take a chance with a Dud on a big Tom. Housebreaker gets a Chestful though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xr 3.5's, jellyhead choke. Deadly past 60 (proven). Pattern is very tight to about 40ish so I put a red dot on gun. Without the reddot I'm with TF, very tight and alot of room for error up close. I would not feel confident without red dot. If I had my way, I'd shoot every bird at 30-40.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Xr 3.5's, jellyhead choke. Deadly past 60 (proven). Pattern is very tight to about 40ish so I put a red dot on gun. Without the reddot I'm with TF, very tight and alot of room for error up close. I would not feel confident without red dot. If I had my way, I'd shoot every bird at 30-40.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
 

I have to let bird walk out past 30 yards or it's like shooting them with a slug. Fine for field shots not good in a thick woods. Red dot only way to hunt with tight patterns

  • Like 3

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 8:02 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=0f83455fcf3d9771imageproxy.php?img=&key=0f83455fcf3d9771Daughters youth 870 20 currrently holding a jellyhead tube. I’m looking to upgrade it though. Sitting on a few boxes of this   A bunch actually 

image.jpg

Ordered a Trulock designed for TSS #7's for her youth 20 gauge    Probably will order a Sumtoy too.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 12 ga 535 with factory xx full (.670) slings a serious pattern of Longbeard XR #4s. Beyond 60 no doubt. 

But my lil 20s are my go to gun with hand loads of TSS. Going to pick up some 7s this year to load

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.