16/8 Diet ?

GreeneHunter

2 hours ago, sits in trees said:

Why is putting less food in our mouths so damn complicated???

+1

Simple rule of weight loss- if calories in are less then calories burned, weight loss will occur.

I struggled for years with trying to loose weight and tried all different kinds of diets.  Would loose weight in the short term, but would eventually put it back on.

One of my big issues was "stress eating"... I would come home from work and eat to deal with issues and decompress. Luckily I didn't pick up other bad habits such as excessive alcohol use or smoking.  I also become the classic couch potato and would spend hours mindlessly binge watching shows or cruising the internet. 

In September 2017 I went to a hypno therapist to work on dealing with the stress and weight loss.  Not here to debate the merits of hypnosis, but simply said, it worked for me. 

Didn't make major changes to my behavior and habits, but simple things - when I feel stressed, drink a glass of water instead of eat.  When I feel stressed, take a walk to decompress instead of eating.  Be more physically active instead of being a couch potato. 

5 hypnotherapy sessions over the course of 3-4 months lead me to loose 60 lbs in 6 months (Feb. 2018).  Since then I have maintained the weight loss and want to work on dropping another 10-15 lbs before Feb 2019. 

Since I started this journey. Me and my wife were amazed at how much our weekly grocery bill changed - we were literally buying half the amount of food we did in the past - and the stuff we are buying is healthier.   I walk on average 3 or 4 times a day, and try to get in 5-6 miles each day.  My wife who has always been more in shape then me and was walking regularly lost 15 lbs by osmosis as my good habits rubbed off on her and she joined me on my walks.  

• Like 6

Any diet, without exercise, is worthless. The weight will just return when you begin to eat normally again.  When you exercise, your body metabolism increases, burns more calories and tones all the muscles.  This doubles the amount of weight loss you can ever achieve by merely limiting caloric intake.  The big plus is, you can actually eat more (of the right foods) when you get some exercise while losing weight.

Also losing weight is not as important as measurements.  Reshaping your body is much more desirable than losing muscle mass where you want it, like your chest and arms.

not far off from a normal meal schedule is it? breakfast around 7-8, lunch in between and then dinner around 4-5. They key point with any diet/ healthy eating, is to stop snacking in between and in the evening when we are bored. 

Most diets boil down to moderation and common sense. Stop buying / eating snack foods, soda, fast food, and watch how fast you lose weight. 

3 hours ago, sits in trees said:

Why is putting less food in our mouths so damn complicated???

Actually it is more complicated then that a lot of how heavy you can become is genetic , and environmental. 

Plenty of studies out that show this .

10,000 years ago when everyone had to catch there own food and food was less full of crap in it  those genetics were not a problem  they actually were helpful. See some super skinny looking guy walking around today more then likely he would have starved to death 10,000 years ago .  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Actually it is more complicated then that a lot of how heavy you can become is genetic , and environmental. 

Plenty of studies out that show this .

10,000 years ago when everyone had to catch there own food and food was less full of crap in it  those genetics were not a problem  they actually were helpful. See some super skinny looking guy walking around today more then likely he would have starved to death 10,000 years ago .  

Guess I have perfect genetics to live 10,000 years ago.  Grampy told me his diet secret that worked great for him.  Eat less food and you lose weight.  But that doesn’t sell books.  It also requires some self control.  

• Like 1

Look at photos of people on farms 100 years ago.  Very thin.  Lots of physical activity every day.  Look at civil war soldiers.  Even civil war families were thin.  Look at photos of average Americans in the 40's and 50's.  few were obese.  they had more activity in their lives and the food was more natural.

Today, I struggle to find food that is low in sodium.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Anyone try this Diet yet ?  You only eat during an 8 hour period everyday and fast the other 16 . The wife and I started this  about 3 weeks ago , I do find myself eating less ! No snacking . I haven't had the courage to weigh myself yet !

It's intermittent fasting (IF) and it has a lot of health benefits. Before I educated myself with intermittent fasting, I assumed it was just a way to reduce calories to lose weight, but it's MUCH more. The body heals itself, reduces inflammation in the joints, lowers blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, mental clarity, increased energy, etc... Google the health benefits of intermittent fasting. It's a regular part of some cultures to do, as they are aware of the health benefits.

I started out at 16:8, but last year I began 20:4 (fast for 20hrs, then eat for 4hrs). When you don't have calories in your stomach to fuel your metabolism, your body uses body fat for energy. I combine IF with Keto and between the two, they churn through body fat! I've been on and off for a couple of years now. I lost 40lbs in 3-4 months last summer, but hopped off the wagon during hunting season and put back on 12lbs (gas station food, fast food, junk snacks while bored on stand, sitting sedentary for 4-12hrs in a stand just about everyday, etc...). I always pack on 10-15lbs between hunting season and the holidays. I just got back on track with my IF and Keto the day after Christmas. Frankly, I love it!

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Guess I have perfect genetics to live 10,000 years ago.  Grampy told me his diet secret that worked great for him.  Eat less food and you lose weight.  But that doesn’t sell books.  It also requires some self control.  

That's also gentic your brain your body is not wired to lose weight,  trying not to eat when the food  is all over the place cheap and available.

Is like telling a someone to stop doing heroin once they're hooked .

Except your born addicted to wanting to eat food  and not wanting to lose weight. 

What complicates things even more is modern food is full of sugar and carbs that people have a problem to digest and it all becomes fat much more easily then the things humans use to eat thousands of years ago .

Edited by Storm914

16 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Yea and I guess that is why you are  great at primitive archery you definitely got the cave man Gene :)

• Like 1

I did the 16/8 thing for a awhile back and found it to be a license to eat! At 7:59 I was slamming full plates to hold me over! Not what is intended by the plan.

I did get into the paleo diet a few years back (ultimately eat like a caveman-if you can’t kill it or pick it you can’t eat it). Serious paleo people worked fasts into their plans as well considering early man did not have good supplies stocked up and would go days without substantial chow.

All these plans work HOWEVER self discipline is REQUIRED. But hell if we had that we wouldn’t need diet plans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk