Carrying a 1911

Chef

I was just wondering if I’m the only idiot who lugs around a government size 1911 as their every day carry. I’m currently carrying a kimber stainless and love the gun. My complaints are it’s heavy as hell. Even with a good holster and gun belt it’s got weight to it. I gotta keep that belt real tight to keep my pants up. Also this time of year is ok, coat and sweatshirt keep it pretty well concealed.

All that being said I’m looking to maybe make a change, I really love the 1911 platform and want to stay with one. I was thinking of going smaller maybe a 4.25 inch barrel or even the 3 inch models that kimber makes. I really like the KHX models. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or even carry something similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love all things Kimber i would look at some of there 3inch models....they handle very well and hit where you aim.

Yea I really can’t decided between the ultra aka 3 inch and the pro aka 4.25 inch... I want to feel then side by side and can’t find a gun shop around here that has either in stock... I even called kimber as I’m not far from Yonkers and they said the Facility is not open to the public

I own 4 1911’s and couldn’t imagine carrying one. Why anyone would carry a gun that heavy that holds less than half the bullets of something equal size is beyond me. From time to time during the winter I’ll carry my glock 20 just to remind me why I like carrying my other pieces so much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eaglemountainman said:

I carried a 5" SS Kimber in 40 S&W for years. Switched to a CZ 75 PCR a few years ago, mostly for the extra capacity and the decocker. Wish I'da done it sooner.

I am a big fan of the CZ 75 PCR. It seems to be like a natural extension of your arm when aiming, if that makes any sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I’ve been to him, the new guy in Harrison, A and J in rockland, and I called Davis. Any other suggestions lol

There is a guy in Yonkers....I have to get address from my brother...I well get back to you..

• Like 1

I own 4 1911’s and couldn’t imagine carrying one. Why anyone would carry a gun that heavy that holds less than half the bullets of something equal size is beyond me. From time to time during the winter I’ll carry my glock 20 just to remind me why I like carrying my other pieces so much.

You know honestly I can’t really put my finger on why I do. I mean I like the 1911 style of gun. I find them to be reliable, safe, durable, and actually minus the weight very comfortable to carry. I guess that’s why I’m looking for a lighter version of the same gun. I bet if you carried one for a week or two you may change your mind.

3 hours ago, Rattler said:

If you look at 9mm or even .380 ACP 1911 style pistols, you will find many that are much smaller and lighter than any 1911 in .45 ACP.  Are you adamant about carrying a .45 ACP?

The 1911 full size pistol is a favorite of mine but as an every day carry for me is it just way to big, heavy and tough to conceal especially when wearing light clothes in warm seasons. As Rattler mentioned above there are compact 1911 style pistols that are so much lighter and easier to conceal, not very enthusiastic about a 380 but those little 1911 style Sigs and Kimbers in 9 mm have plenty of pop. I carry one of those miniature 1911 style Sig P938s in 9 mm, it's a shooter and totally reliable,  it hides real nice and it is made out of metal.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

If you look at 9mm or even .380 ACP 1911 style pistols, you will find many that are much smaller and lighter than any 1911 in .45 ACP.  Are you adamant about carrying a .45 ACP?

Not 100% adamant about the .45

I’m basically looking at the smaller sig’s and Kimbers. I have thought about going the 9mm route to lighten. I just gotta find a shop that has some in stock so I can get a feel for them

• Like 2

You know honestly I can’t really put my finger on why I do. I mean I like the 1911 style of gun. I find them to be reliable, safe, durable, and actually minus the weight very comfortable to carry. I guess that’s why I’m looking for a lighter version of the same gun. I bet if you carried one for a week or two you may change your mind.

Highly doubtful, like most people I’m a lazy CCWer I like to dress then put on my pistol not dress around my pistol. I have never found 1911’s to be as reliable as other options. That being said I love 1911’s, 110 years ago they were an amazing gun 110 years later there is a long, long list of guns that are much better for the task of being carried daily.

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Highly doubtful, like most people I’m a lazy CCWer I like to dress then put on my pistol not dress around my pistol. I have never found 1911’s to be as reliable as other options. That being said I love 1911’s, 110 years ago they were an amazing gun 110 years later there is a long, long list of guns that are much better for the task of being carried daily.

I don't disagree that there are many better every day carry pistols.  I am curious what you find unreliable about the 1911? I'm more of a bolt-action guy, so I am interested in your experience with them.

3 hours ago, airedale said:

The 1911 full size pistol is a favorite of mine but as an every day carry for me is it just way to big, heavy and tough to conceal especially when wearing light clothes in warm seasons. As Rattler mentioned above there are compact 1911 style pistols that are so much lighter and easier to conceal, not very enthusiastic about a 380 but those little 1911 style Sigs and Kimbers in 9 mm have plenty of pop. I carry one of those miniature 1911 style Sig P938s in 9 mm, it's a shooter and totally reliable,  it hides real nice and it is made out of metal.

Al

The full size 1911's I've shot (Colt, Kimber, S&W, Nighthawk and Les Baer) were a joy at the range, but not something that I would personally carry daily due to the size/weight/capacity trade-offs.  But that's just me.

Carry the one you shoot the best, that is reliable and has a sufficient capacity to handle a worst-case scenario.  Go to the range with a timer (or timer app on your phone) and practice from the holster with what you plan to carry.  The timer and target results will provide you with unbiased feedback.  I have discarded many carry-sized pistols that looked and felt sexy at the gun shop, but failed to improve my performance on the range.  The process can get expensive, but the end results are totally worth it.

For me, the best options so far have proven to be a G19 and Shield 9, both carried aiwb and each upgraded with Ameriglo Spartan night sights.  I have 1000's of live and dry fire reps with each.  Considering the other options out there, I'm tempted to invest in a proven rds platform next.  

I don't disagree that there are many better every day carry pistols.  I am curious what you find unreliable about the 1911? I'm more of a bolt-action guy, so I am interested in your experience with them.

1911’s are finicky by nature a 1/1000 here or a bit of a burr there can make a huge difference in reliability. There’s a reason why cheaper 1911’s should rattle and why good ones cost 1000’s and are hand fitted.