Skunked for ducks

Al Bundy

Had a big crew today. 4 non shooters, three shooters and the dog. Lots and lots of,ducks. More than I’ve seen in a morning for quite some time,  maybe ever. But... nothing came in real close. There were a few that should have been bagged but were missed. Still good time was had by all.  Blacks, mergies, and buffleheads. Did not see an identifiable mallard. 

Chased geese after but also struck out. 

Going out again in the morning with only two shooters and the dog. Hoping we’ll get some into the spread. 

• Like 3

My son and I were invited by a friend for a Cayuga Lake duck hunt Saturday morning. My son had never been duck hunting before nor ever shot a duck even though we have hunted fields for geese many times. We decided to let the rookie get the shots and he nailed 2 goldeneye drakes and 1 goldeneye hen. They were the only birds that came in so he was 3 for 3. We hunted from my friend's boat and had a great time. I hope the New Year brings good luck to everyone and especially to Paula on her first time out.              valoroutdoors.com 

123951.jpg

• Like 7

Out again this morning with one other shooter and my lab.  Had a beautiful shot at a pair coming in to the spread. Problem was it was about 5 mins before legal.  I let them land and swim around.  They were swimming away and at Max range when I pulled up on them at legal. Hit the first after he flew, confirmed by my hunting buddy. He said he saw my pattern hit the water around him.  Didn't drop.. wtf?  Lots and lots of large flocks.  Just flying and fairly high. Not interested in landing. I don't recall ever seeing this number of large flocks.  I've only seen flocks this size maybe twice before but nowhere near the number.  I'm somewhat awestruck honestly.  I was unable to tell what they were as they were not close.

Lots of mergansers flying again. Also blacks. Lots of blacks.  Most landing 90+ yards. We had another shot finally and one folded and splashed down. It was far but down. My lab began to swim and the damn thing started swimming. Some how it got off the water. It was out of range for a shot plus was not going to shoot over my lab.  I called her back with my head hanging low. Not much other action. Chased snows after and my hunting buddy managed to get two. 

IMG_20181230_083211219.jpg

IMG_20181230_131353191.jpg

Edited by Al Bundy
  • Like 5

Paula - Good luck to you tomorrow!! I am jealous! I wish I were going out but am taking a bit of a break until next weekend.  I hope they come in to your spread. Good term for you to know if you don't already is "sky busting". Shooting at ducks/geese that are way out of range. It happens.

Good job Charlie! Looks like a nice hunt.

• Like 1