protecting tree stands from theft

stubborn1VT

What do you guys/gals use to lock up your stands?  I have never had to do this because I am hunting family land.  This year some low lifes from the next road over stole one of my stands, a set of climbing sticks and a hub blind.  From what I hear they will be evicted for back taxes, but in case they are not I would like to lock up my stands and maybe my cams.  

Python cable locks? Chain?  I am just curious about your experiences.  My buddy just says to use all ladder stands, since they won't want to lug them out.  

What do you think?

I use cable locks on all my hang-on stands on my land.  I don't have any real concerns about my neighbors stealing them.  But, I think the locks will stop anyone who might trespass and be tempted.  I never leave blinds or climbing sticks in the woods unless I'm up there and will be in the woods.  Cameras are a different story.  I don't lock them up- I just hope for the best.  Haven't had any problems in the five years that I've owned this property.  But, I've had stands and cameras stolen from other property in the past.

• Like 1

I had to move a ladder stand  and could not find the keys. Stand had a cable lock. Took a small set  of cheap bolt cutters and cut the lock. I was surprised how easy they cut the lock. If people want them they will get them . Locks only keep honest people honest. I don't use cable locks anymore . Its chain and a good padlock. I try to put the lock at a point where it is hard to acess. They may get it but I will make them work for it.

• Like 3

I've locked my sticks and stand together and then to the tree. I forgot the combination and had to bring my cordless dewalt angle grinder which took all of 5 seconds to cut the lock off.

Look at McMaster Carr or grainger for security head bolts and all metal lock nuts for putting your climbing stick together with . Again nothing out of site is safe but It just may deter them from taking the climbing stick out in one 20 foot piece if they don't have the correct wrenches for removing the bolts instead of those stupid pins they provide.

• Thanks 1

I use cheap stands on perimeters and put cams towards middle of property.  I'd say half my neighbors I would trust the others are either scumbags or people that hunt but dont own the property. I have had one stand with climbing sticks also two cams stolen. People suck sometimes

I always lock my stands with a bicycle cable and padlock or a chain and lock. And I  always take them down asap.  I have them all in my garage waiting to be put away till next fall. I believe the stands will last longer not sitting out in the elements rotting away. Plus I think the scum that see them in the off season figure that no one is around so nows a good time to grab it. It's worked well so far. Knock on wood! 

• Like 1

I keep them away from old logging roads and trails. Also nothing near property lines. I have yet to have my hunting gear stolen but I only hunt private land.

People have a tendency to follow those 2 things when walking around in the woods.

I know most land owners around the properties  i hunt. Also I guess people think I am a mean sob, so that could be a deterrent for some.

Thanks for the replies folks.

This was a first for me in 20+ years.  They came half a mile through the woods and went through at least 3 sets of posters.  I realize that there is no perfect solution.  I was just curious what other people do, since I have never had to worry about it before.  I'm leaning toward grade 70 chain and padlock, or replacing the stolen stand with a homemade ladder stand made of pressure treat.

9 hours ago, nodeerhere said:

Anyone ever hear of the tile? It's a tracking device. I've been really tempted to jb weld this to my hunting stuff! Cameras! Tree stands! Imagine! Walk up to the door. Knock knock.... Hello! Oh hi. Give me back my shit! 

The best Tile ( the pro ) has a range of only 300 feet .  I don’t lock much , never had an issue in 30 plus years I this spot . This year I did lock my Lone Wolf hang on.  Went to take it down today ,had wrong key, my knife and four whacks with a chunk of metal I found nearby did the trick.

Regular presence,along with distance , farm to,the south who I get along with runs a mile , ours to the North just as far . Know locals to the East and West .

62B521FB-AD06-4E86-A1F7-6E6D1266CE86.jpeg

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

10 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

The best Tile ( the pro ) has a range of only 300 feet .  I don’t lock much , never had an issue in 30 plus years I this spot . This year I did lock my Lone Wolf hang on.  Went to take it down today ,had wrong key, my knife and four whacks with a chunk of metal I found nearby did the trick.

Regular presence,along with distance , farm to,the south who I get along with runs a mile , ours to the North just as far . Know locals to the East and West .

62B521FB-AD06-4E86-A1F7-6E6D1266CE86.jpeg

Where did you find Rambos knife?   He has been looking all over for it.  

• Like 1