protecting tree stands from theft

stubborn1VT

5 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I beat his a$$ and took it ! 

I love that $30 made in NY knife,goes with me anytime I’m in the woods, I’ve beat the crap out of it , comes right back , kinda like me !

Well I hope you use it for its intended purpose- tying it to a big branch and sticking a hog by jumping on it.  

21 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

The best Tile ( the pro ) has a range of only 300 feet .  I don’t lock much , never had an issue in 30 plus years I this spot . This year I did lock my Lone Wolf hang on.  Went to take it down today ,had wrong key, my knife and four whacks with a chunk of metal I found nearby did the trick.

Regular presence,along with distance , farm to,the south who I get along with runs a mile , ours to the North just as far . Know locals to the East and West .

62B521FB-AD06-4E86-A1F7-6E6D1266CE86.jpeg

Correct! Except that any time it it's a wifi connection it pings where it is at! Please take my shit and put it in ur basement! I'm going to to be knocking on the door! Not you personally! U know what I'm saying 

• Like 1

Take them down asap..put in barn shed basement .. saves damage from elements and cant steal what isnt there. Had 1 stand stolen off my.place in 26 years a friends who I told to take it down several times. His answer was I'll put it back up in same spot.. went turkey hunting in may..stand was gone... 

Treestands and camera.  Easy Easy thing.......

Make them camo.   Take a new treestand and give it a camo pattern.   Then add a vine along a side or two.   Much harder to see it 50+ yards away.   Trail camera straps.......  Why haven't they been camo yet?    A bit of spray paint makes them much harder to spot at distance.  Leaning a few sticks helps too.

Treestand theft..   A few feet of large diameter chain and a nut/bolt.  Tigthen the bolt with the right wrench good.  Then take a size bigger wrench and screw up the hex head.

Live just over an hour away.  My brother lives on the farm, but isn't in the woods that much.  During that week my blind and stand were stolen, a bunch of trail cameras came up missing on the neighboring properties.  It wasn't the neighbors anyhow.  They are all scared of my temper.  And the farm has a backhoe.

Edited by stubborn1VT

12 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

The best Tile ( the pro ) has a range of only 300 feet .  I don’t lock much , never had an issue in 30 plus years I this spot . This year I did lock my Lone Wolf hang on.  Went to take it down today ,had wrong key, my knife and four whacks with a chunk of metal I found nearby did the trick.

Regular presence,along with distance , farm to,the south who I get along with runs a mile , ours to the North just as far . Know locals to the East and West .

62B521FB-AD06-4E86-A1F7-6E6D1266CE86.jpeg

Is that a military issue knife? That looks a lot like the handle I built the mold for many years ago. Is there a marine Corp. Emblem on it?

7 hours ago, sailinghudson25 said:

Treestands and camera.  Easy Easy thing.......

Make them camo.   Take a new treestand and give it a camo pattern.   Then add a vine along a side or two.   Much harder to see it 50+ yards away.   Trail camera straps.......  Why haven't they been camo yet?    A bit of spray paint makes them much harder to spot at distance.  Leaning a few sticks helps too.

Treestand theft..   A few feet of large diameter chain and a nut/bolt.  Tigthen the bolt with the right wrench good.  Then take a size bigger wrench and screw up the hex head.

Dont use a “ full” strap around the tree , they’re easy to spot 360. Use a piece just long enough to stick  out past the camera and nail to tree . Use a short nail and leave head out a bit .

Jeremy , it’s an Ontario Knife company. Spec Plus Marine. No emblem . Don’t see this one listed anymore .

http://ontarioknife.com/fixed-blades/spec-plusr-series.html

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

7 hours ago, G-Man said:

Take them down asap..put in barn shed basement .. saves damage from elements and cant steal what isnt there. Had 1 stand stolen off my.place in 26 years a friends who I told to take it down several times. His answer was I'll put it back up in same spot.. went turkey hunting in may..stand was gone... 

As I mentioned above.  It was stolen the first week of November, between VT bow season and rifle season.

15 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Thanks for the replies folks.

This was a first for me in 20+ years.  They came half a mile through the woods and went through at least 3 sets of posters.  I realize that there is no perfect solution.  I was just curious what other people do, since I have never had to worry about it before.  I'm leaning toward grade 70 chain and padlock, or replacing the stolen stand with a homemade ladder stand made of pressure treat.

Pressure treated built stands was our solution.  

• Thanks 1

As some have said locks, etc. Only make them work a little harder to steal. Lost a ladder stand and a hang on and climbing sticks on 2 separate occasions, but that was on public land, even though chained and padlocked. Now I don't leave anything in the woods. Some guys leave hang ons, but remove the steps up to 8 or 10 feet and remove the seat. It has never crossed my mind to take someonelse's stuff, but then I was raised that way.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Treestands aren't even safe on private property .

My son went to his double ladder stand on opening morning of Bow Season . The bottom section was missing and no where to be found .That made the stand useless . It was over 200 yards from the road and farther from any house . 

We also had permission to hunt private property in Mendon . On two occasions the ladder support bar was removed from a stand . That could have been quite dangerous if one of us tried climbing into the stand in the dark .

ladder stand at marks2.jpg