Wireless/Cell trail camera research/input needed

J sin

I’m starting to research wireless trailcamera set ups to equip my new property. Looking for any input as to what cameras people have and how they like them. Cell service isn’t a problem, theft shouldn’t be too much of a concern. I like the idea of the cuddelink system, but I just wonder if the technology will get better in the near future to push out my purchase. Thank you in advance for any suggestions. 

Happy New Year,

Jsin

How many cell linked cameras you looking to put up? If just one or two, I think the Spypoint Link is a good choice as it is activated out of the box, and gives you 100 free pics each month. I'm happy with mine. I do admit I am considering upgrading to the Cuddelink system for its ability to connect multiple cams to one cell account.

There is no point in pushing out camera purchases based only on some advancement being just over the next hill. Alot like other "nice to have" tools...there will always be advancements of some sort.

Standalone cell cams have different purposes than mesh networks and different capabilities/limitations.

My suggestion is to buy a standalone cell camera now. Set it out and get used to set-up, controls, how to troubleshoot, and determine battery life for your specific situation. In mid-late spring, make the important decisions about what you will need and buy for the 200 acres. That gives you 3-4 mos to implement the cams, overcome any learning curve, and be ready for the fall season.

All in all, I think I ran right around 20 cams in cellular or mesh networks this fall.

I have the Bushnell trophy cam. Love it. If I had the spare cash, I'd buy 10 more. They just came out with a new model which I will be watching for a good sale price.

I know some others that run the Spartans and have nothing bad to say.

It's some amazing technology and a unbeatable scouting tool for bedding areas or places you don't want to disturb or just can't get to regularly. I'd assume any of the name brands have great cams. Like phase said, if you wait for the latest greatest, you will never buy.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I have the Bushnell trophy cam. Love it. If I had the spare cash, I'd buy 10 more. They just came out with a new model which I will be watching for a good sale price.

I know some others that run the Spartans and have nothing bad to say.

It's some amazing technology and a unbeatable scouting tool for bedding areas or places you don't want to disturb or just can't get to regularly. I'd assume any of the name brands have great cams. Like phase said, if you wait for the latest greatest, you will never buy.

I have a half dozen of the Bushnell Impulse in this week and sold my first one last week. Moultrie will have an integrated cell cam out, too. Moultrie is really hitting hard with a super low retail price. Curious to see what it can do at that price point. Less than $200 for their premium model.

The Impulse should perform really well, but it has a few design areas I am not so sure I like. They have the cam open downward to be convenient when on a tree. Sounds great in theory, but it's a recipe to get moisture into it. Also, the length of the cam opens, so it's not like a small door. The cam body itself is a bit awkward shaped so I am curious how easy it'll be to attach to the tree. It does have a small adjustment knob on the bottom to level the cam.

It is rather thin though...sleek in appearance.

I have a half dozen of the Bushnell Impulse in this week and sold my first one last week. Moultrie will have an integrated cell cam out, too. Moultrie is really hitting hard with a super low retail price. Curious to see what it can do at that price point. Less than $200 for their premium model.
The Impulse should perform really well, but it has a few design areas I am not so sure I like. They have the cam open downward to be convenient when on a tree. Sounds great in theory, but it's a recipe to get moisture into it. Also, the length of the cam opens, so it's not like a small door. The cam body itself is a bit awkward shaped so I am curious how easy it'll be to attach to the tree. It does have a small adjustment knob on the bottom to level the cam.
It is rather thin though...sleek in appearance.
What is your price of the new Bushnell ?

2 hours ago, kpkot said:

I get awful cell reception with sprint at my property.  Verizon isnt that much better.  I would be nervous to purchase one and have no coverage. That's why I haven't taken the plunge.

When I looked at the spypoint web page this morning, I noticed they had a deal going where you get a free long range cell antenna with the purchase of one of there cell cams. That could make a difference for you, if you care to check it out. Note: deal expires TODAY.

https://www.spypoint.com/EN/promotions/ 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

What is your price of the new Bushnell ?

They are currently selling for more than MSRP based on demand. It'll fall in the next few weeks, months as stock levels catch up. Right now, I have a standing list of people making offers for the 6 coming in Wed.

I have a new spypoint dark link I got just before gun season that I like a lot. It took good pics and performed well in my opinion. I also have an older covert code black that I use that works well but I think I like the spypoint better.

6 hours ago, phade said:

There is no point in pushing out camera purchases based only on some advancement being just over the next hill. Alot like other "nice to have" tools...there will always be advancements of some sort.

Standalone cell cams have different purposes than mesh networks and different capabilities/limitations.

My suggestion is to buy a standalone cell camera now. Set it out and get used to set-up, controls, how to troubleshoot, and determine battery life for your specific situation. In mid-late spring, make the important decisions about what you will need and buy for the 200 acres. That gives you 3-4 mos to implement the cams, overcome any learning curve, and be ready for the fall season.

All in all, I think I ran right around 20 cams in cellular or mesh networks this fall.

Thank you Sir, I agree with the why wait for technology thought. With that being said do you have any suggestions as to a make of camera that could get me started? I like the idea of purchasing a cuddeback with the potential to link it up with other cameras down the road, having one brand to use and work with....?

Thank you Sir, I agree with the why wait for technology thought. With that being said do you have any suggestions as to a make of camera that could get me started? I like the idea of purchasing a cuddeback with the potential to link it up with other cameras down the road, having one brand to use and work with....?

I have a few Spartan Wireless Trail cameras and I absolutely love them! I have been running wireless trail cameras since 2013. I started with the Covert Wireless cameras but I have since sold away my Covert cameras and use Spartan cameras only now. The Spartan cameras give you so much control using the app. They are just amazing! Having the option to request 10 second video clips is also a great feature. I haven’t used the Cuddeback Link cameras so I can’t comment on them but trust me you will love the latest 4G Wireless cameras from Spartan. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run from 6-8 cams Year long, as I said before they are outside all year long,six at camp in the tug hill range and two at the house . Spy point ,browning,moultrie and one wild game innovations is the herd .Bushnell burned me so I am not a fan. 

I've been debating if I am going cellular for the past few years. Obvious concern is reception and sprint doesn't work but Verizon does in spots at camp. 

Question can a Verizon cam transmit to say a phone with spectrum mobile ,sprint ,at and t or any other data carrier.

Question two ,spy point sends X amount free per month, why would you go another route if you know your only getting ten pics a week .

I see lots of guys running the moultrie external modem, has that system improved over previous versions.

I said I won't strap anything more then a 150 dollar cam to a tree for fear of theft, will they ever come down that low in price. 

Edited by sbuff

I bought two covert cell cams in 2015 and enjoyed them but eventually found them rather basic in abilities. I often only got the very front of a deer (quick trigger I assume) and the subsequent pics don’t get sent to cell. In 2018, one of my 3 year old units stopped working out of the blue so I shipped it back to Covert for potential repair and they said it could not be repaired. They offered a “discount” replacement for $300. I was not impressed with that and did not replace. I will be buying another brand next time. A friend of mine has a spy point and the pics he sends me look nice. 

I dont think I could ever go cellular.. I get 2500 plus photos a week on several cams running 14 cams at the moment I really dont see a benifet...  my phone would be vibrating non stop.. let alone extra charges if they only allow 1500 pics