Robin Hood (Z)

Lawdwaz

I'm not sure what shop I've seen it (could be Nick's?) but there is a display of a pile of Robin Hooded arrows.  I always thought that was pretty cool but it sure could get costly for a guy doing it often, one worry I didn't have. 

So I've got this new bow and it was set up and tuned by Roy at Nick's Sporting Goods.  He shortened my arrows by 2" and turned me loose.......

When I shoot in the basement (usually clothed to some degree) it is very short range, mostly just to keep my muscles from shriveling up completely and I shoot at individual little spots.  Last week I shot some outside at about 17-18 yards and did a Robin Hood.  Well that was pretty cool but what are the chances of it ever happening again?  I shot a bit a few days later outside at the club I belong to, it went well but no 'Hoods.

This morning I ventured out to the swamp and plunked a few in the Block.  Damn are you kidding me? 

shPelah.jpg

LeBJi7O.jpg

So now I have to start changing things up or keep buying arrows. :)

• Like 11

That's how you know you're shooting tight groups. It used to happen fairly regularly for me. Even had quite a few at 30-35 yards back when I used to use aluminum arrows. It's fun. Means you're doing something right. But maybe next time shoot more individual dots. You're groups are tighter than _____________.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I don't understand the concept of shooting arrows into groups. I wouldn't have any arrows that weren't damaged.

Picked up bow at dealer, second arrow hit the knock off first and third arrow split first. Shop owner said maybe I shouldn't do that anymore. LOL That was it for me, carbon arrows cost more then I want to pay to begin with.

I got an invite on another forum to a 3d match and robin hooded another guys arrow, and it was really uncomfortable as that guy only brought 2 arrows along for the day and it was second target of course. Aimed off target rest of day, and still do some 3d, but solo.

4 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I don't understand the concept of shooting arrows into groups. I wouldn't have any arrows that weren't damaged.

Picked up bow at dealer, second arrow hit the knock off first and third arrow split first. Shop owner said maybe I shouldn't do that anymore. LOL That was it for me, carbon arrows cost more then I want to pay to begin with.

I got an invite on another forum to a 3d match and robin hooded another guys arrow, and it was really uncomfortable as that guy only brought 2 arrows along for the day and it was second target of course. Aimed off target rest of day, and still do some 3d, but solo.

I guess all the guys I ever hung out with were a bunch of rummies and just couldn't shoot. :)

Just now, Lawdwaz said:

I guess all the guys I ever hung out with were a bunch of rummies and just couldn't shoot. :)

Honest, I like to just shoot. Can get 22 yds in my shop and plink often year round. Have a half dozen 3d targets I sprinkle about the property and with hilly terrain it can be fun. Having 2 permanent bag targets set up makes it easy to just shoot a dozen or two whenever and from undercover if needed.

Don't hunt much with one, don't care for sitting in a stand, and never said I could out hunt anyone ever. Much more disciplined folks out there than me that hunt, you included. I'm good at killing stuff with a rifle, and comfortable what my strengths are.

3 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Honest, I like to just shoot. Can get 22 yds in my shop and plink often year round. Have a half dozen 3d targets I sprinkle about the property and with hilly terrain it can be fun. Having 2 permanent bag targets set up makes it easy to just shoot a dozen or two whenever and from undercover if needed.

Don't hunt much with one, don't care for sitting in a stand, and never said I could out hunt anyone ever. Much more disciplined folks out there than me that hunt, you included. I'm good at killing stuff with a rifle, and comfortable what my strengths are.

I wasn't getting porky, just saying all the guys I ever shot 3D and regular spot targets over the years must not have been so good. :)

Not talking hunting........

He seriously brought "2" arrows to shoot a round on a 3d course??
Half the fun when you shoot with guys who are dead on is blowing up each other's arrows. One way to prevent that is shoot all black fletchings and pin knocks...otherwise you will be fletching 1/2 dozen a week.
Our team may have been a little twisted but if your the 1st shooter and drop an x ...guess what it's game on for the other 5 guys!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Half the fun when you shoot with guys who are dead on is blowing up each other's arrows. One way to prevent that is shoot all black fletchings and pin knocks...otherwise you will be fletching 1/2 dozen a week.
Our team may have been a little twisted but if your the 1st shooter and drop an x ...guess what it's game on for the other 5 guys!

Yep, one guy had 2, another 3....I had 5 on my bow and 5 in the car.

I would think the same. :rofl:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I wasn't getting porky, just saying all the guys I ever shot 3D and regular spot targets over the years must not have been so good. :)

Not talking hunting........

That's it , I'm putting the word out . Open season on Larry's arrows at the academy this year. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

With today's bows and sighting systems it's a lot more common. I use multiple 3 d targets and blocks and shoot 1 arrow at each ( almost my own private 3d range) was breaking way to many arrows ,broken nocks,holes in fetching or stripping fetching off, and the Robin hood.. got to expensive and this was with aluminum arrows.. never even took a chance when I switched to carbon would be way to expensive. I put my cash into extra targets and they last for years.. arrows well at least the only ones I replace now are broken or lost on game.. 

22 minutes ago, G-Man said:

With today's bows and sighting systems it's a lot more common. I use multiple 3 d targets and blocks and shoot 1 arrow at each ( almost my own private 3d range) was breaking way to many arrows ,broken nocks,holes in fetching or stripping fetching off, and the Robin hood.. got to expensive and this was with aluminum arrows.. never even took a chance when I switched to carbon would be way to expensive. I put my cash into extra targets and they last for years.. arrows well at least the only ones I replace now are broken or lost on game.. 

Even worse then breaking them is not knowing that you broke one ,those fractured shafts can cause a serious injury .

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

i don't bother with pin knocks unless they come on the shafts normally. this all common from what i've found.  for my 3D bows i typically run two black and one flo yellow for blazer vanes and that's usually enough with or without a black nock.

i don't bother with pin knocks unless they come on the shafts normally. this all common from what i've found.  for my 3D bows i typically run two black and one flo yellow for blazer vanes and that's usually enough with or without a black nock.
I do like black knocks as well.....doesn't let other shooters focus on your arrow.

5 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

I do like black knocks as well.....doesn't let other shooters focus on your arrow.

as long as the targets shaded and/or shot up a little, it's just another hole that's less than the mass gathering of arrows somewhere around the X ring. many reface there 3D targets though which helps pick out the outline of the rings again.

5 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

It's one of the first 2 on my list to spark my interest, that and the new logic 

love the idea prime makes a solid riser that can make or break a bow more than anything. prime isn't too big out this way and don't see much used from them.