ODYSSEUS

An American Tragedy, How A Mass Extinction Can Help Save Out Forest.

Watch the whole moving Video. Our Wildlife took a Deep hit with the American Chestnut Loss. Deer and Wild Turkey among them. Chestnuts were much preferred over white oak acorns. This is the right forum for this video. 

• Like 1

I found a trio of American Chestnut this fall and was amazed by the amount of squirrel, deer and I believe bear activity (bear scat) around them. It was unlike anything I've seen with any other wild food source. I wish I knew if they were a pure native strain though.  This was near a road named Chestnut Ridge Road..... interesting....  The few I was able to collect were very edible.

• Like 1

Right Woodcock. From everything, I have read- the American Chestnut was the #1 Tree in the Forest System for food for Wildlife. The outer Hull of the nut is very similar to that which is dropped by the Beech Tree. The Beech though cannot be counted on each Fall to drop nuts. From what, I read the American Chestnut can still grow- but at an early stage, the Blight kills it.  They grow close to the ancient stumps similar to a Rose Of Sharon Tree. I have some of those. I am trying to do more reading on this particular subject.

On 1/1/2019 at 11:43 AM, ODYSSEUS said:

Watch the whole moving Video. Our Wildlife took a Deep hit with the American Chestnut Loss. Deer and Wild Turkey among them. Chestnuts were much preferred over white oak acorns. This is the right forum for this video. 

The biggest hit was the passenger pidgeon...

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

I have over 50 now and the deer will stand underneath and what for squirrels to shake them from trees.. are near impossible to open until they do on their own, then the squirrel shake them out as the burr is still a formidable defence.  I have sever dozen now planted via but by squirrels as well..always nice to walk thru the wood and find new seedlings I k ov I have not planted.. 1 of every 4 trees in it native range was a chestnut... and a single tree could fill a lumber car. They were know as the redwoods of the east and are the true reason the smoky mountains are called that as the white catkins in bloom would make them look to be covered in smoke...  

• Like 1

This was one of my best trees I planted from a nut 18 years ago ,it fought the blight and I cut it and had board made it made it to 14in dbh. It has since resprouted  and is now 20 ft tall in 2 years. 17843.thumb.jpeg.77f102e2eb8af06d22c87b3c7e3c05af.jpeg

17841.jpeg

The American chestnut foundation has 2 ways under development a back cross breeding program, and a genetic splice( taking place a esf  in Syracuse.) The genetically modified trees are now being given. Out to long term members of acf 1st. 

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2