These gotta hurt to shoot

turkeyfeathers

Ok guys I made a ballistic calculation on how many energy foot pounds there is with this slug out to 100yds. I did not know the BC of the slug so I gave it a BC of .15 so here is the energy out to 100 0:4759 25:4169 50:3647 75:3187 100:2784. this slug has more energy at a 100yds than a standard slug has at the muzzle. The recoil going to be a bit stout.

• Like 2

A 600  grain projectile  at nearly 1900 FPS  would rate right up there  in recoil with large caliber elephant type guns, and those are usually fired in 12 to 15 pound double rifles... To shoot such a load in a 7 pound pump gun would be nuts....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A 600  grain projectile  at nearly 1900 FPS  would rate right up there  in recoil with large caliber elephant type guns, and those are usually fired in 12 to 15 pound double rifles... To shoot such a load in a 7 pound pump gun would be nuts....
I'll shoot and film if someone sends me a box

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greensider said:

I sold my pump gun after shooting 3.5 inche turkey loads and getting bruised and got an auto loader maybe I will give them a try next season 

My 1187 spt shoots 3.5” turkey loads like they were low brass 20 gauge.  Unless you shot it you couldn’t appreciate it.  Could shoot paper all day and never feel it. But 3” out of my winny 1300 pump is another story 

As a youth my uncle would have us shoot his 10ga NEF with 3.5slugs if we wanted to. Being teenaged cousins we all thought we were man enough, I recall one cousin falling back a good six feet to his rear end. That NEF with modified choke was dead on at 75yards .

I've shot 600gr conicals in my white thunderbolt muzzloader as recent as the summer and recoil was moderate. A good stock and recoil pad does help absorb some shock.

Edited by sbuff

For those interested google up "Ed Hubel" and his "12 ga From Hell" threads on a few other gun forums. He uses modified 50 BMG brass in his big bore projects and is interesting reading about his load developments when he started to do full brass cartridges in shotgun platforms.