Handgun carry while rifle hunting

tidriver

11 hours ago, sbuff said:

As I understand it ,there is no open carry in NYS

Open Carry in New York State. Openly carrying a firearm is illegal everywhere in New York City for civilians. Outside the city, open carry is allowed only while hunting or on a shooting range. Concealed carry permit holders must keep their weapons concealed.

Actually these can be pretty handy:

untitled.png.224b72062ab6ffcae8c6d00f2b9786cc.png

Wore one on a deployment because I had a battalion commander that wanted everyone to look the same and he liked leg rigs for sitting at his desk. Having worn one for 8months I couldn’t imagine trying to wear one hunting. I would rather put a full size 1911 in my cargo pocket than a have a holster strapped to my thigh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Open Carry in New York State. Openly carrying a firearm is illegal everywhere in New York City for civilians. Outside the city, open carry is allowed only while hunting or on a shooting range. Concealed carry permit holders must keep their weapons concealed.

Well,  saw my tits off  !!

I have been saying that I NEVER do anything illegal...I have been carrying handguns while  working or hiking in rural areas in open hip holsters for many years...My pistol permit says NO RESTRICTIONS on one side, and on the other side it says I cannot carry it in NYC...  I did not know I was a blatant lawbreaker...My apologies...It will NEVER happen again...Thanks for enlightening me, Steve... GAWD...Now I feel so GUILTY and CHEAP...!!!!

8 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Well,  saw my tits off  !!

I have been saying that I NEVER do anything illegal...I have been carrying handguns while  working or hiking in rural areas in open hip holsters for many years...My pistol permit says NO RESTRICTIONS on one side, and on the other side it says I cannot carry it in NYC...  I did not know I was a blatant lawbreaker...My apologies...It will NEVER happen again...Thanks for enlightening me, Steve... GAWD...Now I feel so GUILTY and CHEAP...!!!!

No reason to feel that way...I do the same thing. The only time I am concealed is when I am in public. One time I stopped along rt. 81 to assist in a car accident and was visibly carrying. The state trooper asked if I had a permit. I said yes and that was the end of it. He never asked to see the permit or pursed the conversation. I was just reacting to the post from sbuff and wasn't intending to ruffle any feathers.

You can rest easy tonight and sleep well:pleasantry:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Wore one on a deployment because I had a battalion commander that wanted everyone to look the same and he liked leg rigs for sitting at his desk. Having worn one for 8months I couldn’t imagine trying to wear one hunting. I would rather put a full size 1911 in my cargo pocket than a have a holster strapped to my thigh!

The only use I have had for one was a few times deer hunting. I have carried my .40 s&w in it and found it to be easier to pull than reaching on the hip when a deer is close and don't want a lot of movement. The chest type like turkeyfeathers uses would be my preference when sitting but I have not found one yet to my liking. I could see where walking with one all day could be cumbersome that is why I only use it on occasion.

5 minutes ago, Steve D said:

No reason to feel that way...I do the same thing. The only time I am concealed is when I am in public. One time I stopped along rt. 81 to assist in a car accident and was visibly carrying. The state trooper asked if I had a permit. I said yes and that was the end of it. He never asked to see the permit or pursed the conversation. I was just reacting to the post from sbuff and wasn't intending to ruffle any feathers.

You can rest easy tonight and sleep well:pleasantry:

Don't worry, Steve, you didn't ruffle MY feathers...Hehehe....

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Actually these can be pretty handy:

untitled.png

I could just see myself having to take a dump and deal with that contraption....heck, taking off my binocs, coat, vest, safety harness, pants w/suspenders, long johns and BVD's can consume WAY too much valuable time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, tidriver said:

when I'm rifle hunting,(here in NY) can I open carry my handgun in a thigh holster? or does my pistol have to be a concealed carry?

In any area where it is legal to hunt with a rifle, it is also legal to hunt with a pistol...I do not think there is any law against carrying TWO legal  hunting instruments, so  you should be perfectly legal with an exposed holster while hunting..

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

Interesting.

4 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

That's like using 2  condoms :)

One rifle is all you need when you hunt  just bring more then one bullet .

Some times you need two to keep water out of the barrel:).

You are a right handed shooter standing or sitting by a tree and a deer sneaks in on your right side.

What then??

5 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Some times you need two to keep water out of the barrel:).

You are a right handed shooter standing or sitting by a tree and a deer sneaks in on your right side.

What then??

I turn and shoot with my rifle that's going to have more power and accuracy then a hand gun :)  bring the gun you want to shoot when you hunt leave the other home just extra weight. :)

Edited by Storm914

ł have open carried my Great Uncles .357 as a sidearm a couple times when ł hunted with his 30-06 pump rifle in his honor after he passed away.

ł hate peeling layers to take a leak, could you imagine having to peel layers when one comes in range because your implement is tucked in your jacket.

Have seen a number of fellow hunters using rigs similar to the one pictured. One gentleman was unfortunately toting an oxygen tank due to medical issues and may not have been able to enjoy hunting if he didn't have a similar set up and a friendly ride on the quad to a blind.

20190102_210511.png

• Like 1