Handgun carry while rifle hunting

tidriver

Open Carry in New York State. Openly carrying a firearm is illegal everywhere in New York City for civilians. Outside the city, open carry is allowed only while hunting or on a shooting range. Concealed carry permit holders must keep their weapons concealed.
Is this for residents of the state of New York only or for any USA citizen?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’ve never had an issue with DEC officers , and I’ve been checked at the road many times, while open carrying .

Once was in the summer, I was checking and repairing posted signs , when I got to the road one was sitting there in his car. There was an ongoing poaching issue and he was just checking me out . I had my Glock on my hip, he glanced at it and never said a word about it .

We had a nice chat , and he gave me his card .

I,often carry my SW mod 586 .357, for up close shots and I’ve finshed a couple  that I spined with it .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

1 hour ago, TACC said:

Is this for residents of the state of New York only or for any USA citizen?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Each state has there own gun laws .

I think usually when  you see someone with both handgun and a rifle with them out  hunting  on public land  there planning on doing some target shooting after they get tired of hunting. Some guys bring them along because that's the only time they shoot them a lot of the times ,Public land is the  pistol range for a lot of people . 

Edited by Storm914

Each state has there own gun laws .
I think usually when  you see someone with both handgun and a rifle with them out  hunting  on public land  there planning on doing some target shooting after they get tired of hunting. Some guys bring them along because that's the only time they shoot them a lot of the times ,Public land is the  pistol range for a lot of people . 

The state land I hunt is Shotgun only so it's nice to have my. 08 strapped inside my coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The actual law (Penal 400.00) is a bit hazy on this issue.  Technically, all pistols are illegal unless you have a NYS pistol permit (which provides an exception to that regulation).  There are only certain types of licenses issued as per 400.00:

Types of licenses.  A license for gunsmith or dealer in firearms shall be issued to engage in such business.  A license for a pistol or revolver, other than an assault weapon or a disguised gun, shall be issued to (a) have and possess in his dwelling by a householder;  (b) have and possess in his place of business by a merchant or storekeeper;  (c) have and carry concealed while so employed by a messenger employed by a banking institution or express company;  (d) have and carry concealed by a justice of the supreme court in the first or second judicial departments, or by a judge of the New York city civil court or the New York city criminal court;  (e) have and carry concealed while so employed by a regular employee of an institution of the state, or of any county, city, town or village, under control of a commissioner of correction of the city or any warden, superintendent or head keeper of any state prison, penitentiary, workhouse, county jail or other institution for the detention of persons convicted or accused of crime or held as witnesses in criminal cases, provided that application is made therefor by such commissioner, warden, superintendent or head keeper;  (f) have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or place of possession, by any person when proper cause exists for the issuance thereof;  and (g) have, possess, collect and carry antique pistols which are defined as follows:  (i) any single shot, muzzle loading pistol with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system manufactured in or before l898, which is not designed for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition;  and (ii) any replica of any pistol described in clause (i) hereof if such replica--

Section (f) is the license type that most people get and is informally referred to as "unrestricted."  There is no target/hunting only pistol license according to the actual law.  As you can see in the above text, it states to "have and carry concealed."  Most people interpret this to mean that you can only carry concealed.

Howeverhandgun hunting is allowed in NYS.  Just about everyone I've talked to, including DEC officers, have acknowledged that it would be impractical to have your handgun concealed during a hunt.  The practical interpretation I've received from most pistol instructors and LE is that open carry is allowed at designated ranges and while hunting afield.  I've also seen some people open carry pistols while walking out in the woods to do some target shooting, but I think LE's acceptance for this practice would vary greatly from one county to the next.  Also, it should go without saying that you can carry any legal firearm (pistol, rifle, shotgun) however you want on your property.

Clear as mud, but that's NY for you.

Edited by Padre86

On 1/2/2019 at 8:50 PM, Storm914 said:

That's like using 2  condoms :)

One rifle is all you need when you hunt  just bring more then one bullet .

Well that's boring. ;)

"One is none, two is one, three is better"

I always have a substantial sidearm with me out and about in the woods, hunting or not. Doesn't matter if I have a rifle or shotgun with me. 

I used to do lots of single shot pistol hunting. Short barreled Contender's in the woods and a 16" inch one I liked to sit on the edge of a large corn field with. What I started doing was keeping the 16" one in my back pack, and still hunting my way to the field with the shorter one for a couple hours before hand. Then switch when I got there.

So I'm doing that one year, also carrying my S&W Mountain gun behind my hip. That year, as it ws later in the season, I was also bringing my Ruger bearcat .22 along for any small game targets of opportunity for the pot.  One afternoon I was heading out and running late. I thought "I haven't taken my Ruger Bisley 44 out yet, maybe I'll do that now." But I was too lazy to take my pack, and coat off, undo my belt and remove the holster for the Mountain gun. So I just grabbed the Ruger and stuck it in the front pocket of my wool hunting pants. 

I was out for probably around an hour when I decided to sit down on a log for a while and rest to stay cool. That's when it hit me.  "Oh my lord...  do I really have 5 guns with me?"  :D lmao

I always have two. I've had three with me plenty of times since then, but no more. ;) 

Edited by cas