When you purchase a new Bow or Crossbow, How long do you plan on using it?

ApexerER

So the 986th crossbow inclusion thread made me think about the way I think about my hunting implements. 

I don't own a firearm that I ever plan on selling. They have either been passed down to me (many are older than me) or they were purchased by me because they were what I wanted. Every firearm I own I plan on owning for the rest of my life. There really isn't a firearm at this time that I feel like I need to add to the gun cabinet. But if I ever do feel like I need to add another it will be exactly what I want and I will plan on owning it for the rest of my life. 

I don't look at my archery equipment that way. I view my archery equipment as something to get me through until the next something to get me through. I believe I purchased my bow in 2012. It's a Bowtech Assassin. I would have characterized this bow as a midlevel bow when I purchased it. There were much cheaper alternatives but also much much more expensive ones. I didn't purchase this bow thinking I would be hunting with it for the rest of my life so it was hard for me to invest in top dollar equipment. I put my own site and rest on it the season I purchased it and have been hunting with it that way ever since. I can't really think of anything I don't like about it, but still don't see this as the bow that will be hanging in my treestand in 20 years. 

When crossbow got a season I wanted a crossbow. Being that it was a 2 week season meaning I would likely only hunt a maximum of 4 days a year with it, I again didn't want to invest top dollar on a crossbow. Like the bow I didn't think this would be a piece of equipment that I would have for ever either. So I purchased a cheaper crossbow (Barnett Gamecrusher), swapped out the optics with a Nikon Bolt XR (thinking I could use this on any crossbow I purchase in the future) and have been hunting with that. 

I don't feel like I need to upgrade either at this time but would like to upgrade both at somepoint. (unless full inclusion happens, then I would probably only use a crossbow)

So am I thinking incorrectly about archery equipment? Do any of you purchase a crossbow or bow thinking you will never need another one? 

I would have no issue dropping a grand on a crossbow if I knew I was going to be hunting with it for the next 30 or 40 years. But my guess is that will never happen. They will get faster, lighter, more accurate, less cumbersome etc. Unlike my firearms, archery equipment is always improving. I think you could make an argument that firearms are going the opposite direction. 

Is it wrong to look at  archery equipment as throwaway equipment? Am I seeing it wrong?

10 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

So the 986th crossbow inclusion thread made me think about the way I think about my hunting implements. 

I don't own a firearm that I ever plan on selling. They have either been passed down to me (many are older than me) or they were purchased by me because they were what I wanted. Every firearm I own I plan on owning for the rest of my life. There really isn't a firearm at this time that I feel like I need to add to the gun cabinet. But if I ever do feel like I need to add another it will be exactly what I want and I will plan on owning it for the rest of my life. 

I don't look at my archery equipment that way. I view my archery equipment as something to get me through until the next something to get me through. I believe I purchased my bow in 2012. It's a Bowtech Assassin. I would have characterized this bow as a midlevel bow when I purchased it. There were much cheaper alternatives but also much much more expensive ones. I didn't purchase this bow thinking I would be hunting with it for the rest of my life so it was hard for me to invest in top dollar equipment. I put my own site and rest on it the season I purchased it and have been hunting with it that way ever since. I can't really think of anything I don't like about it, but still don't see this as the bow that will be hanging in my treestand in 20 years. 

When crossbow got a season I wanted a crossbow. Being that it was a 2 week season meaning I would likely only hunt a maximum of 4 days a year with it, I again didn't want to invest top dollar on a crossbow. Like the bow I didn't think this would be a piece of equipment that I would have for ever either. So I purchased a cheaper crossbow (Barnett Gamecrusher), swapped out the optics with a Nikon Bolt XR (thinking I could use this on any crossbow I purchase in the future) and have been hunting with that. 

I don't feel like I need to upgrade either at this time but would like to upgrade both at somepoint. (unless full inclusion happens, then I would probably only use a crossbow)

So am I thinking incorrectly about archery equipment? Do any of you purchase a crossbow or bow thinking you will never need another one? 

I would have no issue dropping a grand on a crossbow if I knew I was going to be hunting with it for the next 30 or 40 years. But my guess is that will never happen. They will get faster, lighter, more accurate, less cumbersome etc. Unlike my firearms, archery equipment is always improving. I think you could make an argument that firearms are going the opposite direction. 

Is it wrong to look at  archery equipment as throwaway equipment? Am I seeing it wrong?

Traditional archery bows tend to drop in value initially and then hold their value reasonably well.  Compounds and crossbows drop and then drop some more and more.  I also think that technological "improvements" to archery equipment don't really have much more room for growth.  I buy bows because I like shooting them and I guess having a small collection is OK.  I don't ever need to buy another but will I?  I suspect the answer is yes.  But I don't consider the traditional stuff throw away.  The compounds and xbow probably will be tossed at some point since value drops so low after 5-10 years.  I think I paid $165 for my xbow on a whim and it may be the last I ever buy.  I don't see myself using it much except from a blind and for a cheapie, it does the job just fine.

Short answer - I agree that compounds and xbows are unlikely to become family heirlooms.

Edited by moog5050

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Traditional archery bows tend to drop in value initially and then hold their value reasonably well.  Compounds and crossbows drop and then drop some more and more.  I also think that technological "improvements" to archery equipment don't really have much more room for growth.  I buy bows because I like shooting them and I guess having a small collection is OK.  I don't ever need to buy another but will I?  I suspect the answer is yes.  But I don't consider the traditional stuff throw away.  The compounds and xbow probably will be tossed at some point since value drops so low after 5-10 years.  I think I paid $165 for my xbow on a whim and it may be the last I ever buy.  I don't see myself using it much except from a blind and for a cheapie, it does the job just fine.

I don't know anything about the traditional equipment but I can see how purchasing a handmade traditional bow with the wood grain etc. (excuse me if I sound ignorant talking about traditional equipment) Is completely different than purchasing a compound bow or crossbow. They are just as much things of beauty like a quality rifle old or new as they are a hunting implement. 

I can see purchasing a traditional bow and being intent on keeping it forever. 

• Like 1

I typically shoot my bows for 10 years or so, but having said that I agree with moog, compound technology has reached a standstill. So my 2014 bow may be used longer than ten years unless there is a improvement in technology . Really any bow made within  the last 5 years are pretty much equal in characteristic. Yes manufactures have made small tweaks here and there but nothing ground breaking . I do see more and more guys questioning on wether it’s worth upgrading. 

Edited by rob-c

4 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I typically shoot my bows for 10 years or so, but having said that I agree with moog, compound technology has reached a standstill. So my 2014 bow may be used longer than ten years unless there is a improvement in technology . Really any bow made within  the last 5 years are pretty much equal in characteristic. Yes manufactures have made small tweaks here and there. I do see more and more guys questioning on wether it’s worth upgrading. 

This is why I haven't looked into a new bow. I don't feel like there is a need too at the moment. I am not sure that the improvement I would be getting, even from a midlevel bow at the time would be worth the cost. I don't know what the cost is to have strings and cables replaced but at somepoint I am going to have to weigh whether or not that is worth the cost vs a new bow. Do you spend (guessing) $150 bucks on strings and cables on a bow that would be worth maybe $200 on craigslist?

My bow is 10 years old now, and I absolutely dread the day I crack a limb, or something else.  Don't want to drop another 800 bucks on one.  I know it won't last forever but I would be content I'd it did. Bjust replace the string every 3 or 4 years and I'm happy.

Same thing with the crossbow, but I expect it won't last nearly as long, but also cost about half as much.

11 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

This is why I haven't looked into a new bow. I don't feel like there is a need too at the moment. I am not sure that the improvement I would be getting, even from a midlevel bow at the time would be worth the cost. I don't know what the cost is to have strings and cables replaced but at somepoint I am going to have to weigh whether or not that is worth the cost vs a new bow. Do you spend (guessing) $150 bucks on strings and cables on a bow that would be worth maybe $200 on craigslist?

Well depends, I do all my own bow work and I order my string and cables from 60x custom bow strings in in p.a. I see they are getting $90 for a set now, I do mine usually ever 3-4 years and I think last time I ordered it was $75 so they have raised their price. If you shoot your bow well and you like it then why not put string and cables on it . Remember one does not need a $1000 bow to kill a deer. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

I am still shooting my Bear Super Kodiak recurve bought in the late 60s, I have purchased an assortment of other recurves and compounds over the course of a lot of years and other than a couple of Turkeys I did not like and sent down the road the rest are still here, enjoyed and still shot frequently, much like my firearms most will probably be with me until I croak.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I wore out my last bow but it took me 10 seasons +. At that point it needed strings and the site was getting pretty dim, stuff was getting rattly etc and it wasnt a high end bow.  But they def wear more than a gun.  I wouldnt buy one of either right now until we see if inclusion occurs as i would prob just use my xbow.  I kinda asked myself this same question a couple of weeks ago when Parker went out of business.  I had to order bolts to last me and i now have 16 - so hoping that gets me thru for many years or i might have to buy another.  

Guns i tend to buy until I find the one i really one that works best.  My problem is i dont know til i use it some and I am not one to have any safe queens and let them sit.  So i am actually putting one or two up for sale soon.  As i basically only use two guns for deer and thats all i need.  Also only have one shotgun for turkeys, one for waterfowl, one for small game and a .22 and only one pistol (went thru 3 before i settled) 

To me they are mostly tools unless some attachment of an heirloom. I am not much to chase the latest bow and am more frustrated if i had to change bows cause mine is set up and i am comfortable with it. BUt yeah i think of a bow as use it til it gets too bad of shape or has an issue then replace. 

I change every two or three years, always used. Right now I only have two, one setup to hunt and one for 3D that I could hunt with in an emergency. They are virtually worthless after four or so years, Im not spending upwards of $1k on one. Im getting ready to list one on here I'm going to leave $300 in accessories on it and hope I get $450. Including a release and arrows

I bought my only compound used about 7 or 8 years ago. I bought a low end recurve xbow a year or two later. I bought a takedown recurve bow last year. I am going to continue to use each until something breaks on them and it isn't worth repairing.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

it depends. competition is usually looking for the newest most forgiving and shootable bow out there. still i've gotten away and done well with a bow a few years old. hunting is totaling subjective. new is nice but a bit older still does just fine in comparison. price of a traditional bow stays flat and no longer depreciates. my super kodiak that Bear sent me a handful of years ago is probably worth the same as airdale's that's from the late 60's. price of a compound will be worth practically nothing but have sentimental value despite never being an heirloom. i know a guy that's taken over 50 deer with his Mathews, still used to this day. you couldn't buy that bow from him for any price, but to someone else it's worth a find at a garage sale for a $20 bill.

i used to buy the best flagship bow out but now i buy used or leftover bows i can get a deal on that are just a few years old if that.  my primary hunting bow is a 2011 PSE Evo. not much of a need to replace it unless i find something dirt cheap to try for fun.  i've picked up a handful of newer bows and sold them since i bought that new from a shop.

When I buy a bow or crossbow I buy the best I can or  if you will high end. I will not replace it until technology has changed enough to warrant it. My bow is only 8 years old now and the one before that was 15 years old when I retired it. Limbs went from vertical to parallel nothing has changed with compounds since then to make a big enough difference to me to get new.

My crossbow is 4 years old and is still one of 4 I know of that are over 400fps. Though reverse limb tech is interesting to me as for balance the speed is about the same 400 fps. I have even went and tried a few reverse limb crossbows for feel.. they have not impressed me enough to warrant a near 2000.00 dollar purchase. So I'll be keeping my crossbow till prices drop on them as the only thing I would be replacing is balance....

Like many if technology doesnt warrant a purchase, im not quick to buy new. My vertical bow is a matthews switchback XT probably close to 12 years old but is deadly accurate,.  My xbow is around 5 years old and as long as the shot is 50 yards or under it is insanely accurate, unless something goes bad with these 2 rigs, i wont be getting new.

3 hours ago, ApexerER said:

When I have purchased a bow I buy with the thought of using it for a long time. As long as it can still do what I expect it to ,doesn't require constant repairs, and enjoy shooting it, I see no need to buy a new one. I shoot a lot of arrows before hunting season, (not so much during :taunt:)  so dependability is important to me. If I like what I have I seldom look to upgrade or change and know some guys that have "up graded" only to end up going back to their old bow because they were more comfortable with it.

I have yet to buy a crossbow and will hold out as long as I can. Not knocking crossbows...Just no interest at the present time.

I bought a crossbow this year-a Parker! I have plans on using it indefinitely, but now who knows! I did buy some bolts last weekend-I think I have 14 now. I plan on using it until it breaks-hopefully many years.

i love guns, but the crossbow is just a tool for me-like my hunting knife. I've had that for 20 years and probably will never but another unless I lose it. Rifles-I have enough to carry a different one every day of the week. I have friends who are just the opposite-same rifle they have used since they were teenagers, but buy a new bow every other year.

Will

I think it has to do with your priorities, I love to shoot year round and not just 2 weeks before the season begins. I don’t have to but I enjoy it . Guns are completely different I think they tell more of a story and hold if not increase in value where as bows lose values. I had or have 2 bows always sometimes 3 bows and for no other reason than I love to shoot. Shit even my 12 year old has 2 bows but she shoots even more than I do. I plan on adding another couple guns to my collection but with bows I feel like I’ll be buying and selling for years to come 

Edited by sodfather

30 years bow hunting ,two bows .... till I buy Jeremy’s Synergy off him ...... That should last me till I die or another 30 years .

And then only because I can’t draw my current bow .

My Ten point Xbow should last my lifetime as well .

• Like 2