Long range question

Chef

So this should be pretty simple, I installed a vortex viper pst on my AR 10 Chambered in 6.5 creed after zeroing the scope at 100 yards I have 9.5 mil’s of come up left on the scope. This is on a regular mount that I had. Is this enough or would you switch to a 20moa mount? 9.5 mil’s should be enough to get to 1000 yards for the 6.5 creed any way just asking opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the purpose of the gun? Is it a competition rifle?  Are you going to Camp Perry to "ring the bell"?

Its for me to have fun with... I just found it odd that I needed half of the scopes vertical adjustment to get on target at 100 yards

12 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Its for me to have fun with... I just found it odd that I needed half of the scopes vertical adjustment to get on target at 100 yards

How come you don't have it zeroed for 200yds?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

I have a friend who does 1000 yard shoots around the country. His bases and rings are specialized affairs with an elevation angle built into them. I don't think he could hit with any accuracy at 100 yards if he wanted to, even just sighting down the side of the barrel. It's a "purpose-built" gun, and it's purpose is not 100 yard shooting. FWIW the gun is a .338 Lapua Mag, and he's hit relatively small stuff at 2000 yards with it. Like woodchucks, for instance.

• Like 1

I have a friend who does 1000 yard shoots around the country. His bases and rings are specialized affairs with an elevation angle built into them. I don't think he could hit with any accuracy at 100 yards if he wanted to, even just sighting down the side of the barrel. It's a "purpose-built" gun, and it's purpose is not 100 yard shooting. FWIW the gun is a .338 Lapua Mag, and he's hit relatively small stuff at 2000 yards with it. Like woodchucks, for instance.
How could you tell what they were after they exploded from impact?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, philoshop said:

A woodchuck at over a mile.  Yikes.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, moog5050 said:

A woodchuck at over a mile.  Yikes.

A guy in a Nevada desert a few years ago hit a gopher at over two miles. That's a long poke at something the size of a soda bottle. :rofl:

It took him two days of trying, but his friend on the range finder/spotting scope, and a neutral observer both attested to the fact that he hit at that distance.

22 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

How could you tell what they were after they exploded from impact?

Back when I was going on outfitted big game hunts I would always spend time in the summer using the rifle I was going to hunt with and chuck hunting with it. Becoming well acquainted with the rifle in the field and picking off Woodchucks at fairly long distances made shooting and hitting big game as easy as rolling off a log. One of the rifles I used back then was a Sako Finnbear 338 Win Mag, many would think those big bullets would totally destroy something like a Woodchuck but that was not the case. Bullets made for big game are so heavily constructed for the most part have zero expansion on chucks and just punched clean holes. Something like a 220 Swift on the other hand loaded with a thin jacket varmint bullet will give those explosive results some term as "Red Mist".

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2