Let’s talk high capacity meat grinders.

rob-c

20 minutes ago, G-Man said:

My 1/2 hp does a lot an hour I cant feed it fast enough . Not sure what a high capacity would do unless your a commercial operation

One we have now is rated for 2lbs a min, I cut and my wife feeds the grinder. A 4 lb a minute  grinder I think would be ideal for us. I don’t mind processing my own but I do want to be as efficient as I can. 

The lem #8 is half horse and runs 7 lbs per minute  .  Should be able to start at the tale and be done in 15 minutes or so .

One thing I did learn a few years back is not all blades are the same . My original blade that came with my grinder worked but would plug up if any tendon  silver skin got in the mix.  I thought it was dull after second  season  of use . 

I picked up a stainless lem blade  at bps. That thing is still cutting like new almost 10 years later.

The new lem big bite is my next grinder if this one goes. Reading something about a cooling jacket on the new ones.

Edited by Nytracker

I have this one from Cabela's. It does ok and is rated at "400" watts but is not rated for lbs. per minute. It will do a good job if you take your time and don't force it. I got it as a gift but if I was to buy one myself it would be a 1/2 hp which I believe is rated at 7lbs per hr. I think you would get better performance and longevity from a model that size.

Here is mine and it does ok:download:

Cabela's Heavy-Duty Meat Grinder

$99.99

SKU: 2516153

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-heavy-duty-meat-grinder

Edited by Steve D

2 minutes ago, rob-c said:

I saw that, was hoping I could get some first hand reviews on some models. 

That 1/2 hp should work just fine.  I got the 3/4 as I figured it'd maybe be a little less stressed if I didn't have super cold meat or was wanting to do 3-4 at a crack with friends. 

Read the reviews on line for that model, what do the masses say?

2 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

That 1/2 hp should work just fine.  I got the 3/4 as I figured it'd maybe be a little less stressed if I didn't have super cold meat or was wanting to do 3-4 at a crack with friends. 

Read the reviews on line for that model, what do the masses say?

Yeah I always read reviews but one also has to take them with a grain of salt. You or another on here saying you like it is like a no BS review. 

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

I have this one from Cabela's. It does ok and is rated at "400" watts but is not rated for lbs. per minute. It will do a good job if you take your time and don't force it. I got it as a gift but if I was to buy one myself it would be a 1/2 hp which I believe is rated at 7lbs per hr. I think you would get better performance and longevity from a model that size.

Here is mine and it does ok:download:

Cabela's Heavy-Duty Meat Grinder

$99.99

SKU: 2516153

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-heavy-duty-meat-grinder

This is the one that I have...it has done 10 + deer so far and still works like new.  Two seasons old now and I love it for being a 100 dollar machine.

12 hours ago, rob-c said:

We have a LEM table top now and are looking at getting a larger one. Something that is rated for 200+ lbs a hour.

At that rate you could probably throw the whole deer in there and just remove the hair and bones when complete:preved:

in practicality you can grind just as fast with a fractional horsepower grinder with a decent neck. #22 is big that's like what we have at the farm with the old fractional HP Hobart. I just got the 3/4HP Cabelas one that Larry has with #12 neck. unless you have a person cutting and loading the tray with another one feeding it you're not saving much time at all. it helps you save time is the way you cut the meat for the grind pile when trimming and deboning.  with a decent grinder you cut it into strips and it'll just eat. as fast as you feed it. 

32 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

in practicality you can grind just as fast with a fractional horsepower grinder with a decent neck. #22 is big that's like what we have at the farm with the old fractional HP Hobart. I just got the 3/4HP Cabelas one that Larry has with #12 neck. unless you have a person cutting and loading the tray with another one feeding it you're not saving much time at all. it helps you save time is the way you cut the meat for the grind pile when trimming and deboning.  with a decent grinder you cut it into strips and it'll just eat. as fast as you feed it. 

I cut , my wife feeds. So yes a 3/4 would work for us. I think if I can double the out put from what I have now it would be perfect. As I said our current one is rated for 2 lbs a minute, and most 3/4’s are rated for 4-6 lbs a minute. 

11 hours ago, mowin said:

Look for a #22 or larger Hobart/globe grinder.  I've put 1000's of # of venison, pork and beef through mine over the yrs.  Can't stop 'em..

Weston #22 .... Love it! Bought it this time of year on sale. Year later bought a vacuum sealer from them. Equally happy with that.