Waterfowl Chokes

Al Bundy

On 1/3/2019 at 12:02 PM, Al Bundy said:

OK guys and gals (and others in this day and age).. I bought a Benelli SBE3 a few weeks ago and have been trying to get it dialed in. I been hitting most of if not all of the birds so my pattern is on the birds.  This from my hunting buddy and visually seeing a bunch of snows contort themselves in a funny manner mid flight. I nailed at least a few snows last weekend and nothing fell. My buddy dropped one that literally nearly fell on his head. I hear this ... "You better not fall on me mother frigger" and I hear a THUD. One down for him. Mine though kept flying.  The entire reason I got this new gun was due to my BPS only shooting 3in. Now I have the 3 1/2 incher (Size DOES matter!!!) which should give me an additional edge. Does not seem to be however.  I looked into a chokes and see all kind of shit all over about whats best worst, factory etc so on so fourth. I also see Benelli says they don't recommend a full choke for geese with steel as there is no benefit to it.  Then I find the patternmaster goose (and duck) chokes.  Goose choke says good out to 70 yards. Also says good for SBE2. Assume SBE3 as well.  So... the question. Anyone here using said chokes in a Benelli? If not.. what is your best reaching choke for max range waterfowl?? I was using black cloud ammo. I don't want to cripple any more birds and I should not be. I still miss lead.

I shoot a SBE2 and also a Beretta A400, I shoot 3.5” BB Black Clouds. The best choke combo for both those guns/ammo is the Pattermaster Black Cloud “Classic” mid range tube. I have the long range also but doesn’t pattern as well. I can actually run down cripples better with the mid then the long. I do this for a living so for me I need to dispatch birds as quickly as possible and get back into the pit