Coyote hunting

Now that I have my caller, Foxpro Patriot, I now have ideas for shotgun. But at this point I have no clue how to even use this caller effectively and what call sequence how often. Really what can I do to be successful. I'd love to call in and take a shot my first time out. IDK how doable that is but there are definitely plenty of coyotes on the property I hunt. I used to hear them all the time and caught 4 on my cam running in a pack back in October. Anyways thanks for any tips and tricks you can give. Also will be hunting Early morning and before Dark.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Using the caller is only a part of it. Just like deer you have to learn the critter you are hunting. Put yourself in a good shooting  position on the down wind side you expect them to come from. Keep the caller at or pointing to the upwind side. 99% of the time they will approach from down wind. If they circle your position and get a whiff they are gone.

No guarantees in predator hunting and always expect the unexpected. I am sure there will be more advice coming from others on here. Good luck and don't educate them all.

• Like 3

Using the caller is only a part of it. Just like deer you have to learn the critter you are hunting. Put yourself in a good shooting  position on the down wind side you expect them to come from. Keep the caller at or pointing to the upwind side. 99% of the time they will approach from down wind. If they circle your position and get a whiff they are gone.
 No guarantees in predator hunting and always expect the unexpected. I am sure there will be more advice coming from others on here. Good luck and don't educate them all.
Got a couple spots to hunt from. Thinking my blind may be a good hideout just inside the woods so I can slam em as they try and come in

2 minutes ago, Steve D said:

and when it happens...it usually happens fast. I start out with a low volume mice, mole,vole rabbit for a few minutes, then a few minutes of silence, followed with a little louder volume for like 5 minutes, followed by 5 minutes of silence, last call I use if nothing has happened is pup cries or whines. I switch up the the mice, rabbits, and use bird distress (day) sometimes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Engraver99 said:

boggles me also, but that's the way it is...lol...been that way for the 12 years I been going after them.

I'm just going off hundreds and hundreds of trail cam video clips and a fair amount of opportunities to see tracks in the snow each year.  They sure seem to be around each and every day according to my eyeballs. 

I WISH they were only around every 2-3 weeks.......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I'm just going off hundreds and hundreds of trail cam video clips and a fair amount of opportunities to see tracks in the snow each year.  They sure seem to be around each and every day according to my eyeballs. 

I WISH they were only around every 2-3 weeks.......

Where are you...i am in schoharie/delaware county...wish my area was like yours. Our small game here sucks as well. I coulf count on 1 hand how many rabbits I've seen in 12 years.

42 minutes ago, Engraver99 said:

Where are you...i am in schoharie/delaware county...wish my area was like yours. Our small game here sucks as well. I coulf count on 1 hand how many rabbits I've seen in 12 years.

Near Gilboa?  Our farm is above Livingstonville, and we have a crap ton of coyotes.

6 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Near Gilboa?  Our farm is above Livingstonville, and we have a crap ton of coyotes.

i'm in jefferson/Stamford area - maybe that's where they go after they leave here....lol...send some up this way...George at Georges gunshop says he has alot of coyote, bobcats, and bear around him in grand gorge. you guys ought to send some up our way!

Edited by Engraver99

Not much of a coyote hunter, but I’ve just shot them in bow and gun season .

Shot them as they crept up on turkeys , came in after deer I’ve dropped ,or just as they walked by . Never tried calling or night hunting, although I’m up for that .

Why do guys go out at night ? Are they more active then ?

I do have a friend who runs them with dogs over miles and miles ,he kills an ungodly number of them , that seems fun,perhaps I’ll give him a call .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Not much of a coyote hunter, but I’ve just shot them in bow and gun season .

Shot them as they crept up on turkeys , came in after deer I’ve dropped ,or just as they walked by . Never tried calling or night hunting, although I’m up for that .

Why do guys go out at night ? Are they more active then ?

I do have a friend who runs them with dogs over miles and miles ,he kills an ungodly number of them , that seems fun,perhaps I’ll give him a call .

I like going at night because its just flat out fun.  Seeing the eyes reflect back and then losing them and then they reappear.  I have only done one day hunt, but treeguy is schooling me for night hunts.  Skip euchre tomorrow!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Engraver99 said:

I am heading out tonight for a bit to check a couple of spots. have not heard them around lately but going to give it a shot. Where I am they have a wide travel area and you only hear them every 2-3 weeks.

I'm over in the Berne area. They travel quite a bit here too. Whenever I'd hear them at the lake property, I wouldn't at the farm property, and vise versa. About five miles apart. But no doubt there are always a couple home bodys that stick around.

My favorite coyote set ups are in a hedgerow, with a field in front of me and behind me, with the wind in my face. Calling to a thick area, where I expect them to be. A decoy out 75 yards away helps keep them focused on something. I like to start with a challenge bark and howl. Go silent then start with a distressed rabbit. This gives the impression that "hey we got interlopers, and they are stealing our food"!!!  This works well during the daylight hours for us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Just day hunting. Don't think the land owner wants to hear a random shotgun blast at 2am in his back yard

They probably wouldnt hear it. I used to sit in a spot that was less than 100 feet from our old house, and more than once shot fox with an AR on a calm night. Noone that was in the house ever knew.

They probably wouldnt hear it. I used to sit in a spot that was less than 100 feet from our old house, and more than once shot fox with an AR on a calm night. Noone that was in the house ever knew.
When he shoots trap on his property I can usually hear it from my house about a mile and a half in a straight line. Then when I used to hear a single shot I just always assumed he killed one

Just now, The Jerkman said:

When he shoots trap on his property I can usually hear it from my house about a mile and a half in a straight line. Then when I used to hear a single shot I just always assumed he killed one

You hear that when you are inside the house?